Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I think everything could be solved by creating rules sourced from posters (assuming good faith) who post in this thread, not allowing one person to dictate what they feel is appropriate. Collaboration always leads to a better outcome.

We're on page two of a new thread and you've posted 3 pages of nitpicking complaints already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Part time manual driver here. I use max regen almost always. If I'm on the interstate I'll put in the normal mode to coast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

keseph posted:

This is one (of several) reasons I would never teach a new driver in my Model 3, but I do have two kids who will need to be taught and get a few years' practice on something. Assuming we haven't completely destroyed the planet in 6 or 7 years' time, which of 2019 or 2020's end-of-warranty depreciated EVs would you teach a 15 or 16 year old kid on?

I can't speak to all of the others, but I suspect most cars that have two regen options (maybe more?) will have one that feels basically the same as a normal car. The Volt has D and L...D is normal coasting, L is regen. In town I leave it in L. On the highway, D.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

Plenty of 90s and 00s are mechanically shifted.

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

E: NM not worth the slapfight

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 21, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McPhearson posted:

Honda Prelude.

Gone by 97. M6HA was electronic. But I think we've been nudged away from this argument.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon where's my TBI

?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does the 8 year warranty cover the smoke?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

angryrobots posted:

Seriously though, TOU billing is probably the only reliable way to get most people charging off-peak.

If there's a sure-fire way to slow adoption of EVs, you've found it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

angryrobots posted:

Why? If I had an available cheaper off-peak rate to take advantage of, it would make an EV more attractive financially?

Because the utility will crank your other rates up to avoid taking a loss. Or at least that's how it works here. Our TOU plan has 3 rates. The late night rate is about half the normal rate, the peak rate is 4x the normal rate, and there's an early morning rate that's slightly below normal. It doesn't tip the scales in the customer's favor. Thank god its opt-in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

angryrobots posted:

What's the rate during the middle part of the day?

44.x cents/kW, on the TOU plan. Normal is like 11.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

angryrobots posted:

For the entire of the daytime? That's not the way most plans are set up. What are their defined peak times?

It's buried so it took a while to find again. They've either changed it or I'm looking at a different plan, now it's .43 from 1-7, then .06 the rest of the day (compared to a flat .11 all day on the normal plan). Definitely not what I looked at last year, I know there were three prices not two. This is worth doing some math to look into.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean they do I think. The batteries just eventually poo poo themselves.

Depends on the car. Volt does not charge unless the vehicle is on, and it charges the 12v off the traction battery. I don't know WHY it doesn't trickle charge/tend the 12v off shore power.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

Pontiac.

Elmnt80 posted:

No, Pontiac. :getin:

gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Hope you sprang for Ceramic or Crystalline film, since that's where the tint will really help keep you from burning up.

I love the 3m Crystalline. Got it on everything in my Volt except the front windshield, which I regret leaving alone. Unfortunately the only shop in town that does it is a lying bunch of assholes, I learned as I picked up my car.

If I put the shadow of the A-pillar in the middle of my arm I can immediately feel the difference between the heat from the untinted glass vs the tinted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

At what point do you step back and look at your country as a whole, and realize that outside of 3-4 metropolitan areas, the rest of it is pretty much an afterthought at best, in the eyes of basically everyone who doesn't live there?

It's like that in the US, too. You can tell with pretty decent accuracy whether someone lives on a coast or not by their opinion on the electoral college. Note: I am not making a statement on the EC itself so please don't derail there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

EV thread people: "can we just get some major manufacturers to compete with Tesla so we can get quality EVs?"

Audi: "check out my E-tron guyz!"

EV thread people: "no, not starting at $80grand"

There you go.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And that's still $20,000 more than the average new car sale in the US and out of reach of 80% of the country financially. I get that we're focusing on the EV thread's population specifically, but the e-tron is not the game changer anybody needs at all. Shoveling deep, short-term discounts to move undesired inventory that's been building up isn't going to push Tesla anywhere. If anything, it probably reinforces their idea that they're already doing it right.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gamesguy posted:

Renting a car is probably more efficient than building a massive charging infrastructure with dubious local power sourcing though?

I always enjoy when the "Why would you switch from a horse to a car?" arguments show up in here.

Ola posted:

Why is it so important to give Tesla competition? I think we're still at the point where the interesting competition is anything EV vs anything not EV.

Until prices are comparable for similar-sized vehicles, we're not even at that point for people who wait more than 3 years before buying a new car.

Competition improves the end result, whether through higher quality, better features, lower prices, or a combination. If nothing else, it's a wider market for the customer to find something that's right for them. There are a lot of varying desires and needs out there, and Tesla is not the answer to a lot of them.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 21, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gamesguy posted:

Instead of compromising with an EV that'll fit 100% of your situations, why not get one that's good for 99% and rent something for that other 1%?

By your logic everyone should drive a pickup truck just in case they need to move a mattress once a year. I'm perfectly OK with my EV not being able to do a roadtrip across America, I want something that works great for me 99% of the time rather than merely OK 100% of the time.

Hell man, I wasn't talking about road tripping. My commute used to be 40 miles each way and if I wanted better groceries than the local walmart I had to drive further in the other direction, and there weren't any public chargers yet. In college I put almost 130 miles per day on my car (that was back when Prius was new and interesting). However, I'm well aware that these situations don't apply to most people...they don't even apply to me anymore. Since moving, I bought a Volt and the gas engine runs every three months or so because I'm far closer to civilization. But I can see that people have different needs and wants in their transportation, and I'm sure as hell not going to argue against taking steps in the right direction just because it's inconvenient. Also I hate rental cars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

Comfortably within opportunity for most current EVs in environments where there is a certain charging infrastructure, which is bound to be commonplace sooner or later - obviously in EV hotspots like Norway, the Netherlands and California first.

And the comment I initially responded to suggested that renting cars was better than building such infrastructure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wibla posted:

So buy a Tesla.

Do you get that snarky with everyone who doesn't think exactly like you? Tesla isn't THE answer. It's part of the answer, which works for some people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gamesguy posted:

I've personally never had a problem renting a car at the last minute, IMO it's not really more convenient to go out of your way to hit a charging station compared to renting a car. The overwhelming majority of EV owners also have a second gas powered car, this figure is higher for Tesla despite its charging infrastructure...

Plus wouldn't this same argument apply to trucks as well? Yet most people get by fine without one.

Most people have no need for a truck, ever, especially something spur of the moment. And if they do it's easier to borrow a friend's truck or ride with them to Home Depot than to rent a truck. I can fit 10-ft boards in my Volt. People who do full sized sheetrock buy trucks, because that's not really a spur of the moment thing.

And also trucks have matched/passed passenger cars in sales in the US.

Edit: V Quite right.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Agree on subscription services, but that's a weird take otherwise. How many cars (particularly VW/Audi diesels) are a mere ECU tune away from significantly more power?
Where do you draw the line on manufacturers "artificially" limiting performance? Naked bikes based on a supersport engine, tuned for midrange power instead of top end? Sleeved down engines? Not putting the aggressive cam on the commuter spec of a model? Is it just a hardware ok, software not ok thing for you? Calling it abhorrent is pretty hyperbolic (yes I know this is the internet).

You realize that a lot of people have been opposed to that kind of limit since computers started showing up in cars, right? It's not a new development. I recently bought a Chevy TBI-powered truck for camping and Home Depot runs, and hoooooboy does the community STILL have choice words for GM about the garbo tuning, particularly on the big block.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Kozmo was saying how insensed he is that a company would dare to do such a thing, and I'm thinking, what company doesn't, and hasn't for like decades?

Ah, my bad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

The unrestricted Autobahn is a loving relic that needs to be dismantled ASAP. Put a loving 130 kph limit everywhere!
It saves lives, it saves CO2. Theres no downside to it except for "car enthusiasts" who whine that they totally need to go that fast and what about ARE FREEDOM!!!

If you need to drive fast go on a loving racetrack and don't endanger innocent people with your stupid poo poo!

Where do you think you are right now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

The quality is rarely used in other cars, if at all, and the size and implementation is unique. Other than that, nothing special. :v: The 3 and Y don't have it IIRC.

How is the implementation unique?

HEPA is nothing special to Tesla except they spent the extra $2 per vehicle on that model.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

He did make and sell some actual working cars though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

it did result in the car doing a few emergency brakings because it thought we were going to have a head on collision with the incoming traffic on a two lane country road with no middle lane divider/marker

This should not be acceptable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

I've had this happen to some degree or other on every ACC system I've tried.

That's not a good thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's a problem I've never had with mine. But then my other vehicles each get in the low teens mpg, so the Volt's engine is still pretty drat efficient in my eyes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Oh poo poo!! Congrats. :toot: Enjoy your car!

In EV news: ID.4 first edition sold-out in the US in a day, and the Polestar Precept is going to production.

Concept:

That will be the best looking EV on the market. :swoon:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

The e-tron GT is going to look great as well

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/e-tron-gt

That's the best looking VW in years, but that Polestar hits all the right beats for me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If I'm dropping 60k on a car I shouldn't have to order a 1980s Playmates Dashboard Simulator accessory for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I suppose that does make sense, 8-12 hours of consumption at any level of current efficiency is more total than just using your own car for like an hour. I wonder where ICE taxi shakes out. Is ridesourcing like Uber, or like those car sharing services assuming optimal load? I assume the former.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird comparison to make. A rideshare driving 8 hrs a day vs a person driving what, an hour probably? Of course the rideshare is going to have a bigger impact. But if that one vehicle replaces 8 others, the math changes a bit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

chutwig posted:

Most vexing question so far: what drat key ring did they design this fob for? A key ring for ants?

This is the one of the most irritating trends in modern cars. H U G E fob, loving up ring hole.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Charles posted:

I miss when I could put all my keys on one ring!!!
Actually the Tesla Model 3 uses a credit card sized RFID or your phone which is pretty good.

I use a different keyring for each car. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any advice from yall about selling a Volt? are there some Volt boards where Volt people buy Volts?

There are a couple of facebook groups. Chevy Volt Enthusiasts and GM EV Buy-Sell are a couple that have cars listed regularly. GM-volt dot com probably does too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hell, more traditional manufacturers have hilarious QA issues, Tesla aint that special in that regard.

In my experience, most of the fanboys of other brands (most of my shitposting is about Chrysler quality) will respond to online complaints and mockery with "Yeah, but..." whereas Tesla fanboys seem to prefer "No, actually..." replies.

Edit: Thank you thread, for demonstrating exactly this. Imagine thinking people don't poo poo on Ford quality :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shamino posted:

Do you have some sort of disorder where cars bigger than a miata ran over your family?

I know 4 people who've been hit by cars, including me. Am I allowed to discuss that EV in the EV thread?