Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi, thread. I'm trying to branch out to more of SA. This seems like a nice thread.

My wife and I have a Model 3 and my daughter has a Leaf. They're both fun in different ways: the Tesla is like a batmobile, and the Leaf is fun to upgrade with all the aftermarket dashcams and stereos and stuff.

Cruftette Jr has been driving this 80-mile round-trip three times a week, and it costs her between 60¢ and $1.20 to charge enough to get back home, depending on whether she remembered to charge up the day before. $1.20 would have gotten her diddly squat range in our old Subaru. This is awesome.

If anybody in here has any experience with the thing where you can run current out of the Leaf and into your house, I'd love to hear about how it's going for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

I haven't heard word one about the Leaf being used as a home battery except for articles about demos in Japan. Have you heard of people doing it?

I haven't heard of anyone yet, but I remain hopeful!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Popero posted:

So loving boring.

You say boring, I say accessible. EVs can't all be weirdmobiles if VW is converting their entire fleet.

I'm really excited about the microbus, I hope it lives up to the concept version.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The moment dieselgate got exposed to the world, an electric VW microbus should have become priority #1 for the whole company.

Instead, we’re getting it in 2023.

Maybe. If they feel like it.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it played out, it's just that converting multiple production lines to a radically different drivetrain is incredibly complicated, even if you've been making cars for almost a century and know a thing or two about manufacturing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Did anybody ever answer the question in the thread title?

It's 48.6.

A Powerwall 2 has 13.5 kWh, which is 48.6 megajoules. A stick of dynamite is about 1 megajoule. So 48.6 sticks of dynamite is equivalent to one Powerwall.

E: a gallon of gasoline is about 33.41kWh per gallon [source]. So a Powerwall 2 is equivalent to 4/10 a gallon of gasoline, and my Model 3 has enough batteries to store the equivalent of 2 gallons of gasoline. Gasoline has a lot of energy in it, and this really illustrates the efficiencies you get with an electric car, I think! Imagine going 353 miles on 2 gallons of gasoline!

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 29, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao, is there a rational reason why someone would do that?

Maybe they wanted to go just a little bit faster for a fraction of a second?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

:argh:

I didn’t show my work to be fair, but I got close!

I don't think the energy in a stick of dynamite is, like, super accurately defined, so "about 50" is probably as good an answer as 48.6.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Edit: apologies if this has been covered, but is it typically “better” to lease an EV vs buying one? I ask since I assume after three years there will be a better model of whichever vehicle I end up going with.

I was under the impression it is never in your fiscal interest to lease, regardless of the drivetrain technology. But I heard that 10 years ago, so I'm bumping your question 😉

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

particle9 posted:

I am also not smart so this is just what I think and you can tell me why I'm wrong and I won't listen probably.

I wish every post on the Internet ended with this. It probably wouldn't stop people from yelling at each other, but at least I would feel like they were being honest with each other.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

There's just no way around the fact that it leaches through metals and there's no practical and safe way to store enough of it at a car level, EV's are all over the country and 90% of the infrastructure already exists to power them, H2 is dead.

If I were a betting man I'd put most of my money on electric conversions for gas cars being the future.

And then I'd put some more money on artisanal gas cars as playthings for the wealthy.

I was around when digital watches came out and I'm absolutely certain electric cars are going to be the same story.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If any of you has the license plate number "5*WATTS" I apologize for the lame joke I just made at the DC fast charger.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A powerwall 2 also has as much energy as 64.53 m³ of ham.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't know why it took me this long to block CleanTechnica from my news feed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The thing with EVs generally is that you shouldn't be thinking about when you should or shouldn't charge when you're at home; If you're home it should be plugged in, Period. Even on 110v, there are probably vanishingly few people who couldn't live with an EV if the thing is plugged in whenever they're at home. It's not like you wake up in the morning and go unplug the car even if you're not leaving.

I am of course intentionally disregarding the separate and totally real concern of people who cannot plug the car in at home at all. (Apartments, condos, etc)

You're also disregarding the Leaf's insane algorithm for charging up the 12v lead acid battery.

Getting cables to parked cars in urban areas with sidewalks and inside bike lanes is going to be challenging, and I can't think of any way to do it without overhanging fixtures, which nobody is going to pay for, so there's going to be a lot of senseless fighting in the future about where the cables should go. And I've already seen people suggest "just use public chargers", so, yay, we're all set to continue not listening to one another when it comes to road use.

But in principle, yes, I agree with you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Shamino posted:

The article from the lady who writes for them who took her kids and dog on a 3 row model Y test drive was the final straw for me as well. She gave it a bad review after she let her dog throw up in the car and it went down the seat belt latch. She was upset that she was going to have to pay to replace it and that Tesla wouldn't let her keep the car for two weeks so she could try to fix it.

The one that made me question why I was still reading was an article about somebody that crammed ground beef into a DC charger in Germany.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

What if we kissed under the stars 👉👈 while autopilot takes the wheel 😳

Til death do we part 😌 unless.......

(okay shitpost aside that sounds amazing though? Laying in your car and looking up at the stars?)

Edit: I hosed around on the Tesla website over the weekend, and got to a page with a hedgehog, does anyone know what this means???

YOU WIN A FREE TESLA!!!

Did it look like this?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Yes— oh god the hedgehog was mocking me too :gonk:

(I asked my sales advisor if I could take delivery after August, so I'm set for sometime in September)

I have some bad news for you, friend. It's probably not actually going to be free.

(Congratulations!)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Aino Minako posted:

I agree that it is likely you will really enjoy it. And hey — if you don’t, you can sell it for more than you paid for it!

But be sure to poo poo down the seatbelt retractors first.

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Hot drat these things are massive.

Pardon my ignorance but could somebody caption this photo please? Is this a Rivian at the "we can make a cool proprietary connector too, what do you mean there were no standards when Tesla designed theirs" chargers?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That’s not the Rivian.

I'm out of guesses, then.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Shamino posted:

Rivians connectors will be standardized I thought? Just that they're building their own charging network that will solve the problems with EA?

I looked up some photos, and it sure looks like a CCS2 port. I wonder why their web site is all "We've got all these fast chargers, and also some slower ones that work with J1772!"

On the other hand, maybe the CCS2 is the "works with everybody else's chargers" options and I just haven't seen a photo of their Rivian-only connector

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

You're all talking about this thing, right? As "the best electric car you can buy right now" and "looks so good"?

Looks like a car with shiny new paint. Looks fine to me. It's neat that there's no grill for a radiator.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Westy543 posted:

The Model Y is a bit of a chungus compared to the Model 3, but both people I know irl with one love theirs.

Holy hell, that is a perfect description of how it looks.

Everyone I know with a MY loves theirs too. I loved my VW Microbus. It's 2021 and you can love whatever car you want!

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 5, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

One thing that's a real drag about Tesla, for me, is that the nearest service center is a 5 hour drive, and another 5 hours back.

So far they've been really cool about sending out the mobile service unit, so they do everything in my driveway. That's been awesome. But I imagine one day that will stop happening, and then life's going to be pretty awful for me.

E: so I guess it's not a drag currently, it's just a predicted drag.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 5, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Sounds like you're making bad car purchases in general, then.

What I got from that post is that this technology is still just getting off the ground, and has a way to go still before it's going to be acceptable to 80% of drivers.

Also feeling like Tesla's lead in this space is still pretty huge.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stellers bae posted:

I bought six EVs and ended up breaking even net, because of Colorado's ridiculous laws around tax rebates for them. I had a Model 3 too - it's an awesome car but the earlier LR AWD model had issues with cold, long trips. My breaking point with that one was being in Taos, NM and being routed to Pagosa Springs, CO - route planner said we could make it, and a third of the way there after constant 'reduce speed to 60, reduce speed to 55, reduce speed to 50' messages even with the heat off we turned around and headed back to Santa Fe. Then there was the time when we took it to Orange County CA and had to wait in a two hour line to charge on a non-holiday weekend. Or the new 40kWh Leaf that had a battery voltage sag when under heavy load in cold temps (SoC would dip 20% in a mile, then climb back up when I let off the accelerator). But shorter trips with L2 charging at home were always nice.

Again, this is not a personal attack on EV drivers. I just found that the frustrations related to them started to add up for me and they weren't saving me any money compared to a very efficient gas car.

Yeah, I get this. I live near Taos, and driving to Denver requires more planning now than it did in the Subaru, due to charging. We can do it, but we have to remember that I25 has crazy headwinds sometimes when you're driving north, and the trip planner doesn't factor this into its "safe to continue your trip" calculation.

EV technology seems mature compared to what it was like in 2001, but when you hold that up against something that's been around since 1886, it's clear that we're still dealing with a technology that has a lot of improvements yet to come.

In this poster's case, the main improvement would be more friggin' charging stations. Taos has diddly squat (I've checked) unless you fancy a 6-hour charging session. There are, by contrast, plenty of gas stations in Taos.

And to that same point, one of the main reasons we got a Tesla to replace our Tesla instead of literally anything else is because we couldn't see how we would be able to take road trips with something that needed CCS chargers. They just aren't out here yet. Tesla has a big advantage there, and even with that advantage, stellers bae couldn't get to Pagosa Springs because Tesla's "best charging network on the planet" still has huge gaps in it.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 5, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

There's this area in between Needles and San Bernardino where gas is never under $7 a gallon. I've bought gas there before because I failed to take into account that ubiquitous gas stations are not a given, and I didn't fuel up when I should have. I was happy to pay far out the rear end in order to avoid being stranded in the middle of death valley.

When there are people happy to pay $7 per kWh to charge up in the middle of nowhere because they made a bad decision earlier, I think we can finally claim charging infrastructure is on par with gasoline. Right now you can't even go to Pagosa Springs with Taos as your home base.

We have a way to go, but I suspect charging stations are being built out way faster than gas stations were.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stellers bae posted:

This is the most expensive charger I've ever personally encountered:

At peak that's like twice what it costs to run a 4Runner, assuming you're driving a Bolt, lol

Oh man, there's one near us that's $7 per session.

My kid had trouble getting the incredibly beat up CHAdeMO connector plugged in correctly, and it billed her $21 for 5 kWh. So it turns out it's $7 per connection attempt.

We don't use that charger any more.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

The area north of Espanola to Chama is Carson National Forest. There will probably never be any superchargers put in there, it's desolate as poo poo. Pretty though. Chama is a pretty small town, but it's an important intersection in the area, so I can see them putting one in there, maybe. North of that there's not much to Pagosa.

I would have thought little towns wouldn't install chargers any time soon, but there's a 350kW CCS charger in friggin' Wagon Mound so apparently I just don't understand the economics here. https://goo.gl/maps/geDtHukL7pbjwkCf7. Granted that's on I-25, but it's friggin' Wagon Mound, population 268.

There are dozens of gas stations between Española and Pagosa Springs. If just one of them put in a ChargePoint station it'd be a game changer. Hell, if they put one in Taos I'd probably pony up for a CCS to Tesla adapter just to not have to plan charging for my trips any more.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 6, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian is specifically targeting more remote areas for their DCFC network! :eng101: The decision from RJ to do this was because Rivian is advertising their trucks and SUVs as adventure vehicles, so we want people to be comfortable going to more remote locations!

That's awesome, because in my experience that's the biggest gap right now. It also sounds like a huge challenge because there are so many more remote sites. I was relieved to find out Rivian is using plain old CCS, contrary to dumb rumors I'd heard earlier about a new proprietary connector.

I hope one day Tesla's charging network can be used by non-Teslas, but when I look at how quickly CCS chargers are getting built out now I can't help but feel like it's increasingly irrelevant.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sanchez posted:

Only one CCS plug in West Virginia as well, it's 25kw and at a Harley dealer. Perfect.

What the hell?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have to wonder if they're setting the price to INSANELY HIGH in order to charge cars on their lot while still claiming to have a public charger.

It's a J1772 for crying out loud.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They stole MobileEye tech on the original S IIRC. When MobileEye found out, they told Tesla to pound sand.

My understanding was that they licensed MobileEye tech, and then a few years later, MobileEye was all "you're doing what with it? HOLY poo poo NO."

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ever since the microbus I've wanted a custom paint job on a car. These wraps seem like an option...

Thing is, I'm a 20 minute drive from the low rider capital of the world. It seems dumb to go get a nylon wrap when there are dozens of shops down the street that can give me a totally sweet custom paint job.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is absolutely true in my experience owning a Model 3 with HW V3. There's a few stretches of I-75 where It's a 70 MPH limit, and my car will decelerate down suddenly due to a 45 mph road being parallel to me. It's awful.

This isn't a sign issue, it's the car temporarily believing I teleported to a road parallel to me. Should be a simple fix.

I agreed with this right up until the last sentence.

Clearly you have never spent DAYS chasing down a bug that seems blinding obvious but is a complete nightmare to isolate. IN MY OWN drat CODE.

I mean in your code. I was talking about you, not me. I've never done this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I keep the car in Chill mode because I just never need that much torque. I'll turn it off when the passengers want a tiny roller coaster experience, but it's normally on.

Cruft Jr keeps her leaf in Eco mode, which is similar.

Yesterday I learned that two of my friends also keep their cars in Chill mode. Makes me wonder if this is a lot more common than I'd realized within the parents crowd.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't care about an EV driver facing reliability issues, I care about being on my bike while people do this:

https://sfist.com/2021/05/06/backseat-driver-tesla-autopilot-scofflaw-spotted-multiple-times-on-bay-area-roads/

while the technology to do eye tracking has been around for years (my 2017 Lexus is basically from the past technology wise and still has an eye tracking feature I can enable)
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04/ford-will-roll-out-bluecruise-hands-free-driving-software-in-q3-2021/

Unlike a video game approach of ship broken / patch later, I'd prefer "ship when we're very confident it won't kill people."

I can't say I've seen a whole lot of evidence that any automaker cares how many people they kill. Going all the way back to the huge fight put up by automakers against the seat belt. I'm sure it goes back even earlier.

With autonomous cars we are finally seeing this shift. Every once in a while now, the automaker's liabile when their product runs someone over. And, amazingly, for the first time, people are generally coming around to the idea that the automaker should be liable.

My Model 3 detects pedestrians, first car I've ever had to even attempt this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I will never stop hugging my own farts.

I will never stop hugging your farts either. 💕

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

New thread title, new answer!

Birds don't fart. But there is probably some gas that comes out of a bird cloaca occasionally, which could be argued to be a "bird fart". Methane is a very common organic gas, let's pretend it's methane. Say, for a common crow, 0.5 cm³ of methane per fart.

Methane has an energy density of 39MJ / m³. And dynamite, remember, is about 1MJ / stick. Let's cancel some units!

0.0000195 sticks of dynamite are equivalent to a presumed crow fart. Put another way, you'd need to ignite 51,282 crow farts to get the energy of one stick of dynamite.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, this is huge news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I don't know if there are any stats on it but I read that heated seats use way less juice than the cabin heater. Stands to reason anyway.

So a heated back seat is probably a good idea if you live somewhere cold... And have frequent passengers... Who don't use child seats I guess

Hi, that's me.