Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

One gimmicky thing I haven't seen any car companies do yet that would be kinda cool is have like the front grille with a plasma globe effect on it when it's turned on

Genesis should do this with their orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I want the brightness to correspond directly with accelerator pressure.

A HUD, except the entire windscreen doing the hyperspace effect thing from starwars based on how fast you're doing. Elon hire me.

Actually don't

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I love to hike my rear end down to the machine shop and ask them to do what you just described.

It's gotten to the point where the machine shop supervisor throws whatever's in his hands on the nearest desk and lets out an exaggerated sigh whenever he sees me walking over there.

At least it's not being thrown at you?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

I guess being the only 3 row EV they get to set the price for now. Too drat much for a kia though.

They're not the only one, but like their competition is something like the R1S and Model X so

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrox posted:

If you already financed the car, why would you refinance it at exactly the same rate? I may not understand how that work program works

Because your current contract is ending and rates went up?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

cruft posted:

I've never heard of under 100A in the states, which is what our house had until we upgraded it to 200A at PHENOMENAL EXPENSE.

<100 isn't uncommon in older houses that primarily use gas for various heat-related functions.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that's why all the oceans are on fire, genius :rolleyes:

The oceans are salty because they blew up the ocean, duh

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

You probably already spotted this but it's also showing you a lower price cause it's estimating gas savings for you on the website

I still can't believe they're allowed to do this, especially as the default view. Like it's one thing showing you a bunch of rebates and what not that are available and itemized/summed even if you can't actually get all of them at the same time, but estimating gas savings is lol.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

Did the solterra have the “wheels fall off” issue the bz4x did because you might be 3 wheel drive

:goonsay: If there are only 3 wheels on the car, it's still all wheel drive

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

the ev thread is 100% the normcore car thread

What is the MHW-3BOMBER of threads

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Edward IV posted:

I thought many modern BEVs use somewhere around 400V. I think I've heard that even 800V cars like Hyundai's/Kia's eGMP cars operate at 400V but configure themselves to 800V for faster DC charging. Then again, that's not common knowledge or readily advertised and there surely are outliers and A-h is a useless metric without the corresponding voltage.

Their pack voltages are not all the same even for the same vehicle between trims. According to some searching, the ev6 light has a pack voltage of 522.7 and the trims above are 697. Similarly, the ev9 light has a pack voltage of 632 and every other trim apparently is 550.

The big thing is AAs are single cells, so the voltage is dictated by chemistry while pack voltage depends on how the cells are arranged

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Wayne Knight posted:

Dicks is great but you have to set your expectations accordingly. It’s a good cheap burger.

Their fries on the other hand...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

$1000/month is loving insane,

Is most likely per 6 months since a lot of insurance bills that way and op is just bad

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

That's like writing an article about the outrage of an erroneous phone charge,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShv_74FNWU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

There's like no chance buying ev's saved hertz's bacon. Ending lockdowns and tourism spinning up again saved hertz's (and many other businesses') bacon.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

There are also a lot more ICE models to choose from where you could presumably buy the ones that don't cost 10k to replace the rear quarter panel or whatever. It's not like these rental companies don't also have the numbers for the rest of their fleet

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean the big thing about the leaf is it's still basically a 2010 EV, except it's now 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

cruft posted:

That would be one of the corner cases, in my opinion.

Another being going nema 14-x to 6-x when you know the device doesn't use the neutral. Like many if not all EVSEs

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

If we're just worried about SUVs and CUVs maybe keep tariffs on those and let the cheap sedans through?

Because then they start building a market and network for parts/service, and a couple years down the line they're building the suvs/cuvs in mexico? Like any new to market brand has to go through this at some point and having basically an entire market segment to yourself helps quite a lot.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

... huh. This is quite a bit different from what we saw Q1 in California, where Rivian is down in 11th.

truck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If honda had done an equinox reskin instead of blazer, I would probably get one.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Brand Count
Tesla 48342
Mercedes-Benz 4834
BMW 4228
Hyundai 3904
Ford 3747
Kia 3017
Audi 2880
Chevrolet 2850
Rivian 2362
Volkswagen 2200
Toyota/Subaru 1120
Cadillac 1062
Nissan 994
VinFast 750
Lexus 716
Porsche 520
Fisker 422
Genesis 350
Lucid 345
Polestar 340
Volvo 272
Jaguar 259
MINI 233
GMC 174
Ram 30
Rolls-Royce 24

for battery only ev q1 2024 in california

Also toyota was #7, like that should have been a warning sign

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

*breaks out the mod tools*

Yup thats thread title right there

Electric Vehicles mk3 :I've always wanted to hand-crank my car
Coffee: crankin' it until I have a sloppy puck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Hey guys, I'm cursed to live in Ohio and have a 128 mile commute to work, I just don't think this whole CCS thing is working out.

I store my miles driven per day in an unsigned char, so this is 0 miles per day

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

cruft posted:

Must suck working on a 7-bit CPU in 2024.

Unsigned chars are 8 bits fyi

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

What's the round trip mileage if one way is 128 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

But also out of curiosity because I don't work with embedded anything, has there really been anything in like the last 30-40 years that hasn't had 8-bit bytes? Like even when I was working with PICs, chars were 8bit and ints were like 10. *apparently it was just some memory mapped io that was this size

Don't get me started on wchar_t though I hate them so much

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 29, 2024