Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
My prediction for the spoiler character: If Cass isn’t dead her consciousness in some liminal space connected to the Woman in White. Or in other words, if she’s not dead her consciousness hitched a ride back to wherever powers come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Undine
Kokoro
Zoe
Rue
Cass

I'm boring.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think Cass is probably dead, but if she's not my theory would be that her consciousness hitched a ride to wherever powers come from. It's not a very good theory, but does satisfy the condition that she's not anywhere Anemone can perceive.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think the blank eyes are literal. It looks to me like it's just a way to represent their being dead.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

idonotlikepeas posted:

MHA has canonically trans characters in it, which is pretty good as far as manga/anime goes. Hell, I can't, offhand, think of any other even vaguely mainstream piece of media that has sympathetic trans characters in it.

Of course, Sleepless Domain is over here with Tessa the Token Straight.

One Piece has sympathetic trans characters. Sometimes it misses the mark, especially with Sanji, but I think Oda's heart is generally in the right place.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Posting here to express my support of that powerful wink

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
My theory about how she knows so much about what goes on at night is still that she has reconnaissance powers that compliment her laser powers. But I would also accept that her gossip abilities are entirely mundane and need no explanation. That would maybe even be preferable.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I dunno, students make all kinds of dumb assumptions about their teachers.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In this particular instance I don't think it's all that unreasonable to think she might have been a magical girl, but I don't think the fact that a kid is assuming it makes it any better of an assumption.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hmm Bud isn't taking this well at all. She's used to knowing everything and has been completely blindsided. Now she's trying to get more information and pushing the guilt button at the same time.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 8, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
HP had it figured out at least. It probably would have happened sooner if Undine weren't working through Some poo poo.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

rannum posted:

but if Undine did tell everyone, I don't think Cassidy would have believed her at all. Even Bud's got a hard time taking all this in and she's fairly levelheaded, Cassidy's got a bunch of chips on her shoulders as-is. "Oh so we're just supposed to BELIEVE that someone pulled the strings and got all your friends killed?", that kind of thing

Just reacting to a bit of what you said, but I think Bud normally seems levelheaded because she strives to avoid this exact situation of being blindsided by new information. She's probably the most agitated one in the room.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

I can just see Rue's ears perking up at that last line.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
With the attention brought to Vedka's uneasy relationship with her powers on the last page this seems like a natural transition to But thinking they could be useful against Goops.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh yikes I said But instead of Bud. Heh. Butt.

But anyway I don't we're going to get another member of the gang picked off so soon.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The way the wall fades into the white "sky" makes it read as completely flat, despite the shading. It's a weird look. Not bad, but I can't tell if that's how I'm supposed to read it or not.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I wonder how power loss happens normally. Maybe they wake up one day and their hair is back to normal?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Close acquaintances who just had a big fight with someone who then disappears would be one of the first suspects in an investigation of foul play. Statistically they are likely to have had something to do with it, especially if you ignore details of the specific situation like "Undine would never do that."

At least in the real world. The persistent threat of nightly monster attacks would probably change that calculus somewhat for their world.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think the fact that Kokoro has gone quiet would really focus most people's priorities, not just a soldier's. But yeah, it's definitely an intense moment.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This seems like a pretty clear parallel to what happened with Tessa. Someone pushing her power so hard it burns itself out.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Joe Slowboat posted:

Except Tessa poured her power into Undine - which is where Undine's new eye color thing comes from, and where her power boost seems to have come from.

So it's not quite the same.

Sure, the application of the power was different, so the external result of the application was different. But they both poured all their power into doing something extreme, which seems like the relevant detail.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

girl dick energy posted:

I think a possible way it could have been made clearer, but also a cool moment, is if the transformation was kind of falling apart as she went, but she held it together and kept going anyways.

tbf we did get a minor version of that. Her hair was already transitioning back to black before her powers burned away completely.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I hope Zoe never has to deal with that. Since her mark is on her eye and everything.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Ironically her cat twitter page is more popular than her personal one. https://twitter.com/CagleCats

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The condescension seems mostly for Anemone.

Who, I just noticed, seems to have a somewhat unstable form. Her lines are all distorted in the first panel, and maybe they are getting more stable by the end, but it's hard to tell since it's a wider shot and from a different angle. Definitely still some waviness though. And that bright light at the spot where she got shot is still there in the wider angle, too.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Either Goops is decent at acting like Tessa sometimes or it's more or less an even fusion. That self hatred line makes sense from both the Tessa side and the Goops side. Gooptessa saving HP isn't even really a Goops thing at all. Meanwhile going after Anemone isn't a Tessa thing at all. So it seems like both of them are there, with some actions reflecting one more than the other.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This seems like a pretty good setup for Vedika to get desperate and try mental attacking a monster.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Copy power seems like kind of a stretch from telepathy. Maybe monster control? The capacity for some kind of mental attack seems pretty likely.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Tenebrais posted:

There's something a little sad about Vedika joking to herself about alternative magical girl titles, like she's still hoping she can re-imagine herself in a way that might be actually useful.

Here's hoping it's the lead up to discovering how her own powers are useful.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I hadn't really considered what a non-transformed Gooptessa would be like. I guess I've been assuming it wouldn't be possible. It would be a neat trick if Goops could hide away like that, though I don't think she'd ever want to reveal her new transformation to anyone with authority. Seems like it would raise way too many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That is some very nice looking flare smoke. Smoke seems hard enough to draw, glowing smoke seems like it would be even harder.