Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Congrats! It looks great. You ended up with the GT then?

Thanks and yup for the GT. It feels like teleporting to wherever you want to be on the road especially since the steering is so quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jymmybob posted:

Just got it home and charging via crappy 110 until my wall charger rolls in tomorrow but it's an incredible car. Insane power with clever, thoughtful design everywhere. It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

I'll do a burnout by the weekend, I didn't buy a car with a drift mode to never use it.

One of us! One of us!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elviscat posted:

Tell Aptera that. (I know we're not taking about Aptera)

Aptera is fake bullshit though

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
BWSD

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Vegetable posted:

They made a Lexus version of the Toyota bZ4x (did I capitalize that right?).

https://youtu.be/8OV_XXt75aI

No word on whether it’ll similarly lose half its range and fail to charge in cold weather, as well as have wheels that fall right off.

I like it, I think it is priced a smidge too high for it's range, size and tech. Like, $5k-$8k overpriced. It would be an OK car fully loaded at $60k with better tech.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Vegetable posted:

Review of the new Prius. Plug-in hybrid with ~44 miles of range.

https://youtu.be/usqSJ7zbTLQ

It looks like a good car but I lolled at the solar panel’s achievements. He left the car out for an entire weekend and it regained just 12% battery. That’s 5 miles of range.

It might make a lot of sense for someone with outdoor parking and very short commutes. But it’s also no wonder we don’t see solar panels in pure EVs. With a larger battery the gain would be minuscule in percentage.

I think theres an interesting use for it if the car can also output power. Like theres an ioniq 5 model with 400w of solar power on the roof, and with the power output system, you essentially are carting around a 400w solar system and inverter wherever you go without draining the battery.

Jymmybob posted:

Just got it home and charging via crappy 110 until my wall charger rolls in tomorrow but it's an incredible car. Insane power with clever, thoughtful design everywhere. It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

I'll do a burnout by the weekend, I didn't buy a car with a drift mode to never use it.

Nice, congratulations! I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the lime green accent whenever I saw it, but that blue paint with the green looks the best of any of the GT colors I've seen to the point where i might start to think it actually looks sharp.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Mach-E is avaible for order in Australia now and none of you are making me particularly keen to test drive it

Look at the pricing and then factor in the Ford dealership markup - reports of people getting quoted over $130k for the GT

Why would you when the Model Y is objectively a better EV in every way, for far less money (Elon hate aside)

Ford deserves to sell all of about 6 of these, while the Model Y continues to fly out the doors

https://thedriven.io/2023/06/05/model-y-becomes-best-selling-suv-in-australia-as-ev-sales-hit-record/

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 6, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jymmybob posted:

This owns and I love the brake calipers

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

Look at the pricing and then factor in the Ford dealership markup - reports of people getting quoted over $130k for the GT

Why would you when the Model Y is objectively a better EV in every way, for far less money (Elon hate aside)

If by every way you mean 0-60 and range and not things like build quality, insurance rates and not being a human interface design nightmare.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

If by every way you mean 0-60 and range and not things like build quality

lemme stop you right there, Hoss

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

lemme stop you right there, Hoss

I probably get a Tesla Uber at least once a week, if they weren't "Teslas" they wouldn't compare favorably to a Honda Elantra.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

If by every way you mean 0-60 and range and not things like build quality, insurance rates and not being a human interface design nightmare.

The Teslas we get are built in the Shanghai factory and are by all reports way better quality than the US cars. I certainly dont have any issues with paint, panel gaps or squeaks or rattles, the car just feels solid.

Im also paying less for insurance on it than i paid for my (lower value) Lexus

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I probably get a Tesla Uber at least once a week, if they weren't "Teslas" they wouldn't compare favorably to a Honda Elantra.

no Ford interior is worth $100k+

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Which is why I paid just a smidge over $50k for mine before tax credit.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Which is why I paid just a smidge over $50k for mine before tax credit.

How much did you pay for the rest of the car, though? :dadjoke:

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 6, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I got a Mach-E at MSRP price (actually a little cheaper but im a big ole jerk so, you know), I don't think those markups are still happening

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BWND

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aptera is fake bullshit though
The original Car Citizen

Maybe that’s the Terrafugia Transition actually

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Probably would not get it myself in a world where I could afford such things, but it is weird in a way I like. It feels like it's dying to be the Ninja Turtles van in the future.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

We get it, you only tell us every page.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla-quietly-disconnecting-radar-in-customer-cars-during-service-visits

quote:

Tesla prides itself in simplicity—whether that be a minimalistic interior, single-piece casting, or the use of as few sensors as possible. In 2021, Tesla made the decision to remove the radar sensor from its best-selling Model 3 and Y vehicles and decided shortly afterward that the luxury-oriented S and X should follow suit. Now, Tesla is going on the offensive for select vehicles that still have radar units installed and unplugging the sensors from customer cars during routine service appointments.

The silent change was noticed by some eagle-eyed customers who found a no-cost line item on their service estimates, which must be approved prior to a Tesla Service Center performing work on a customer car. This means that if owners approve the work estimate for their car without reading through it ahead of time, the service techs may simply disconnect the radar during the service visit.

Self-Driving Tech photo
Contrary to earlier reports, Tesla isn't actually physically removing the radar units from customer cars. Instead, the service bulletin (which is not accessible to the public, but has been shared in a Reddit comment) describes disconnecting the radar from the vehicle harness and capping off the end of the plug—so the radar unit is still in place, just not physically hooked up to the vehicle's wiring harness.

Some owners have caught the line items on their estimates and have tried to remove them, only for the item to be automatically added back. Others have had success to remove the task by manually asking the service center to not disable the sensor, something which reportedly is obliged. However, owners say they are then warned that "a future over the air update is going to disable the sensor anyway."

:lol:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Why go to all this trouble, IDGI

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wild guess but they are worried with that the old radar is going to start throwing errors as they integrate the new radar that they said wasn’t needed with their poo poo codebase.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, there's more.

They say the radar hasn't been used for a while, which seems right to me, it can never see two cars ahead anymore. And the unit drains the battery, that makes sense. Lastly, they have water intrusion issues that can damage other sensors, presumably due to a short.

So, yeah, the radar's useless now and they're disconnecting them. I wish the radar still worked, but I have to admit it doesn't actually work out to any real difference in my day to day driving at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

we aren't removing basic functionality that you already paid for, we're streamlining your automotive experience

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

Oh, there's more.

They say the radar hasn't been used for a while, which seems right to me, it can never see two cars ahead anymore. And the unit drains the battery, that makes sense. Lastly, they have water intrusion issues that can damage other sensors, presumably due to a short.

So, yeah, the radar's useless now and they're disconnecting them. I wish the radar still worked, but I have to admit it doesn't actually work out to any real difference in my day to day driving at this point.

Battery drain should be negligible and, um, water intrusion issues?

I had a minute to think and I think the most likely situation is they are worried about being sued because they purposefully degraded the safety systems and want paperwork saying the customer agreed to it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not sure why this got marketed to me since I’m not in Switzerland, but here’s a cool electric microcar:

https://youtu.be/-n-pzXefQW8

The door is at the front of the vehicle (!), it’s made by a scooter company and has 110 miles of range.

Cars like that are apparently quite common all over Europe and China already. I don’t think I’ll see one in the US, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That front door thing was just like the Isetta!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
As far as I know, in the US: 4 wheel = car = big pile of safety regulations that thing probably won't meet. That's why things that aren't going to meet any sort of safety standards have 3 wheels, like the Polaris Slingshot, or the Aptera Vaporware.

edit to add: Also I think I've heard in France, maybe elsewhere, that small little car things like that can be driven without a regular drivers' license, so available to teens.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

borkencode posted:

As far as I know, in the US: 4 wheel = car = big pile of safety regulations that thing probably won't meet. That's why things that aren't going to meet any sort of safety standards have 3 wheels, like the Polaris Slingshot, or the Aptera Vaporware.

No, they are allowed, golf carts are street legal in many jurisdictions, including mine. They fall under a class called "Low-speed vehicle" or "Neighborhood Electric Vehicle", it's just most of the infrastructure in the US is very inhospitable to making they anything near popular, but they are still a thing, particularly in beachside communities, retirement communities, upscale masterplanned golf communities, etc.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Battery drain should be negligible and, um, water intrusion issues?

Water intrusion can happen when for some reason water gets into a system that's not supposed to have water in it. We're all at least anecdotally familiar with what happens when water hits electronics. If this component shares a circuit with other sensors, a short would cause the controller to stop sending 12V power to all of the components, which means nothing would get power. So other systems could go offline.

This is like the time when I was babysitting a couple kids and one of them stuck a partially chewed jujube in the rear cigarette lighter of my 1972 Oldsmobile Toronado. It took out the dashboard instrument cluster and the cabin lighting too, and since it was night, suddenly I was driving with no instruments. Needless to say I was pissed off.

For this reason, it makes sense to disconnect an unused part that shares a power circuit with other components. I'm already unhappy that my radar is disabled. I'd be super mega pissed if the ultrasound proximity sensors went offline because the now useless radar casing cracked and then I drove through a puddle.

That radar is probably closer to the ground than any other electrical component on the car. It would get caked up with snow every time it was snowing, too, and I'd have to get out and clear it to keep even the cruise control working. It's not a mental stretch for me to think a lot of them failed from water intrusion.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 7, 2023

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The key is that it’s not a dichotomy: it can be (and is) simultaneously true that it is generally a best practice to disconnect unneeded or disabled hardware where it may cause interference with working systems, and that it is stupid that the radar is disabled to begin with and this is even a conversation.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

Water intrusion can happen when for some reason water gets into a system that's not supposed to have water in it. We're all at least anecdotally familiar with what happens when water hits electronics. If this component shares a circuit with other sensors, a short would cause the controller to stop sending 12V power to all of the components, which means nothing would get power. So other systems could go offline.

This is like the time when I was babysitting a couple kids and one of them stuck a partially chewed jujube in the rear cigarette lighter of my 1972 Oldsmobile Toronado. It took out the dashboard instrument cluster and the cabin lighting too, and since it was night, suddenly I was driving with no instruments. Needless to say I was pissed off.

For this reason, it makes sense to disconnect an unused part that shares a power circuit with other components. I'm already unhappy that my radar is disabled. I'd be super mega pissed if the ultrasound proximity sensors went offline because the now useless radar casing cracked and then I drove through a puddle.

That radar is probably closer to the ground than any other electrical component on the car. It would get caked up with snow every time it was snowing, too, and I'd have to get out and clear it to keep even the cruise control working. It's not a mental stretch for me to think a lot of them failed from water intrusion.

OK, see, here is where we at, you are telling me that not only are they disabling an important safety sensor, but physically disabling them from their cars because them being apparently so poorly built by owner/manufacturer consensus that not going to significant effort to physically unplug it might make their cars even worse by their poor quality, allowing that sensor now useless, again, important sensor, to disable other sensors. Also, did they backtrack on disabling the ultrasound proximity sensors? Because they were going to disable those too.

And I'm the person with bad car opinions about Tesla.

:psyduck:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's not that your opinions about tesla are bad it's that you have some sort of brain disease that makes you think Fords are any better. My guess is tertiary syphilis.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't think they've ever said they were going to disable ultrasonic sensors in cars that have them, source?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

It's not that your opinions about tesla are bad it's that you have some sort of brain disease that makes you think Fords are any better. My guess is tertiary syphilis.

Pretty much this, 3O. I'm trying to figure out why a team of competent engineers might decide something given a particular situation. We talk about Tesla a lot ITT, but I do this same thing for the LEAF and the Bolt.

The bad opinion accusations come in when someone starts talking like their car manufacturer's poo poo doesn't stink.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I don't think they've ever said they were going to disable ultrasonic sensors in cars that have them, source?

I recall some speculation that the ultrasonic sensors were next on Tesla's chopping block during the chip shortage. I don't recall hearing any further discussion about it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

I recall some speculation that the ultrasonic sensors were next on Tesla's chopping block during the chip shortage. I don't recall hearing any further discussion about it.

That's no longer installing them in cars though, not "disabling" them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

If by every way you mean 0-60 and range

And efficiency
And charging speed
And charging network
And passenger room
And cargo room
And etc, etc, etc.

Your opinions are bad because they're objectively bad. I don't even understand why you post in AI you clearly view cars as an appliance and you don't enjoy driving, go spend more time posting about your toaster.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

Pretty much this, 3O. I'm trying to figure out why a team of competent engineers might decide something given a particular situation. We talk about Tesla a lot ITT, but I do this same thing for the LEAF and the Bolt.

The bad opinion accusations come in when someone starts talking like their car manufacturer's poo poo doesn't stink.

Yess, I think the Ford EVs are better produced cars, with marginally better interiors, but marginal in a way that gets them between the barrier of H&M to Gap quality.

I didn't buy a GT on purpose, I think the seats are worse and the performance improvements are negligible on what is already a quick car by the standards that anyone would price compare it to, I think they released the GTs too quick and that was a major mistake.

The Tesla quality failings are across the board and I would like you to point to me anything that Ford hosed up, including the HVBJB, that comes close to anything Tesla has done before you even get to the FSD scam, and I mean it, it's a scam, can we both agree that Tesla is absolutely nowhere near to delivering FSD that they are promising the entire value of their cars on and taking huge amounts of money up front for?