Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the typical percentage of total cost of an EV that batteries make up? I'm seeing different figures out there, some say around 30% others nearly 50%. Is there that wide of a range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, a few weeks ago I had someone hit me being an idiot, thankfully by the time they realized they we turning though a blindspot with a car coming and some evasive driving, it ended up being just a scuff on my fender flare, but my god it was like a fraction of a second from hitting the front corner of my bumper. It was so close to taking out an LED headlight, two sonar sensors and a radar, I can't even imagine what the bill would have been.

I always wonder, what would the price be to replace every part of a modern car if you tried to?

Would a $30,000 car suddenly cost $300,000?

Nov 6, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

Nissan: Ya blew it.

Should be their slogan.

Nov 6, 2002

priznat posted:

Their CX-90 PHEV looks interesting but I decided to not go for the first model year of an all new drivetrain

From my anecdotal reading there are a lot of CX-90 lemons coming off the line. New model, new platform, new drivetrain. Bad time.

Nov 6, 2002

Are you talking about the MX-30? Because Mazda is not even going to sell that in the US anymore.

I believe Mazda is going the Toyota route and focusing on PHEV.

Nov 6, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

I feel like I’ve read stuff like this (not from you but on Twitter etc) numerous times before and it makes me think that FSD maybe got a little better but essentially it just “got lucky” for one or two drives in terms of the conditions it faced and will start doing dogshit stuff again soon, probably the next drive.

I can't understand how anyone rational would put their life info the hands of "FSD" software.

priznat posted:

Oh yeah MX-30, not CX-30. I don’t understand their naming conventions there. In Canada I think we got a lot more of them as there are quite a few around but man they look horrible.

Fun fact, you have to open the front door in order to open the rear door.

quote:

On both sides of the MX-30, there are reverse hinge-style doors similar to those that used to grace the now-discontinued four-door Hyundai Veloster. In order to open the rear doors and access the small back seat space, you need to first open the front door, then open the rear half door. There’s no quick and easy way around this, which means that tossing something into the back seats requires opening two doors instead of one.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2024

Nov 6, 2002

Like this?

quote:

Mazda has found a unique solution to the MX-30 EV's short driving range, and it involves the company's first rotary engine since the RX-8 sports car. The new Mazda MX-30 e-Skyactiv R-EV is a plug-in hybrid with a small single-rotary gasoline engine that serves as a generator to charge the battery pack and allow for longer drives.

Mazda reduced the size of the lithium-ion battery pack, as the R-EV has a 17.8 kWh lithium-ion pack compared with the EV version's approximately 32.0-kWh pack. This allows it to go a measly 53 miles on a charge per the WLTP. But when the battery is depleted, the 830-cc 74-hp rotary engine kicks in to supply charge while on the move. The Mazda's 13-gallon fuel tank is larger than other such "range-extender" setups including the BMW i3 and Chevy Volt, but Mazda hasn't provided a longer range estimate that includes the gasoline engine's range boost.

Nov 6, 2002

The CX-50 is made in Alabama by Toyota and the interior reflects that. It's a much different feeling product than the Mazda models manufactured in Japan which have more premium touches.

Nov 6, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

It feels quite premium. The leather is great, really nice accent stitching, all good materials, feels very solid. How it drives, how it looks inside and outside are great. It’s feature designs that are most of my problems.

Automatic wipers wait too long before wiping
Auto dimming headlights wait waayyy too long before turning off brights
Apple CarPlay integration has some mind-bogglingly bad paths between CarPlay and native Mazda app
Door hold open points are only 6 inches wide, and completely all the way open, not at a normal person in parking lot getting into car, point
Auto lock on walking away works only 90% of the time, which makes it 100% useless
Speed limit monitoring doesn’t know the difference between limit signs and highway signs, so it thinks that the speed limit is 45 on Highway 45
Seatbelt warning dings even while car is in park
CarPlay only reconnects automatically about 30% of the time, so have to manually reconnect most times
360/Backup camera view stays on until you exceed 10mph driving forward
Climate control seems waayyy off. No matter the ambient temp, 71f setting is swelteringly hot, 70f is comfortable

Stuff like this. I could go on for an hour.

Shoulda bought an Ioniq5!

I've got a CX-9 and I know what you're talking about with autolock...

The problem is a function of you being too far away from the car before it can confirm that the key is indeed outside of the car. The detection range around the vehicle to determine that the key is nearby is limited and not evenly distributed - really only 2 or 3 feet. If you are outside this range when you close the door (which is when the system activates and starts looking for the key) - let's say you fling it shut with your arm extended while standing away from the car - it ain't gonna work. Also, a passenger opening their door while you are in the process of going out of range will interfere with it as well.

Basically stay within a couple feet until the last door is closed.

Nov 6, 2002

TheFluff posted:

Right now they're expensive but hopefully within a few years we'll see this scaled up.

I've heard this before.

Nov 6, 2002

A phone charger isn't actually the source of power either but we still call it a charger.

Nov 6, 2002

Some goons can't help but stirrup trouble.

Nov 6, 2002

Are there any numbers available on the amount of accidents Tesla's FSD has per mile?

Nov 6, 2002

cruft posted:

I went off in search of some actual statistics about automation causing people do make bad decisions. This should come as a surprise to no one ITT: adaptive cruise is resulting in people driving faster.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/adaptive-cruise-control-spurs-drivers-to-speed

e: and here's another (unsourced, unfortunately) blog post from 10 years prior, suggesting that just plain old cruise control, like the kind from the 1980s, results in people doing more dumb poo poo than they did previously: https://hornlaw.com/blog/2013/11/cruise-control-speed-limiters-affect-driver-concentration/

ee: Here's the 2011 study the blog post is probably referring to: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21376911/

In closing: people are not particularly good at evaluating risk.

I think the root of the problem is that any driving "aid" which allows or encourages people to pay less attention to the road by assuming part of the responsibility for operating the vehicle is a bad thing despite whatever convenience it might offer.

Nov 6, 2002

Are BYD’s cars death traps in an accident or is that just racist propaganda?

Nov 6, 2002

PHEV drivers are not plugging in enough.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/03/27/1090172/the-problem-with-plug-in-hybrids-their-drivers

Nov 6, 2002

why is it so hard to just make a loving $25k ev car?

Nov 6, 2002

biznatchio posted:

*the Chevrolet Bolt slowly appears out of the ether*

he said "good"

Nov 6, 2002

I've always purchased snow tires for our vehicles - I live in a New England state. But I've started to question the wisdom of this with how little snow accumulation we've had the last 2-3 years.

The good news is that they last quite a while since the winter months keep shrinking and each year they get less and less miles. The bad news is I'm still paying to have them put on and taken off.

Nov 6, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

Decided to google some numbers.

Toyota sold 104k [terrible] EVs worldwide in 2023.

Toyota sold 115k vehicles in Japan alone in just December 2023 (1 month). This is mostly ice/hybrid I assume.

This is mostly to illustrate the difference between mature and newer technology and how hard it is to build cars. Just ask Fisker!

The people behind Fisker would probably be failing if they were running a hamburger stand.

Nov 6, 2002

Ethical car consumption lol.

Nov 6, 2002

I don't want anything to do with Nazi's, that's why I only buy VAG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

they're for hypnotizing your X enemies