Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

lostleaf posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue

How in the world is the response to fix the car rather to give them a brand new car?

If the QC is bad enough that these kinds of defects are happening, I think getting a brand new car is the worse of the two options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I'm gonna be a contrarian and say I like it.

except for the fake grill.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Really hope Tesla doesn't do anything stupid like disable the radar-based AEB on cars that already have them with a software update. I don't really care about autopilot since i hardly use it already due to lack of trust and I've been quite happy with the car as is. Doing something like that would definitely mean I wouldn't ever buy a Tesla again, though.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So which EVs aren’t a risk for randomly catching fire in your driveway? The Bolt, Teslas, and the Kona have all had issues.

Looking at the technology as it stands, none of them. Basically any manufacturer can find a way to gently caress up lithium ion batteries without realizing it and it may take a decade of incremental improvements before EV fire risk can be minimized. I would avoid the Tesla until someone has enough sense to mandate an easily accessible manually-operated door catch on all passenger doors, because why the gently caress would you allow an electric-actuation only door catch on a car that has a small but non-negligible chance of rapidly cooking its passengers alive if they don't bail out in time?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

The model 3 and y rear doors don't have any manual override. the S and X apparently do but it's hidden in a non-obvious spot. It's sillier than the (admittedly silly) outside door handles because there's no reason they couldn't have just doubled up the front door manual releases for the rear doors and avoided the whole issue aside from penny-pinching of the most severe manner.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Electrical setup question here: I have a 100A main breaker in the garage with 2 free slots. Is the electrical setup just as running an additional 50 amp line and NEMA 14-50 outlet from the breaker, or are there usually code considerations regarding how many high current circuits you can have on a breaker (US)?

I'm not trying to do this myself, I'm just curious to know how much work it would be to put in an EV charging circuit.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

wolrah posted:

If Tesla is still having problems with their suspension arms being made of swiss cheese that would probably also be a factor, but I don't think I've ever heard of that on the 3, just the S/X.

Nah, the suspension arms still suck on the 3 if you got one before 2020 or so. It's a very frequent replacement job because they start to develop squeaks on one of the ball joints due to bad sealing. Apparently the new design fixes it but it's still a weak point.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Eyes Only posted:

These cars with solar on them are all scams. I'm sure someone in this thread must have laid this out years ago, but just putting numbers on it:

Let's generously assume 10kwh/m2/day of sunlight, which is well above the average anywhere in the US in the month of June. At a generous 15% efficiency, thats 1.5kwh per square meter per day.

An average sedan or crossover is about 9 sqm. Let's generously assume you can somehow fit 7sqm of panels on it. We will ignore the fact that the panels aren't even going to be pointing directly at the sun.

The gives you 10.5kwh of solar charge per day in the best possible conditions. This equates to 437W of average power, which is about 30% of a level 1 charger. This will take over 7 days to charge a full range EV to full.

Replace the generosity above with the real world and you're in the realm of 14 days for a full charge in Arizona summer. In a northeast winter I would be surprised if it could charge the car to full even once before winter loving ends.

Keep in mind a full range EV can only drive at highway speeds for like 3-4hrs, this is not going to meaningfully extend your range on any single trip even at noon in the desert. In most real world conditions it probably lowers range due to the extra weight of the panels.

Am also of the opinion that while it is a dick move not to use the standard the tesla connector is definitely better.

I'm going to disagree with this a little. Not because what you said is wrong - there's no reasonable way to make a useful solar car because you're limited to ~500 watts with existing technology (on a sedan's usable footprint) and perhaps ~750 watts with the extremely experimental solar that's being tested right now and won't make it into production for another 10~20 years. There's just not enough power coming from the sun to move any kind of car except the ones that are single purpose demonstrators and not useful transportation options.

However, 500 watts is still a useful amount of power for maintaining SOC. I lived for ~2 years with a Tesla M3 and no place to plug it in at my apartment with only outdoor parking. My biggest fear was leaving it alone for a long time when I was on business travel. An auxiliary solar panel for maintaining Charge/Battery Cooling etc. would be a great option for people who don't have a regular place to plug in. If you use modern thin-film solar, the weight penalty is pretty negligible.

A great comparison is the kind of solar panels people put up on sailboats- they're really useful for maintaining the systems and batteries while the boat is anchored away from shore power. They're not expected or needed to drive the boat's motor, but they can prevent you from getting lost at sea without radio or navigation systems.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I know it's anecdotal but I've had much better experiences with Tesla service than in the past 10 years of dealing with Mitsubishi dealership service with my previous car. I recognize that's about the lowest bar possible to clear, but Tesla never tried to lie to my face (in plain view of the car, no less) about brake discs being worn out so they could talk about potentially trading it in for a new one. All the times i've dealt with them they've been upfront about parts availability. They don't proactively communicate this information until it's way too late, unfortunately.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

This, but on the back of a truck and it's a CCS charger

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

borkencode posted:

I had thought that the reason it wasn't released here yet was they were waiting for availability on parts for the retrofit, but on second thought I have no idea why I would think Tesla wouldn't start selling something before it was ready.

I mean it's already good to go if you have a late 2020 production Tesla or later, I don't think there's any sense to keep people waiting around for the older cars to get CCS support if the new ones can already use the adapter.

I wonder if Tesla is planning on giving up on the Tesla adapter now. I had assumed their intransigence about CCS support was due to wanting an excuse to keep the supercharger network exclusive to teslas, but now that they're opening up it makes little sense to keep going with the design that's been adopted by no other manufacturer.

I figure the whole "let's sell a CCS adapter" thing might just be an excuse to get people to pay for the cost of the upgrade now rather than waiting a few years and changing the network to use CCS adapters and being forced to do that upgrade for existing owners at cost. I'll probably be holding off on the retrofit until it's clear what Tesla's policy here is going to be.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like the cybertruck is an intentional distraction for Elon so he focuses on it and stops loving with the actually profitable cars, sort of how spaceX did the whole starship thing as a distraction so that he would stop loving with the actually profitable space launch buisness.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

How the hell did CCS die so quickly? I get that NACS is a little nicer in form factor but my understanding was that CCS was still more future-proofed in terms of charging speed-max power capability.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

EA feels like something designed to fail to give charging networks/EV a bad rep. Maybe I’m assuming malice where incompetence is a better explanation, but there is precedent.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I can't imagine that, given the nature of the deception here, a class action would have that much success. Tesla didn't outright lie about the advertised EPA range of the car- even if they did a few things like set one-pedal driving as the default mode to massage the numbers upwards, they still have EPA cycle data that was taken on legitimate runs. The fabrication of the range estimate above 50% was based on those ideal numbers, and while not displaying a realistic range based on actual consumption is dishonest, I don't know that it is deceptive in a way that would entail statutory damages.

The loving around with the range complaints team has a bit more merit but that's also a much smaller class - it would have to be limited to people who A) filed a complaint where B) that complaint was substantiated by something actually wrong with the car. That might still be class action material if that group is large enough, but it sounds like a lot of people had nothing wrong with the car except noticing that the range estimation was overly optimistic and thus don't really have material damages.

It's bad for Tesla from a PR standpoint but I don't think it's lawsuit material, except perhaps in fishing for an absurdly small class action settlement.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

400 miles isn't even close to the EPA estimate on any of their cars; an estimate that high would normally just be wrong, but the fact the software was deliberately hosed with to give such a high estimate is what makes it fraud

The Model S EPA cycle range is 405 miles. This was no doubt performed with the car in as aerodynamically clean a state as possible in a minimally-loaded car using a trained driver and no doubt cherrypicking test results but it can and has been done.

Dishonest about the car's realistic range? Yes, most certainly. But it's going to be hard to prove that that's fraud unless Tesla actually made those EPA cycle numbers up, which is not what the story is alleging. Any allegation of fraud is going to be against the information presented in the advertising of the car's range, not what the range readout is reading - that's a lot harder to sell as fraud because there's not really any implied contract that a range gauge has since you've already purchased the car. So long as Tesla actually has data showing that they hit those numbers in EPA cycle trials, it will be nigh-impossible to argue that they defrauded customers by selling a car that could not achieve its rated range because any reasonable consumer should know that range can vary based on conditions.

Other car makers have chosen the wise decision to be more conservative in their range estimates to avoid the inevitable onslaught of customer service complaints about not hitting a realistic range. Tesla did not in order to feign a range advantage that they only had by cherrypicking results on one specific driving cycle and now they take the PR hit for it. It was probably worth it for them seeing as a bunch of people decided to buy a Tesla over the competitors just because of the apparent range advantage. It's a great strategy in the short term but there's definitely a bunch of people now who will not be buying a Tesla again even if they liked the car.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

The tool was modified to show unrealistic values in order to sell more vehicles

They're only "unrealistic" in the sense that they represent an idealized case. If those numbers are at all achievable, it's not fraud. There is as far as I am aware no standard for how battery range gauges on EVs are required to calculate their remaining range. The honest thing to do would be to use the KWh/(Wh/mi) metric which the car already uses for other calculations, but that's heavily influenced by how you drive the car and even the timescale across which you're averaging.

The real problem here is that Tesla picked a close-to-the-end-of-the-bell-curve number for their advertised range. For example, the model 3 calculates the "EPA Range" as (Wh remaining/240 Wh/mi) when in practice with my driving it's usually 260-280 WH/Mi. I don't believe 240 Wh/mi is unachievable by any means, but it would require turning off climate control and running the car light with season-appropriate tires that are fully inflated to pressure spec and a light foot on the accelerator. It's dishonest about what range you'll probably get, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility, which is why I think it's unlikely that there's any case for fraud here. It's certainly far weaker than the case against full-self driving, which is not and does not fully self-drive the car despite being advertised as such.

If they had gone with something like 200 Wh/mi- then you've got a case for actual fraud because there's no way they did that in the confines of the EPA cycle and those numbers have to be made up from whole cloth or using a non-production standard vehicle. But as far as I can see, there's no penalty for marketing a range that's theoretically possible for the car aside from pissed-off customers.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

Okay, I made a picture I can quote next time.

There's a frickin' button. The complaint (right now, in September 2023) is that once again the "auto" mode starts wiping the window for no apparent reason, and when it's actually raining, the wipers never go. So you have to press the button.

They need to make the button able to cycle between manual modes with a double tap so you don't need to look over at the screen to mode-select. I don't know why they have refused to do this because it seems obvious as poo poo

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

What's the thoughts for PHEVs as a middle ground for people that have range anxiety? With a periodic (but not often) need to do long, 6-900KM road trips at any time of the year including cold (-30) weather?

Unless you're really taking a road trip through the middle of nowhere- and to be fair, given those winter temps, it sounds like you are- not really worth it. You're just adding the complexity of a gas car to a battery car, and usually the tradeoff is that the electric range is crap. Below 50 km all electric range isn't really worth it unless you have a really short commute, and there aren't too many PHEV models with ranges above that.

They made more sense 5 years ago when the only fast charging network worth a drat was Tesla and the network had a lot more gaps in it. Now the networks are so built out that you're almost always in a place where it makes more sense to just get a full EV or an EV won't work at all. It kind of sounds like your situation is the latter, but I'm not sure what the charging infrastructure is along your road trip routes.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

dissss posted:

E. How is Supercharger pricing for non Tesla vehicles relative to other networks in North America? Here the few they've opened up are 25-45% more expensive.

I think it depends. There are some states which still don't allow power delivery to be charged by kWh delivered vs. time on charger.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

What does that mean?

It means it either got completely wrecked or is some kind of lemon, typically.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh, so like a salvage title?

Yeah, salvage is one type of title brand. If you look on the link the car in question is a lemon law car that had to have its rear transmission replaced. It's a different brand but still impacts the value severely.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Cybertruck range is loving laffo bad if those are Tesla's usual cherrypicked range estimates. This really is the elon distraction project

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

So how do you tell your colorless sheetmetal cybertruck apart from the two other colorless sheetmetal cybertrucks parked next to you?

pattern of dents and fingerprints

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

I took a bolt to me nards!!

new thread title imo

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

The DMC-12s have held up pretty well over 40 years or so but I'm not sure if that's just survivorship bias from obsessive DeLorean owners cleaning their cars regularly and not ever taking them out.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Who is the target audience for this?

It's the certified Elon Musk Distraction Project (tm).

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Drill a hole in your EVSE and let electrons flow from the spout

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Honestly the only way I could see "self driving" happening in my lifetime, is if the cars while in self driving mode are remotely monitored and controllable, and that control/monitoring is done by gig workers who as part of the employment have to accept full legal responsibility while in self driving mode, and it will come out they often will be trying to monitor like, 10 cars at once to make a living wage out of it. Basically how the commercial robo taxi services work now, but spread out and gigified.

"Solves" the shittiness of AI doing random dumb things, moves the responsibility onto poor workers with few opportunities, and is probably cheaper than trying to solve the last 10% of self driving software. Really just a win win for companies.

The burnout rate would be atrocious. How long is anyone gonna stand quantum leaping into a new car that's about to crash every 30 seconds?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

mattfl posted:

Marques Brownlee single handidly destroyed that company lol

It's funny because his review isn't even that negative, he spends 15 minutes praising it and then 5 minutes complaining about the buggy software. Fisker just invoked the Streisand effect on themselves.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

blacksocks posted:

What's the thread's opinion on buying a very high mileage EV in general? Or specifically a 22 Kia EV6 with 60k miles. I don't even know how that's possible.

You're sacrificing some of your absolute range so make sure 70% capacity still works for you if you make regular road trips. Should be fine In Europe or on the USA East/West coasts but in more remote areas make sure degraded capacity isn't going to make your charging hops too far.

Check the tire tread, EVs tend to go through it very fast due to high relative weight + a lot of torque.

Other than that EVs have a lot less used car poo poo that can go wrong. Obviously due diligence is still needed but there's just not as many wear components in the EV drivetrain that would be likely to fail on this kind of timescale.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, combination of enshittification of Tesla and the diversity of competitors now available means Tesla's going to be hurting,

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Not only is it no longer aspirational, it's covered in Musk stink. Other cars have better technology for how people actually use cars, not wish casting on how you are going to use your car in 5 years and Tesla hasn't really done anything interesting with their cars in the last few years but make them worse.

Yeah, I think even if Musk hadn't sank into the never-ending K-hole/fart huffing recirculator he's been in since 2017 or so the Model 3 wouldn't be a great buy now. In 2019 it was one of, if not the only car on the road with a 250+ mile range and decent fast charging. Now, there's around a dozen and more coming online every year. CCS is still behind the Tesla network but it's only acutely felt in the midwest. The Model 3 hasn't really changed in price for an equivalent feature set and got notably shittier in a bunch of ways like the removal of stalks, radar cruise control, and parking sensors. In the meantime, Tesla has failed to show anything meaningful in the following areas of development that they should have been on top of:

- 800V Architecture
- Solid State Battery Commercialization
- Alternative LiPo/LiIon Battery Chemistries
- Fast charging beyond 250 kW
- An affordable mid-size crossover SUV, the most common category (Y is too compact, X is too expensive at ~80k)

These are all things that other car manufacturers have made more progress than Tesla on and as far as I know the only one that doesn't have a consumer product ready to go is the solid state battery.

So why buy a Tesla in 2024?

These were the only reasons I could think of:
1. In North America, the Supercharger network is still the best charging network.
2. No dealership bullshit (or maybe minimal? I've not had great experiences with service centers in NJ or NM, even if I never felt like they were actively screwing me.)
3. Infotainment is better done/more responsive than most auto OEMs. Back in 2019 the Model 3's interface had a lot of stability issues but those seem to have been mostly resolved by now.

Number 1 is going away soon now that the network is opening (even partially) to other cars and adopting NACS as a protocol. It seems like only the new NEVI-compliant chargers will be open to all vehicles so Teslas might still have an edge in some cases. Number 3 is something they could be surpassed on at any time if other automakers gave a poo poo. Number 2 is the least likely to change but they're also not the only people going dealer-less anymore. Even putting aside Musk, Tesla's just losing their competitive edge day by day.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Who buys Malibus anymore? Old people that don't know any better?

Avis

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Ford's system lets you exceed the speed limit and doesn't even require you to have a hand on the wheel.

Plus they can't even get their speedometer to work right. Can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

Did they remove the Pitot tube cap?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

priznat posted:

What the heck is Lease Subvention Cash

Also yeah they are basically the only cars available on most Toyota dealerships around here

a fancy way of saying its a subsidized lease.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Musk discovering in real time why the Delorean went extinct in under 5 years of production

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Just got the CCS upgrade on my 2019 Model 3. Had to wrangle with the service center a bit but they finally confirmed they could install it. I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet because the nearest CCS station is in Santa Fe, but that should be a great help getting up to Denver if it works. The Las Vegas-Trinidad stretch is really hairy in the Winter and it might be one of the only places in America where the EA network has better coverage than the supercharger network.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

Unless I've missed something its reasonable to assume the cuts have all come from the R&D and new installations side, not the ongoing operations which in a corporate structure will 100% be different entities.

Like i know its cool and good to get your Muskhate on but lets dial the histrionics down a bit, this isnt going to make any difference to the value of the existing network nor the cars themselves

I think there's a problem with assuming that there won't be any cuts to the operating side of the supercharger network as well. The network was a critical factor in people buying Teslas and if he's willing to permanently surrender any hope of further growth by scattering everyone who developed it to the four winds, who knows how thin he will run operations to save on costs?

If willy wonka's going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs and cancel development of fizzy lifting drinks it's not safe to assume the oompa loompas aren't getting pink slips too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

priznat posted:

:stare: poo poo, how much trouble are they in??

I'm seeing a lot of the new model 3s around and they're actually pretty good looking imo.

That's the thing. They're not really in any financial trouble at all. They still posted a profit of over $1bn last quarter.

This is entirely Elon either trying to just slaughter the cow and walk away or hold the company hostage until he gets stock package that would let him retake sole control over the company.