Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm assuming they need to sell every one they make in the EU (at a loss if needed) so they can sell their high end / high margin cars and SUVs.

Too bad the Germans shut down so much of their nuclear power, although I think their coal is finally dropping. I'd like to see exactly how detailed these projections get, I'd guess none of them are the point where they're considering the increased wear and tear on the road due to the weight of EVs, necessitating more frequent repairs. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that seems like a rabbit hole with no end.

*edit*
Actually I was just thinking of Teslas with regards to weight, I don't know how something like a Volt compares to similarly sized cars.
Tbh I doubt the extra few hundred kg over an equivalent ICE car is of any great significance to road wear when there's full size trucks and big SUVs rolling around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Huh, really? I always assumed it was a similar limit to here, 44 tonnes, so 97,000lbs.

Surprised the US is lower, especially by so large a margin.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

But that is still just a portable EVSE. What the discussion was about was a cable connecting directly to the raw grid without any electronics in the middle.
I think they know, the point is likely more "why are you loving with the wiring on a wall charger when a granny cable will both solve your immediate charging problem, and be a useful backup farther afield".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

I don't think they are, since I have a hard time believing any EV would be willing to charge with that kind of cable. Until Nitrox shows a picture of his cable I assume they were talking about portable EVSE.

I'm not sure if we're talking at cross purposes here, but that kind of unitary cable pictured which plugs the car into a wall socket, and includes the correct control/management inline, is a real thing. I had an EV and they were an OEM option/accessory for people who needed to charge in locations away from a proper installed charge point.

Edit: I'm talking about the cable VictualSquid posted, in the context of "why gently caress with bodging something when you can just buy a cable to plug in?"

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 29, 2024

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

I know, this whole discussion is about bypassing those controls.
Ok, I thought this part of the discussion was specific to why you'd even bother doing that when they make a cable you can just plug in to a wall socket if you need an emergency backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't hate the new Dacia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)