Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Got this last month but only just learned this thread exists, so here are some recently-new Lyriq AWD Sport 3 pics.

And a walkaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

slidebite posted:

I love dark green. I think that's identical, as in package and everything, to my wife's uncle that just received his factory order.

How do you like it?

It's been great so far. The Emerald Lake Metallic paint is a really interesting color, it gets a really nice brilliant green in sunlight, but under overcast skies or less light you'd swear it's just black. My dealer told me that GM said my car is the first one off the assembly line in this color; if the other metallic paints look half as good then any of them would be a great option, it really looks fantastic.

My experience pretty much lines up with all the online reviews of the car; except that I think some of the reviews dogged on the suspension more than it deserves -- it's a little bouncy but some reviewers just went over the top complaining about it.

Wayne Knight posted:

I’m waiting on my lux 3, green on green like yours. Very much looking forward to it, but wow it seems like there are a lot of software issues owners have reported online. Have you had any issues? Some suggest that the latest update the new cars are coming with sorts it all out.

The only issue I've had is with CarPlay audio cutting out randomly; but yeah, a lot of people have been having a lot of software issues. I think a large part of the problem is that dealers aren't updating all the modules in the car before delivery, because there are some nasty issues that were fixed back in November that there's still some straggling reports of; and GM now has a standing service policy that dealers should be updating every module in the car if it's ever brought in for service. It's definitely something to double-check with your dealer if you're getting a car that's been sitting on the lot at the plant for a couple months, or if you're buying a down-level trim that was produced before November because probably the worst case scenario is that your car still has the issue that causes the 12V battery to drain, which effectively immobilizes the vehicle until it gets towed to a dealer to reset everything.

Ubiquitus posted:

What’s the knob below the storage console for? And is that blue colored lighted recess hold anything interesting?

On the center console? The big knob is a rotary wheel to do hands-free scrolling through the infotainment system (it also clicks down to 'select') just as an alternative to reaching up and using the touchscreen -- I think that's a common feature in all recent Cadillacs. Above the knob are some buttons (to jump to the music screen, the nav screen, etc.); and then above that is a volume wheel that also clicks-to-mute. All the knobs on the dashboard control vents. There's a slide-out jewel box underneath the climate controls in the center, and then under that is the blue recess, which is just an empty space to stash stuff (and has a USB-C port).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
GM recommends in their manuals for Ultium vehicles to only charge to 80% routinely unless you're going to be doing a longer trip to "help promote battery health". The difference between total and usable capacity is only like 4% too; which isn't enough headroom for a "100%" charge to be a long-term healthy charge amount.

So long story short, read your vehicle's manual and do whatever it says to do.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

bird with big dick posted:

Do you control the knob with your mind because all the knobs I’ve manipulated have definitely required a hand

You mean there's a better way?!

(I meant without needing to reach up to the touchscreen.)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

priznat posted:

Yeah almost all of those have options to remove the plug adapter and go hard wired, it’s super easy (I have a ChargePoint that comes with the plug which I removed to hardwire)

They have lever connectors it’s easier than connecting up speakers in the olden days (albeit more potentially dangerous if you forget to turn off the breaker don’t do that)

I think most EVSEs sold now have options to hardwire, because since the April 2020 update, electrical code requires that any fixed EVSE be hardwired. ("Fixed" meaning that it requires a tool, even if its just a screwdriver, to remove.) You can only use a socket if the EVSE is "fastened-in-place" (can be removed without a tool) or "portable" (designed to be taken from charging location to charging location).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you really want efficient charging, just drive your car into a generating station and you can avoid all the overhead of electrical transmission. :byoscience:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

InitialDave posted:

Ok, I thought this part of the discussion was specific to why you'd even bother doing that when they make a cable you can just plug in to a wall socket if you need an emergency backup.

I don't think bypassing an EVSE's internals to hook your car directly up to mains voltage (which is stupid, is likely to cause you a painful death, and is banned in most countries) was being suggested as an 'emergency backup' alternative. It was being suggested as an "pff, who needs all this safety anyway" alternative.

But technically it is a charging method. It's known as "mode 1" charging. Since it's highly dangerous and almost always illegal, I don't even think any modern EVs will even allow it.

A portable level 1 EVSE -- the emergency backup you're referring to here -- is not just connecting your vehicle to mains voltage; and I'm of the opinion that every EV should have one stashed away somewhere inside it, just in case.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Speleothing posted:

Looks like a new Volt is back on the menu.

I loved my Volt. I always thought GM would have had a hit on their hands with it if they'd made it an SUV instead of a hatchback.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Glimm posted:

There are some things I'll miss from my Tesla, but I'll be able to take this to the hills; it has a longer range (though no free supercharging), and I'll be able to fit into the passenger seat even with the car seat in the back.

Looks drat good!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
"Green" as a boolean adjective is nonsense from the start unless you're defining it as "zero environmental impact anywhere" because defining it as anything less than that subjectively leaves room for someone to justifiably criticize your usage of the term.

It's more usefully denoted as a spectrum; but even that's subjective because it's a multi-axial spectrum and at some point you have to add arbitrary weights to the different kinds of environmental impact and everyone can have their own justification for different weights. Is Lithium mining leaving a big toxic pit in the ground in one place better than pumping CO2 into the atmosphere? Most people would say 'sure'... unless that big toxic pit happens to be their backyard, in which case they're going to have a much different valuation; and so will the people who have an oil refinery in their backyard.

The big benefit of electrification over fuel cells or fossil fuels is not inherently that one is "green" and the others aren't. It's that electrification makes the power source flexible; so we have options on allocating and reallocating the ongoing environmental impacts today and tomorrow to account for factors we might not even recognize yet.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Butt Stuff posted:

If they already have it they may want to keep it?

We'll know for sure once someone actually has it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Awesome, congrats!

You got it in the best color.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Are there any numbers available on the amount of accidents Tesla's FSD has per mile?

I just watched this video a few days ago that cites the following numbers:

quote:

150,000,000 miles driven with FSD
375 FSD miles per Tesla
736 FSD crashes (17 fatalities)

Tesla FSD = 11.3 deaths per 100M miles

Human drivers = 1.35 deaths per 100M miles

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The big issue is of course idiots that presume it's magic and completely disregard they have to still pay attention

I wonder if it being named "full self driving" instead of something like "enhanced driving assist" contributes to people believing it can fully drive itself.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Russian Bear posted:

I don’t remember if we had this slap fight, but don’t leave gas that’s older than 2-3 months in your tank for the sake of your engine. This probably means running it in hybrid mode every couple months and not filling up your tank past half way.

The Volt had a fuel-care feature where if the gas in your tank was 12 months old (longer than 2-3 months I guess because it has a pressurized gas tank to keep the gas good longer), it would begin burning it off regardless of the state of your battery to get the fuel out of your tank before it gets old enough to cause any damage.

The part that worried me about it is that it'd use the average age of the fuel in your tank... so if I had a quarter tank of gas that hit the 12 month old mark, and added another quarter tank of gas; then the car considered that the entire half tank of gas had an age of 6 months. I don't know how safe doing that actually is.. maybe mixing old gas with newer gas does keep the old gas viable for longer?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Doom Rooster posted:

That wasn’t to burn gas out of the tank, I don’t think. It would do that after a period of time just as a maintenance run on the engine. I once got a separate “The gas in your tank is getting too old. Either use it, or take your car to the dealer to drain it.” message.

The maintenance run was every 30 days, and it only ran the engine for ~6 minutes; and didn't occur at all if you actually used the engine enough during that time period. It comes with a message that tells you it's running regular engine maintenance, along with a percent completion that increases as the maintenance cycle progresses. You could defer a maintenance run once or twice (it would tell you when you started the vehicle that it wanted to do it and allow you to cancel) but then it would insist on doing it. If you interrupted the maintenance cycle by turning off the vehicle before it completes, it would start it up again from scratch the next time you turned the vehicle on.

The fuel burn run is when the average age of the fuel is 365 days, and it'll run the engine until all the fuel is gone, or until you add enough fuel to lower the average age of the fuel enough. It's accompanied by a message informing you that it's running the engine due to fuel age. There's no option to defer.

I had a Volt that very very rarely needed to burn gas, so I saw the monthly maintenance situation often; and even the fuel burn situation more than once (and always resolved it by just adding a little more gas to the tank).

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2024

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
*the Chevrolet Bolt slowly appears out of the ether*

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Snowmankilla posted:

I thought people liked them?

I like mine and haven't had any problems with it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be really easy for the HI DMV to charge a per-mile tax on vehicles as part of registration renewal is what I'm saying

Hawaii is probably the only state in the US that could get away with that. In the continental states, it wouldn't pass constitutional muster for your state government to tax you based on how many miles you may have driven in other states outside of your state's jurisdiction.

A couple states have adopted (or are in the process of looking into adopting) programs where you can opt-in to having a state-monitored GPS tracker on your car so they can measure how many miles you drive on state-owned roads, and tax you based on that instead of just charging a flat EV registration fee when you renew your plates every year. Which is a loving horrible idea because the government has no business tracking your whereabouts.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
God the back end on the Celestiq looks so awful. But that aside, this particular vehicle has some other head-scratchers.

Why don't the doors match the body?

What the gently caress is going on with the charging door?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
100% Drives By Itself You Never Need To Help (you do need to help)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Nfcknblvbl posted:

$1,000 monthly, which is less than the Kia Optima I had before in 2018. Though we did have the Kia Boys here in Atlanta helping with that so.

Gnoman posted:

Mine's $300/month for full coverage on a used 2020 Bolt, though I'm not sure what value GEICO is using for full coverage.

Jesus Christ are you guys on an insurance policy that offers replacements with a car sculpted out of solid gold?

I'm only paying $152/mo for full comprehensive coverage from State Farm on my brand new '24 Lyriq Sport 3; and that's in Michigan, one of the most expensive states for auto insurance. Admittedly it's discounted because they do my house and other vehicle too, but even without the discounts it'd still only be $264/mo.