Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So i finally got the first ETA date range for my Model Y Performance i ordered on the opening day of orders last year

It'll be about 10 months from order to delivery, because Australia is of course an EV backwater that no manufacturer gives a poo poo about

Just to spice things up a bit im part-financing this and although i have pre-approval the final paperwork is looking like it will coincide with me being in between jobs so the whole thing could fall through at the final hurdle :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I personally would think of not having to buy a new car on financing while I'm unemployed as a win

Just to clarify, i have the second job already lined up, it’s just that changeover period that complicates things…

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Lots of cars have key cylinders that stop giving a poo poo what key gets jammed in them to open/start, especially before chips, and some key fobs will unlock the wrong car if the code rotation lines up just right. There's also the case of garage doors opening on their own when a warship drives by with its search radar on.

A Tesla shouldn't have that problem with an electronic key system in 2023, but lol, here we are.

If you have PIN to drive enabled it wouldnt matter, no one is driving off with your car even if they by some random chance were able to get in it

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So 10 months after i ordered a Model Y Performance delivery day finally arrived

It really shouldn’t have been anything like that long a wait but for factors that were both Teslas fault (delaying build) and not Teslas fault (500 Teslas sitting on the docks in Singapore for 2 months while they sorted out the post-covid shipping clusterfuck)

Anyway it was a pretty smooth though typically bare-bones process to pickup the car, at least there were no PPF/tinting/rust protection hard-sells, but driving the car on the way home i put the window down just after leaving the delivery centre and could hear a ticking noise. Instantly knew it was something in the tyre, was hoping it was just a stone but it didn’t go away so about halfway home i stopped to have a look.

Sure enough there’s a tek-screw stuck in the front right tyre :(

Tyre was holding air so decided to drive home carefully monitoring the TPMS pressures. Got home and used the Tesla app to log a service request. Got a call 5 minutes later to confirm the issue and organise a fix. They arranged a service/tow guy to come out with a spare wheel and do a swap, take my wheel back to have it fixed and i would have to drive back to Tesla when it’s ready.

Took about a hour or so for him to arrive (this was a Saturday afternoon), he did the swap in my driveway, didnt have a spare 21" Uber so it was a 20" Induction but aside from not matching it made no difference to the car or driving.

Then i got a message later that day with a scheduled time to pickup the repaired wheel/tyre, unfortunately it was this Friday so have to wait til then

Cant fault the service really but i have a feeling they might try and stooge me for the cost of repairs, fortunately when we picked up the car in delivery we took a few happy snaps (as you do) before we drove away, and lo and behold in one of the pics you can see the screw in the tyre! So that proves it was there before i even set foot in the car so i aint paying for the repair!

Other than that really happy with the car, no issues with build quality, i mean it’s no Lexus (we’ve had two in the past) but it’s fine. About the most notable thing is the front and rear bonnet/tailgate/frunk/whatever opening mechanisms are a bit noisy and unrefined in operation. Software/interface wise it seems really well sorted and the performance when you put your foot down is just ridiculous for this type of car, almost to the point where ive thought i could’ve gone for the cheaper LR model, saved a chunk of cash and still been happy.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 24, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

An underwater ICE wouldn't burn and start a lithium fire tho. You get an hydrolocked engine and corroded electronics.

Battery packs are sealed, they have to be because coolant flows in them. They also have fuses at the battery that negate any chance of a short. If your EVs battery goes on fire it isn’t simply because it got flooded.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Every Tesla in the entire rest of the world (except i think China) uses CCS2 so how hard can it be?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Mach-E is avaible for order in Australia now and none of you are making me particularly keen to test drive it

Look at the pricing and then factor in the Ford dealership markup - reports of people getting quoted over $130k for the GT

Why would you when the Model Y is objectively a better EV in every way, for far less money (Elon hate aside)

Ford deserves to sell all of about 6 of these, while the Model Y continues to fly out the doors

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/05/model-y-becomes-best-selling-suv-in-australia-as-ev-sales-hit-record/

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 6, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

If by every way you mean 0-60 and range and not things like build quality, insurance rates and not being a human interface design nightmare.

The Teslas we get are built in the Shanghai factory and are by all reports way better quality than the US cars. I certainly dont have any issues with paint, panel gaps or squeaks or rattles, the car just feels solid.

Im also paying less for insurance on it than i paid for my (lower value) Lexus

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

The Tesla quality failings are across the board

No they aren't, as i have already pointed out. Tesla needs to work on its QC in the US plants maybe, the RoW is fine.

Also lol @ Ford's M3P/MYP competitor that can only run at full power for 5 seconds at a time

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Wayne Knight posted:

SO much empty space in the engine compartment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDsnt5xJTnk

What a laughably primitive (poo poo) design

I mean thats like something Tesla would have done, 20 years ago? Is that the best Mazda can do?

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 9, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

I don't care for the middle display as the only feedback to the driver. Also, the 2nd row could be an issue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhgdSF05cmo&t=643s

He is the first reviewer i’ve seen to point out it literally takes *no extra time or effort* to glance across to a speedo than it does to glance down at one

This becomes obvious the minute you get behind the wheel. The only improvement on either state is a HUD

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
One-pedal driving particularly in Hold mode (Tesla, not sure what it is in other cars) is seamless and I cant fathom why you would not use it, its superior

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Infinotize posted:

Yeah teslas don’t which I’m saying is dumb

Thats because you cant "turn off" regen from the accel pedal anyway so why would you also need it on brake? That makes no sense.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
You cant turn off one pedal driving, thats part of the reason their efficiency and range is high

Like why would you want to do that, dont buy a Tesla i guess?

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 21, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Infinotize posted:

No, it isn’t. If the brake pedal let you regen you could recapture just as much energy modulating the brakes. If anything removing the ability to coast is actually less efficient in certain conditions. You need to think about this a little more.

I mean you cant turn off OPD which means you cant turn off regen which is why efficiency/range is high. Tesla even makes the point of saying switching the driving mode to creep or roll reduces efficiency over Hold which is the only mode that applies regen down to stationary.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 21, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 21, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

It reduces efficiency for tesla because they don't do blended braking.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/tesla-reference/1051/how-tesla-s-regenerative-braking-works

quote:

Regen, as commonly referred to, makes it possible to drive a Tesla and never touch the brake pedal (along with some brake blending for slow speeds),

Teslas also blend friction braking when the battery is too full or too cold to accept regen.

quote:

but OPD is not a reason why teslas are relatively efficient.
In the situation where if you are not accelerating or steady-state you are always regenerating, (barring the full/cold scenario) yes it is.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 21, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

This.

With at home (or work) charging, EVs become significantly more convenient than ICE vehicles. But without them, they become significantly less convenient than ICE vehicles. Something to remember is that pretty much all EVs will gradually consume battery even when they are parked, and extreme weather greatly increases the consumption even if you aren't using it. There is also self discharge, batteries slowly lose charge over time and EVs are no different. Also some of them have standby services that consume battery if they are on (Tesla's Sentry Mode security system for instance), which run down the battery even faster because just being "awake" to power those standby features may consume 300w or more parked.

Thats probably another reason why they make a lot more sense if you have garage parking - you can disable Sentry mode when the car detects you are home, but if you're parking on the street you may not want to do that and so have to live with the battery drain. Its not huge but over a few days or a week it adds up

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Left side charge ports are dumb. They make street charging way harder than they need to be.

Not in RHD countries they dont :science:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Yes but no

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kind of the point, isn't it? If you're willing to throw money at it you can keep any car on the road for an infinite amount of time, but for most people there's a point where vehicles become no longer economical to repair. I doubt EVs will last much longer than ICE cars in that respect, but we'll see.

If they dont last longer its because of planned obsolescence but its pretty clear from a drivetrain perspective EVs could last way longer than ICE simply by the massive reduction in parts, wear/friction points and complexity. Even batteries, most original Model S's are hitting 10+ years with just reduced range and nothing catastrophic.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I think there is a perception that i3s are going to become huge money pits, so far there is no evidence for that as far as I can tell but I did not want to stick around long enough to find if a part was going to fail in the battery pack or something that costs $10k to fix. I very intentionally sold mine before the battery warranty expired because I figured someone will give me more money to be able to check the battery out with BMW and have any modules replaced if needed.

"perception"? Its a BMW ffs

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

priznat posted:

I have been seeing a lot of MYPs around with the uberturbine wheels that are absolutely curb shredded and it is cringetastic, good lord.

They actually need those stupid plastic gaiter things on the rims that announce to everyone “I am a lovely driver with no spatial awareness”

Can confirm, i curbed mine twice in the first week of ownership :(

And i'd like to think im not your average "lovely driver with no spatial awareness" but in my defence

* The car is decently bigger than what I've been driving for the past 5 or so years
* Tyre fitment from the factory is ridiculously stretched, not only does it look stupid and compromises ride quality but it guarantees no protection for the rim.

I have since done the common tyre upgrade (correct width tyres on the back, OEM rear tyres to the fronts) which fixes these issues and has no apparent effect on economy/performance

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I find the Tesla fine for reverse parking since the mirrors auto-dip so that in conjunction with the rear cam is all i need, but front-first parking is the problem since theres no way to see the curb where the front wheels are

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

cruft posted:

How do you rotate your tires if they're different widths?

... You do rotate your tires, right? :ohdear:

Simple answer is you dont, same as with any car with staggered tyre sizes

I mean you can on the same axle obviously but that shouldnt make a difference.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 18, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
You can bet a significant chunk of Model 3 owners will absolutely have to have the updated car when it comes out and so will flood the used car market with their current M3s

There will be a few bargain secondhand M3s at that point but who knows exactly when the new car will be released

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
It still baffles me how people will insist the car is wrong and not their lack of coordination of their right foot. I got my head around driving with regen within the first test drive and had it sussed within the first week of ownership. If you are making yourself or your passengers sick that’s a you problem. gently caress Tesla if they ever change regen so the car becomes less efficient and wears out the brakes faster just to appease these people.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The technology needs to serve the user, not the other way around. If someone wants their new car to behave like their old car, coasting when they let off the accelerator and not actively decelerating until they touch the brake, the car should let them do that.

And god drat I keep seeing people with this stupid misconception about efficiency re. pedal modes and it drives me nuts. The balance between regenerative braking and friction braking is completely unrelated to what pedal you use to control it. Instead of blending acceleration and regenerative braking on the accelerator pedal, you could let the car coast and blend regenerative braking and friction braking on the brake pedal, and there would be no difference in the amount of energy the car uses or wastes.

Single pedal driving is not some magic technology that makes the car more efficient. It's just a user interface decision.

In a Tesla it does and thats my point - the brake pedal *only* operates the conventional brakes. If Tesla were to reduce the regen on the accelerator pedal in order to appease people who cant learn how to drive smoothly with it then that by default means more friction braking which means less efficiency.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Or they could just make the brake pedal blend regen and friction braking, like the high-technology 2013 Nissan Leaf managed to do, and also literally every other EV.

I always drive in one-pedal mode, and the Bolt's max-regen paddle is cool, I almost never touch the brake pedal unless I'm on a steep hill. But some people don't like that and never will, which is fine, and it appears trivial

Does it though? Because the brake pedal is a direct mechanical/hydraulic connection to the brakes. The accelerator is an electrical connection to the motor controller so it makes perfect sense to use one pedal for the mechanical system only and the other pedal for an electrical connection to the controller only. That seems like the simplest and most straightforward of solutions.

"man these newfangled horseless carriages with their steering tillers, theyre not easy to use like the reigns on a horse!"

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

It is kinda funny that Tesla is the one going for the simple, non-tech-forward approach.

But putting a spring and a linear potentiometer on the first inch of brake pedal travel is pretty loving easy, and your analogy is stupid. Just because you have a preference for one thing doesn't magically make other people's preferences somehow wrong.

My analogy was to point out that just because a subset of users cant or dont want to get used to some new way of doing things doesnt automatically make that new way wrong. Sometimes people just have to suck it up, particularly while there are others who dont have a problem and see the benefits.

I guess the alternative is just dont buy a Tesla.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

What is the advantage of not blending the brake pedal?

The advantage is one-pedal driving and the removal of a default coasting condition which improves efficiency, as I've said before.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

No, it doesn't, as everyone in this thread who knows dick about poo poo, including other Tesla owners, told you last time, you willfully ignorant buffoon.

I drive one every drat day, i know how it works. You are the one making assumptions about Tesla introducing blending on the brake pedal which i’m not talking about.

I’m not sure how i can put it any clearer, if Tesla were to reduce the deceleration effect on Accelerator liftoff *without modifying brake pedal operation* that would make the car less efficient because there would be less regen. Capisce?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I'd be questioning the Edmunds results given there are no end of EV range comparisons on the internets (granted, with varying degrees of accuracy) that show Teslas typically mid-pack in terms of actual range vs claimed range.

I mean this is a huge red flag right here

quote:

All but one of 10 other models from other manufacturers exceeded their advertised range.

Every real-world comparison between multiple EV models I've seen shows the majority of them getting significantly less than the official claimed range. Its actually rare for a car to equal or exceed it.

TeslaBjorn keeps a huge spreadsheet with all the cars he tests, im sure this sort of data is in there. Then theres all the Youtube channels like Carwow, RSEV etc who have done a bunch of range tests.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Yes Tesla is fraudulent compared to all the other EV manufacturers who’s cars never overestimate real-world range by the same if not greater error margins

[edit] 373 miles 😆

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 29, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Why would Tesla bother to do this when presumably by the time people are finding out this nefarious deed they have already bought the car?
I mean anyone buying a new Tesla is not even seeing the range estimate on their particular car until theyve already signed and paid so im not seeing what possible benefit there is in doing this.

What difference does it make as opposed to blatantly false advertising as per the Mustang ad above?

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 29, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Fake news, everyone knows as soon as your Tezler battery gets wet it erupts in a nuclear meltdown

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Wow this blows my mind

Service station attendants (ie, gas pumpers) died out like 25 years ago in Australia

Also they got rid of the pump nozzles triggers that you could lock on because "safety" so yep you have to stand there pressing it for 10 minutes while your 120 litre long-range tank fills. Needless to say these are extra nice little things you no longer have to put up with when you enter EV land

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 1, 2023

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I need to grab a mirror and just unplug the lock wiring on mine. Using a public charger is super rare for me, so all it does is annoy me at home.

On Teslas if you set your car to not auto-lock at home (because you’re parked in your garage and don’t need sentry running etc) then you can unplug any time just by pressing the button on the handle - is this not a thing on other cars?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Swappable batteries is an idea that sounds better in theory than it works in practice

I’ll bet money either charging speed improves or people get over charging times before battery swap stations really catch on

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

A non-exhaustive list of reputable tire brands, for the not tire people around here:

Michelin, Bridgestone/Firestone, Pirelli, Continental, Kumho, Toyo.

For an EV I'd look at a low-rolling-resistance tire, there should be options from most of those brands in a decent all-season. Getting the more expensive version with a better treadwear warranty is a better value IME.

Personally I'd pick a reputable tyre brand as above, then go for whatever rates on somewhere like Tirerack as a quiet, comfortable tyre. I refuse to believe tyre A in an identical size to Tyre B is going to make any significant difference in efficiency worth worrying about. You would get far more variation in efficiency by things like not running the right pressures.

[edit] Im assuming what you guys call "summer tyres" as i have no knowledge of winter/snow tyres, we dont get them here