Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That included their PHEVs though right?

Dang you're right, they're right on Tesla's heels though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Finger Prince posted:

That's sort of the point though. The group is Global NCAP, with the hashtag safercarsforafrica. Why is a 2019 truck sold in Africa so much worse than the same model designation as a 2015 European model? Why is it OK to sell unsafe vehicles to poorer markets?

Because in those markets there is demand and no standards preventing such vehicles from being sold.

Same reason you can buy a Jeep Wrangler or Ford Mustang (both of which have crappy NCAP ratings) or a dumb Cybertruck that hasn't been properly crash tested at all.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Anyone know if you can toggle between adaptive cruise control and regular cruise control in the Kia EV6?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There should be a button to enable or disable the adaptive part. And a corresponding icon on the screen. All should be outlined in your user manual in the glove compartment.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

Because in those markets there is demand and no standards preventing such vehicles from being sold.

Same reason you can buy a Jeep Wrangler or Ford Mustang (both of which have crappy NCAP ratings) or a dumb Cybertruck that hasn't been properly crash tested at all.

Yeah, so, a safety lobby crash tests some outwardly similar models to illustrate the disparity in hope of forcing manufacturers to adhere to safety standards that they already build to. Because the manufacturers won't do it until the PR gets unteneble. They also mention in the video that if you're concerned about safety, you're better off buying an older used model imported from Europe rather than a new model sold locally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Someone at my work complex has a CX-90 PHEV and I want to talk to them about it so bad! I dunno if I want to leave a note on it though. Hoping I just run into them as coming or going though!

Looks pretty nice, smaller than I thought it would be!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Nitrox posted:

There should be a button to enable or disable the adaptive part. And a corresponding icon on the screen. All should be outlined in your user manual in the glove compartment.

I agree that there SHOULD be such a button, but not all cars have them. Some cursory searches would suggest that the EV6 doesn't, but I figured maybe there had been a software update since then.

(I don't have an EV6)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

priznat posted:

Someone at my work complex has a CX-90 PHEV and I want to talk to them about it so bad! I dunno if I want to leave a note on it though. Hoping I just run into them as coming or going though!

Looks pretty nice, smaller than I thought it would be!

Just wait in the parking lot to jump out like a normal person.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Jump out of their car to make sure they notice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

*leaps out of darkened garage* HEY NICE CAR AAAA NO YOU RAN ME OVER

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Per posted:

Anyone know if you can toggle between adaptive cruise control and regular cruise control in the Kia EV6?
In what situation would you use regular over adaptive?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Vegetable posted:

I love adaptive on highways, but really dislike it on motorways. The car will be slowing down unless I change lane to overtake earlier than I would like. Or the car will be braking like crazy because the car in front of me is taking the exit. Those are the two most annoying scenarios.

Per fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 28, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Just got the FSD beta 12 software and went for a drive after work. (The end-to-end AI release.)

This is legitimately the first one that they should have let out of the lab. It’s not perfect, but most of FSD’s previous worst foibles are corrected. It isn’t steaming dogshit at lane selection anymore, it can actually properly control vehicle speed instead of swinging unpredictably from 15 under to twenty over, and phantom braking seems to be far better (nearly nonexistent) thus far. It’s also far better at merging into a lane with traffic in it than it used to be.

New issue though; They trained it on humans, so it centers the driver’s position in the lane like a doofus and hugs the right lane limit, it goes around corners like a grandma driving a tuk-tuk full of priceless bone china, and it’ll punch it off the line to 40mph in a 50 zone, trail off to ~35 and then finally, agonizingly, slowly accelerate to the set speed.

If you drove it around Miami at rush hour, literally no one would be able to tell it wasn’t just a typical awful Miami driver.
From a few pages back but I'd be interested to hear if you see any difference when you get the 12.3.1/12.3.2 update, which allegedly fixes the granny speed problems.
It's essentially impossible to find any actual objective information about this killer(TM) tech. But it is interesting (if somewhat horrifying) to see the changes to it happen
It's also fun to see comments on videos about it where usually two to three people are watching because they don't want to try the new version themselves due to having spent $400 on tires previously because the software took their vehicle over a curb at high speed.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 28, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

priznat posted:

*leaps out of darkened garage* HEY NICE CAR AAAA NO YOU RAN ME OVER

Its not a Tesla

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That included their PHEVs though right?

I believe in Q4/2023 they surpassed Tesla in EVs as well. Not over the whole of 2023 though.

Including PHEV they’ve been ahead for a while already.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Ford's adaptive shuts off semi-easily with some wet light snow and doesn't fail over to regular cruise control. So cue a minor scramble to get back on the throttle manually and then having to thumb-dance into the driver assist settings to switch it to standard cruise.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Per posted:

You can't. I checked on the way in to work today and it's only adaptive. It's a least one of the better systems I've used though, partially due to not needing to shift and having plenty of power so it keeps the exact speed at all times and uses pretty aggressive following rules.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

darnon posted:

Ford's adaptive shuts off semi-easily with some wet light snow and doesn't fail over to regular cruise control. So cue a minor scramble to get back on the throttle manually and then having to thumb-dance into the driver assist settings to switch it to standard cruise.

You shouldn't be running normal cruise in snowy conditions.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On all VWs I think it's adaptive cruise or no cruise, and the reason I was given was that "if the driver is fully accustomed to the cruise being adaptive, they might not react in time to avoid dangers that time the cruise would be set to none-adaptive".

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Marques Brownlee single handidly destroyed that company lol

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You shouldn't be running normal cruise in snowy conditions.

I figured someone would respond with this. This is when the ground (and even air temperature) is warm enough that the snow isn't accumulating on the road, but sticks just fine to the cold piece of plastic in front of the radar.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
PHEV drivers are not plugging in enough.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/03/27/1090172/the-problem-with-plug-in-hybrids-their-drivers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My Prius Prime in ICE mode gets about 45 mpg, I am averaging about 120-130mpg over a few 10k mile intervals.

Makes sense in the article that the worst users of the EV mode were for company / fleet PHEVs, probably being used in places / by people without easy ability to hook up to charge. Mine just goes back on the plug everytime it hits my garage, so far so good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah same, since buying mine in November I have filled up the tank about 1.5 times and both the car mileage and my calculated one is telling me about 2L/100km. Some days during my commute the engine doesn’t turn on at all. Other times I put it in sport mode if I’m feeling spicy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

darnon posted:

I figured someone would respond with this. This is when the ground (and even air temperature) is warm enough that the snow isn't accumulating on the road, but sticks just fine to the cold piece of plastic in front of the radar.

This happens with the forward sensing unit on our Golf, too. But for safety purposes, surely you realize that a cutover to normal cruise would be very dangerous in most situations, where the sensor is obscured by accumulating snow.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Probably less so than "oh, here's your full off-throttle regen braking all of a sudden."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was really surprised to hear in savagegeese's review of the bmw i5 m60 how lovely the throttle response was.. That should be a BMW thing!! how have they not sorted it. Seems like a really old tech platform too, not great range or charging speed. Almost like it's for compliance in europe or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

darnon posted:

Probably less so than "oh, here's your full off-throttle regen braking all of a sudden."

now consider all the people who would just leave regular cruise control on in the snow

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

We did a survey and focus group back in 2016 and there were people who got PHEVs exclusively so they could get HOV access in the Bay Area. They never plugged in their vehicles -- they just wanted the carpool lane sticker.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

priznat posted:

Yah same, since buying mine in November I have filled up the tank about 1.5 times and both the car mileage and my calculated one is telling me about 2L/100km. Some days during my commute the engine doesn’t turn on at all. Other times I put it in sport mode if I’m feeling spicy.

I don’t remember if we had this slap fight, but don’t leave gas that’s older than 2-3 months in your tank for the sake of your engine. This probably means running it in hybrid mode every couple months and not filling up your tank past half way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

I don’t remember if we had this slap fight, but don’t leave gas that’s older than 2-3 months in your tank for the sake of your engine. This probably means running it in hybrid mode every couple months and not filling up your tank past half way.

Yah that’s definitely sensible, I’ve been following that as my excuse to enable polestar mode :haw:

I default to hybrid mode now and even with that it rarely turns on the engine. I have to stomp it pretty good. It does use the maps app to also determine if it needs to run the ice to keep the battery from getting emptied but my trips aren’t long enough to have it turn on.

I would like them to have a feature when battery drops below 20% it uses the engine to charge it up to 50 or something like that. There is the option to charge battery but you have to manually turn it on and off.

In the winter months I prefer to keep my tank full ish due to reducing condensation in the tank, that’s a holdover habit for me.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

stevewm posted:

Supposedly coming 2025/26. but only as the "SUV" version.

in reality it'll probably be twice the size and cost $45k+

Speleothing posted:

You just described an Equinox.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45688343/2024-chevrolet-equinox-ev-price/

UPDATE 2/13/24: Chevrolet released additional pricing for the front-wheel-drive Equinox EV beyond just the launch models that will be available in 2RS trim with additional equipment. Orders are opening soon for these additional FWD trims. The 2LT starts at $43,295, the 2RS starts at $44,795, the 3LT starts at $45,295, and the 3RS starts at $46,795. We expect the dual-motor all-wheel-drive powertrain to cost around $3400 extra given the prices for the 2RS launch models.

:smith:

So what’s the next best future prospect for a small suv AWD EV with a former Bolt/Leaf price?

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
why is it so hard to just make a loving $25k ev car?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You should just make one, show all these fools how it's done.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45688343/2024-chevrolet-equinox-ev-price/

UPDATE 2/13/24: Chevrolet released additional pricing for the front-wheel-drive Equinox EV beyond just the launch models that will be available in 2RS trim with additional equipment. Orders are opening soon for these additional FWD trims. The 2LT starts at $43,295, the 2RS starts at $44,795, the 3LT starts at $45,295, and the 3RS starts at $46,795. We expect the dual-motor all-wheel-drive powertrain to cost around $3400 extra given the prices for the 2RS launch models.

:smith:

So what’s the next best future prospect for a small suv AWD EV with a former Bolt/Leaf price?

Buy used.
Including an AWD option seems to really jump the price for everyone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

That's how much the bolt EV was?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Russian Bear posted:

The Volt had a fuel-care feature where if the gas in your tank was 12 months old (longer than 2-3 months I guess because it has a pressurized gas tank to keep the gas good longer), it would begin burning it off regardless of the state of your battery to get the fuel out of your tank before it gets old enough to cause any damage.

The part that worried me about it is that it'd use the average age of the fuel in your tank... so if I had a quarter tank of gas that hit the 12 month old mark, and added another quarter tank of gas; then the car considered that the entire half tank of gas had an age of 6 months. I don't know how safe doing that actually is.. maybe mixing old gas with newer gas does keep the old gas viable for longer?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I read an article that Ford has some cheap EVs in the pipeline that haven't been announced yet, but you'll excuse me if I have my doubts about the delivered products.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

There are vanishingly few cars at an MSRP under $25k regardless of how its powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDkzm_LR0Co

Doug no