Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I would have guessed more, but 20k isn't actually that big of a cost once you're talking home construction....like at $250/sqft which i hear is basically the minimum you can get away with, a 2k sqft house would be 500k to build. What's another 20k at that point :v:

I think Yuns means $20k just for the in-home electrical and charger. Would not include utility costs which very much depend on your individual situation, and not to mention whether your local planning/zoning will permit it.

But I'm not gonna say it's impossible, especially when you get into large luxury homes that may actually get 120/208v 3-phase. It's unlikely to be feasible for most situations outside of that. Also, requiring that big of a service may bump your kwh rate into some kind of large commercial rate and those are usually really uneconomical for large occasional switched loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shamino posted:

Can we summon a lineman into this thread? Do residential runs even have three phase at the junction boxes?

:v:

I'm gonna assume you're actually talking about underground power in a typical subdivision and add to what Elviscat said. There *may* be 3 phase power in some of the junction boxes, but it's all high voltage. Ignoring the unlikelihood of having a 3 phase junction accessible to your property, it would also require a 3 phase padmount transformer for just your residence. Those are 120/208 wye only, so on top of a new panel you'll need all new appliances because they're all 240v and won't work.

In the EU, some countries run 3 phase to everything but you're not gonna DC fast charge on a typical residential service there either.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wibla posted:

Also late to the power supply chat: Unless you drive a lot, and/or live in a very cold area, you will most likely never need more than 4-5 kilowatts of charging at home. That's 20A at 240V. No 3-phase needed.

Also re: 400Hz converters - keep those loving things away from me, we had an electrical fire onboard ship (navy frigate) from the 400 Hz system once that put a bunch of people (including me :downs: ) in the infirmary. gently caress that poo poo.

Also every time you change voltage, or run power though a phase converter, you sacrifice some efficiency. That's ok for running a welder or 3 phase equipment occasionally in your residential shop. Seems counter-productive for an EV.

pun pundit posted:

So the British press release on Nissan's new CUV said the big battery option will support up to 22kW AC three phase. This is consistent with what Tesla offers on their big battery models (the S and X), and will fill it from empty to full in ~4 hours. It also points out that if nations or states want to support mass EV adoption they need to regulate for three phase availability in residential zoning.

Makes me wonder what onboard charging would look like on Rivian's proposed 200kWH model.

That's real easy for Nissan to say. Even assuming a magic wand could be waved and upgraded distribution lines installed quickly, the realities of power generation and transmission make at-home fast charging on a global scale ridiculously inefficient (and counterproductive if anyone wants to move away from coal and natural gas).

At-home energy storage that can slow charge all the time (or at off-peak times) and then fast charge your EV on demand is a much more realistic proposal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to know what type of electrical service they have to charge all those cars at the same time.

A regular service.. That's why they have so many cars

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Will there be a "saw a plastic bag in a bush" mode for leaving cars&coffee?

I appreciate this

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Doing my part to combat climate change! *NG peaker fires up*

Seriously though, TOU billing is probably the only reliable way to get most people charging off-peak. You can design all the smart charging systems you want, but people will defeat it or refuse to participate unless their actions hit them in the wallet. Related to this issue, I think there should be tax breaks/incentives/whatever other programs to promote employers to install chargers for employee use, even if they're just slow charging. Put some of this excess solar to use, and uh.... flatten the curve. :ducksiren:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

TOU billing won't help anything described in that article since it would require employers to accommodate workplace charging for everyone, not some choice by individuals. People already push charging to night right now due to TOU billing where applicable, but when you're concerned about lining up with solar generation rather than fossil fuel generation, you're pushing the high supply into a time window when people are going to be at work assuming we ever go back to work.

TOU billing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with workplace charging? Residential TOU billing would create an incentive to charge off-peak, either by behavior changes and/or participating in smart charging systems (to be implemented). Specifically, it helps with scenario #2 in the posted article where EV adoption can continue without massive upgrades in distribution and more NG usage to accommodate bigger daily peaks.

Yes, ideally workplace charging becomes the norm which also shifts load to solar, but the article didn't say this was part of their study or the two given scenarios.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Godholio posted:

If there's a sure-fire way to slow adoption of EVs, you've found it.

Why? If I had an available cheaper off-peak rate to take advantage of, it would make an EV more attractive financially?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Godholio posted:

Because the utility will crank your other rates up to avoid taking a loss. Or at least that's how it works here. Our TOU plan has 3 rates. The late night rate is about half the normal rate, the peak rate is 4x the normal rate, and there's an early morning rate that's slightly below normal. It doesn't tip the scales in the customer's favor. Thank god its opt-in.

What's the rate during the middle part of the day?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Godholio posted:

44.x cents/kW, on the TOU plan. Normal is like 11.

For the entire of the daytime? That's not the way most plans are set up. What are their defined peak times?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

It's a blanket text to all customers. They do have some creepy rebate program where they can control it though with creep thermostats. gently caress that, it's 72 during the day and 68 at night. I'm not a savage.

Rolling coal huh

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most houses in the US are absurdly under-insulated

QFT.

Also, regarding the "storing heat and/or compressed refrigerant", the cheap version of this when on tiered rates, is to set up your thermostat to run more (ie, a lower AC setpoint) when electricity is cheaper, then raising the setpoint higher than normal for the peak time so you can hopefully coast through without it turning on.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have had these installed for the past 10 years or so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYS2KVQ. Water heater runs twice a day and we've never noticed lack of hot water, when I was single I only had it run once a day.

Are you on a tiered kwh rate
and running it off-peak?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm soooo tempted to change the thread title

Do it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Non-tiered, just running it around the time we take showers or start dishes/laundry. Last hours was tiered, ran it off-peak

This seems like a real good way to allow the water to spend lots of time at a temperature that encourages bacterial growth. Especially the water at the bottom....I wonder if your lower element ever gets switched on?

Your tank is designed to heat up to the setpoint and then store that heat pretty efficiently. IMO it would make more sense to lower the thermostat and not use a timer (I could understand not wanting it to run at peak times). DoE, EPA recommend 120⁰F assuming no one in the home is immunosuppressed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm gonna guess the water you drove through popped loose one of the front inner wheel well liners and it's contacting the back of the wheel/a-arm/CV axle.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I once started my gasoline engined motor vehicle when temperature was a number

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

But why does it say 1/1, who the hell writes it like that

Countries with citizens who learn maths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005