Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

These look like North American products by the mention of NEMA, UL, CSA, and the voltages. Does this apply to UK products too?

Totally uninformed hot take: a circuit breaker is a circuit breaker. These are rated 50-60Hz up to 240V. The code differences come into play in how you use them in a circuit.

This was speculation, mostly so I could go on the record as a smartypants if someone knowledgeable says I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Circuit breakers in the UK are different in that they often come with TFCI (Teabiscuit-Fault Circuit Interrupt)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know they don't put electrical outlets in their bathrooms for reasons probably related to also still having separate hot and cold water taps.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Polestar 2 adaptive cruise in heavy traffic works pretty well if you, somewhat counterintuitively, increase the follow distance. When you do that, it's nice and smooth. If you keep the follow distance close, it's absulutely awful.
My biggest issue with all the self driving stuff is there's no look-ahead. No anticipation, just reaction. Can it react faster than a human? Probably. Can it gauge the radius of an upcoming turn and adjust speed and steering angle so it can follow a smooth line instead of PS1 polygoning it? No. Can it see that there's an RV up ahead that's going to take the next corner a lot slower than you might, and slow down in advance, instead of throwing on the binders mid corner when it suddenly senses a slow moving vehicle in its vision? No. Yes it might react with the brakes sooner than a human, but if it could look ahead and anticipate, it wouldn't have to.

This is what I've noticed with Tesla, sometimes youre expecting an (incorrect) reaction and it doesnt happen, which is impressive when you think about what the cameras and system are processing and the decision-making going on. Other times you can tell that it cant work as well as a human because that car that is pulling across into the median strip in order to turn on the road you're on technically *could* continue it's trajectory which would result in you piling into it, and so it brakes..... when you know that no one would be stupid enough to pull into the median then keep going directly into your path. (humour me here....)

That kind of stuff where it needs to think more like a human will be really tough because we inherently put some level of trust in other drivers whereas it just sees a car moving in a trajectory that will cause a collision and therefore it reacts

I will also add that fleet FSD enabling has been done before by Tesla i think to boost data. It doesnt mean that every car will be using FSD because its still up to the driver whether or not they enable it. We dont have full FSD here in Aus like you do in the States, my experience with it is it was not quite as bad as a 16 year old on a cell phone but still wasnt good enough that i would bother with it anyway so it makes no difference to me

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Hopefully we can make the next generation of Leafs, Souls, etc much cheaper with these. Good enough performance for the majority of people.

do you mean "good enough for the majority of new car buyers to buy them"? cause bevs have been good enough for the majority of people for thirty years, going back to nicds. hell, there never stopped being weirdos home-building and daily driving lead-acid BEVs, going back to the 1910s. but people don't make huge purchases based on whats good enough, and OEMs don't give a poo poo about anyone but the first owner, who tends to be moneyed and want something "sporty" with a range 10-40x the length of their commute. if sodium gets a Nah from the suburbanite / smalltime landlord / software engineer demo that might be enough to make it inviable.

course, that said, god drat 18650s of Naion are a buck fifty, and commercial production is less than two years old. if that relative price point holds out under increased demand we might actually see a BEV economy car that's cheaper than the cheapest new gasoline vehicles for the first time

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It'll be huge for stationary applications, too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cactus Ghost posted:

course, that said, god drat 18650s of Naion are a buck fifty, and commercial production is less than two years old. if that relative price point holds out under increased demand we might actually see a BEV economy car that's cheaper than the cheapest new gasoline vehicles for the first time

This already happened. BYD’s Seagull costs $10k. It'll be a while until cars like that are sold in North America though.

Edit: The biggest hurdle for econo boxe EVs getting sold is home charging. Most people who buy those cheap cars don't have the living situation where charging at home is easy or cheap to do.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 27, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Speleothing posted:

It'll be huge for stationary applications, too.

Yeah grid storage isn’t nearly as weight or space sensitive, so building huge banks of sodium batteries on the cheap makes perfect sense. I suspect that market alone will keep investment into the technology lucrative, and the energy density and manufacturing technologies will naturally improve over time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I gotta assume there's also an environmental benefit? Sodium seems like it must be way easier to acquire / recycle / dispose of than lithium.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

I gotta assume there's also an environmental benefit? Sodium seems like it must be way easier to acquire / recycle / dispose of than lithium.

Political benefit too. No need to rely on importing goods from countries not friendly with your own.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Muscle Tracer posted:

Throwing it into the ocean just makes the ocean saltier.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

If you've got a desalination plant, hey presto free sodium for your battery plant next door!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Silly Burrito posted:

Plus it's already the natural home of car batteries.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This already happened. BYD’s Seagull costs $10k. It'll be a while until cars like that are sold in North America though.

Edit: The biggest hurdle for econo boxe EVs getting sold is home charging. Most people who buy those cheap cars don't have the living situation where charging at home is easy or cheap to do.

i was being us centric, yes. append "in the us market" to that post

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

https://electrek.co/2024/03/06/byd-launches-cheaper-seagull-ev-9700-price/

That's pretty awesome. I wonder how safe they are.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cactus Ghost posted:

. if sodium gets a Nah

:haw:

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah sodium's, like, everywhere, they also don't require cobalt in their construction, which has major ethical concerns around its production.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Are BYD’s cars death traps in an accident or is that just racist propaganda?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They have good NCAP ratings so I'd say the latter.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

China's been exporting their cars to Europe for some time. So yeah, definitely the latter. The current government in USA says that we shouldn't accept Chinese vehicles because they're a national security risk.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Their export models are fine - they put some effort into attaining 5 star NCAP ratings

All bets are off for domestic models though - just look at what happened with the MG5 in Australia (that was a car that never should have been sold in that market)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sodium catches fire when you drop it in water you people are trying to get us all killed.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

bird with big dick posted:

Sodium catches fire when you drop it in water you people are trying to get us all killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-JFqxH72E

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ultium bolt pls

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
ABG did a walkthrough on the (very very) early R2 and... I really like it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hn6xFMz-Q

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah, that's why all the oceans are on fire, genius :rolleyes:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

dissss posted:

Their export models are fine - they put some effort into attaining 5 star NCAP ratings

All bets are off for domestic models though - just look at what happened with the MG5 in Australia (that was a car that never should have been sold in that market)

It seems pretty well established that most car manufacturers are "teaching to the test" so to speak; they do what's required to get a good crash score for a particular market and absolutely nothing else. Dan Luu had an article about this a couple of years ago that I thought was pretty interesting.

quote:

When the driver-side small overlap test was added in 2012, most manufacturers modified their vehicles to improve driver-side small overlap test scores. However, until the IIHS added a passenger-side small overlap test in 2018, most manufacturers skimped on the passenger side. When the new test was added, they beefed up passenger safety as well. To be fair to car manufacturers, some of them got the hint about small overlap crashes when the driver-side test was added in 2012 and did not need to make further modifications to score well on the passenger-side test, including Mercedes, BMW, and Tesla (and arguably a couple of others, but the data is thinner in the other cases; Volvo didn’t need a hint).

It goes into a lot more detail; I found it to be worth reading. The conclusion is pretty much that Volvo is in a class of its own when it comes to safety culture, but the article is from 2020 and mostly relies on pretty old data and I don't know to what extent it's still true.

e: here's a comparison of a 2015 Nissan NP300 made for the European market (grey) vs a 2019 Nissan NP300 made for the African market (white):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_2MdSTM7g

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Getting the lyriq tinted and PPF’d, they gave me an XT6 as a loaner. Ugh, what a piece that is. I was shocked at how unpleasant it was. The bolt euv is absolutely nicer inside, roomier for the rear occupants, and way more fun to drive. I miss my lyriq.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess Volvo did back away from their no fatalities by 2020 pledge, that was pretty bold though.

The auto braking scares the poo poo out of me but is super effective :haw:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheFluff posted:

It seems pretty well established that most car manufacturers are "teaching to the test" so to speak; they do what's required to get a good crash score for a particular market and absolutely nothing else. Dan Luu had an article about this a couple of years ago that I thought was pretty interesting.

It goes into a lot more detail; I found it to be worth reading. The conclusion is pretty much that Volvo is in a class of its own when it comes to safety culture, but the article is from 2020 and mostly relies on pretty old data and I don't know to what extent it's still true.

e: here's a comparison of a 2015 Nissan NP300 made for the European market (grey) vs a 2019 Nissan NP300 made for the African market (white):

Maybe the white trucks occupants would actually faire better since their truck crumpled a lot more, who’s to say really.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

The oceans are salty because they blew up the ocean, duh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Where do you think waves come from? Tiny explosions of sodium, duh.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

TheFluff posted:

That's not quite the same thing though - that's comparing a 1990s design that happens to be sold in some markets with a much more modern vehicle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

That's not quite the same thing though - that's comparing a 1990s design that happens to be sold in some markets with a much more modern vehicle.

That's sort of the point though. The group is Global NCAP, with the hashtag safercarsforafrica. Why is a 2019 truck sold in Africa so much worse than the same model designation as a 2015 European model? Why is it OK to sell unsafe vehicles to poorer markets?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Supposedly coming 2025/26. but only as the "SUV" version.

in reality it'll probably be twice the size and cost $45k+

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They need the extra two years for the software team to assure marketing and accounting that there’s no way to sideload Apple CarPlay

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

stevewm posted:

Supposedly coming 2025/26. but only as the "SUV" version.

in reality it'll probably be twice the size and cost $45k+

You just described an Equinox.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Silly Burrito posted:

speaking of Ocean...

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-startup-fisker-slashes-prices-ocean-suv-amid-debt-troubles-2024-03-27/

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

BYD literally has the safest batteries in the industry, the blade batteries won't catch fire even when punctured. The batteries in their PHEV vehicles less so. Their cars ,at least the new ones, in and out of china have had excellent safety ratings. You'd hear a lot more complaints from Chinese customers if it were otherwise.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BYD also overtook Tesla in worldwide EV production last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

BYD also overtook Tesla in worldwide EV production last year.

That included their PHEVs though right?