Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The ev6 aesthetic design is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Those legal documents detailing what Elon did in the beginning of his Twitter takeover were incredible.

If I recall correctly he called an emergency all-hands meeting, showed up 30 minutes late, then spent most of the time talking about aliens.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I wanna drive the ev6 so bad

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ROFLBOT posted:

but the fact is Tesla's are the best EVs at this point. The MYP is easily the best car I've ever owned (and i have owned some pretty reasonable cars over the years)

Is that actually the fact?

My limited understanding is that several other companies are at least on the same tier as Tesla, and that the Korean companies are producing even better EV products.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you all for the perspectives on Tesla and the Korean brands. I am surprised to learn that the Tesla is actually kind of good and sometimes regarded as the best in class.

Sounds like the pound for pound ev champ remains the bumble Chevy bolt though :tipshat:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not EV specific but do any of the main brands actually have substantively different levels of customer service?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinkin; about thos evs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Vegetable posted:

Is it gonna make the fake vroom vroom sounds

That stuff annoys me greatly but I guess I’m happy it sparks joy in others

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lowness 72 posted:

I test drove a polestar 2 today. I gotta say Tesla and Polestar knock the test drive out of the park. They bring the car to you. No pressure. The person actually knows the car and can answer questions. I can try fitting it in my small garage and put poo poo in the trunk. Great experience.

The PS2 is a fantastic car. I want to buy this car. The driving experience was great. Loved the tech. But we were playing Tetris with bags in the trunk and the center console is pretty useless. As a second car I would be all over it. Maybe I'll get a used one in the future.

Thanks for the rec on Polestar. I'm leaning towards the XC40. Local dealerships have a bunch on the lot so I expect better deals coming in September. Plan to also test drive an ID4 though I'm still real concerned about the heat pump.

Did you try the PS3? SUV with more room babey

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Electric vehicles doing the electrics slide with the van doors

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I wanna get an inexpensive, econoboxmobile. Eyeing the Bolt EUV - but gosh darn it I want the new type of EV coming in a year or two.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cruft posted:

Same, OP

Chevy bolt ultium battery friends :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Chronojam posted:

You could probably also just buy our used EUVs when we upgrade to the ultium models in a couple years :v:

I appreciate your solution-oriented mindset, my friend.

I want dat ultium battery bolt though!!!

Is it still scheduled for the 2025 model year? So release sometime in the back half of 2024?

Did some googling and supply chain issues might delay the new ultium Bolts?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Considering that the UAW are about to strike because the auto manufacturers are being the predictable capitalists they are, expect plenty more delays.

Yay labor solidarity :) That’s a good reason for delays.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrYenko posted:

Common Ford, put a giant scoop and an extra radiator on it you loving cowards.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-...ect_source=pitc

Owns but 250 range and $65k yeeeesh

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I change buttons by feel but I have to look at touch screens to know what I’m changing.

Skill issue???

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want it but range is meh and price is high

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*fevered dreams of getting a Chevy ultium bolt*

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love to electrically vehicularly get people squarting

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cruft posted:

I recommend taking the LEAF off your list. It kinda sucks.

A used Model 3 might be a good addition to your list. It's a polarizing company and no shame on you if you've already thought it over and decided against.

E: I own all three, AMA

Why does the leaf suck? Seems like a pragmatic econobox

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Unless you have some really specific use case, if you can't afford a single family home or a multi-family property with charging, you probably shouldn't be looking at EVs.

The gently caress is this

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

4 years from now we will enjoy Honda and Toyota evs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Why is Chevy getting rid of apple car play?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

bird with big dick posted:

Why isn’t the interior on this $27,000 Chevrolet as nice as that in a $45,000 BMW I ask, as I lackadaisically finger my own anus

Well?? What’s the answer???

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Give me the drat ultium bolt already!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

WhiteHowler posted:

Probably in late 2024 at the earliest.

Honestly I might have cancelled my 2023 EUV order and waited for the Ultium platform ones if GM weren't getting rid of Android Auto/AirPlay starting next year.

Will it still work with apple products?

I remember this thread had a post about how apple has like 3 different products all named permutations of “apple / car / play”.

I want an ultium bolt that plays well with my iPhone and I want it now!!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

More econoboxes for the thrifty and broke consumer pls

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Freezer posted:

Put in an order for a EX30, which would be our first fully electric car. Price range was just right, and wife fell in love with the design. Wondering whether 10% cost increase to go the Ultra trim makes sense just for a panoramic roof, electric seats and 360 cameras, but I'm leaning no so far.

So what’s the commitment of an order? Do you have to put some non refundable money down?

Because you haven’t been able to test drive it yet, right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got to poke around the EX30 but not drive it. It’s basically like a Golf sized thing, slightly taller. It’s a hair smaller than the EUV. I think it’s gonna be a hit if they can keep the price down. The interior is quite nice, it’s kind of like what if you made a model 3 interior, but not poo poo. Range isn’t ideal but as a city car I think it will work well. CCS isn’t ideal but supposedly they’ll ship with an adapter.

Thank you for the reconnaissance, comrade.

Vegetable posted:

Great timing on EX30 discussion — US pricing just came out. It’s pretty competitive. Reminder that it doesn’t qualify for the tax credit, although it’s possible the lease loophole will still be there.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/317733/volvo-car-usa-announces-pricing-for-2025-volvo-ex30

tldr

If I can wait long enough, it’ll be the single motor ultra for me.

Oh heck yeah give me that single motor ultra.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh the other thing on the EX-30 is that the back seat is at a weird angle and it's quite snug. The front cabin is nice and open and airy but the rear is not a place I would want to put anyone for an extended amount of time.

How big are you? Or are you saying it would be snug for most people?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

It's weird that modern cars are pretty big, even "small SUVs" but are somehow having issues fitting adults inside.

Yes!!! I have a tiny coupe made in the early aughts. So I’m used to small spaces but it makes sense since it is a tiny car.

A lil while back I test drove some hybrid suvs which I felt were monster sized and yet the insides were somehow cramped. What gives?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Less than $45k
Fast charging
Has 270+ range
Apple play
Has an actual HUD and not just a center screen
Okay or better ground clearance

What’s coming in the next year or so that satisfies this picky goon??

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

WhiteHowler posted:

Edit: Wait, do you mean an ACTUAL HUD, or just a driver-side dashboard?

You are correct! I meant driver-side dash board!

I apologize for the error and appreciate all of y’all’s advice!

I’m hoping that opens up some other options?? I can wait a year probably.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

We have driver death info now, people die in Model 3s at a higher rate than most cars in its insurance class of "midsize luxury sedans": https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

I enjoyed this data thank you for sharing

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cruft posted:

I was raised to never ever buy a new car, and I held to that until we T-boned a compact car at 50 and the driver didn't die due to side curtain airbags. Imagining a human's brains dashed against my grill had the effect of causing a reprioritizing.

Safety is our main concern when car shopping these days.

Maybe don’t t-bone other people

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the only thing i wish the bolt had was a faster charging speed.

Oh and the break light design is pretty stupid. the brake lights are on the bumper when you press the brake instead of the big jellybeans in the back where you'd think they'd be, so a few people have already got rear ended because of it (not me but now it's a One Fear thing)

I’m thinking about Bolt

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cruft posted:

cruft's second guide to charging standards

Preface: connectors vs protocols

The first thing…

Great post ty

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want bolt EUV. Please tell your dad that we are praying for him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Peachfart posted:

That doesn't means Hyundai sucks, that means there is more demand than supply in the area. For example, Seattle is reversed on that front.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow to laugh at salespeople desperate to sell Ioniq 5's.

Oh my. That’s kind of tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

priznat posted:

Did they put a rear wiper on the 2024 ioniq 5?

Every vehicle should have these!!!