Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So there's around 1000 smilies on the smilies page, all named haphazardly by the people or mods who created them. They're nominally organized into categories and alphabetized, but those categories are few, vague and arbitrary, and the alphabetization doesn't help when something like this :rubshands: is named "rubshands" or this :regd08: is named "regd08" and you're trying to find it. There's a search function, but again, the arbitrary names make it kinda moot. Looking for a specific smiley you don't remember the name of is a huge pain in the neck.

Now I don't think renaming the smileys to fit some kind of uniform naming convention is feasible, since people have been used to the names of some of these for over a decade, and it'd just create more confusion. But what could easily be done is much more aggressive categorization, eg putting all the :smugdog:/:frogout:/:smith: derivatives into the same category, putting all the smileys featuring disconnected hand gestures :hf: :respek: :arghfist: into the same category, etc. There's lots of ways one could organize them, all of them better than giant categories featuring over 100 smileys each.

I realize this is probably a pretty low priority thing to fix, especially during these tumultuous forums times, but it also seems like it wouldn't take that much work to do. Hell, I could probably do it in an afternoon, and I'm an idiot.

Thanks for reading my post, vote 5 :five: and reply :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

rubshands is named as such because u can imagine the man r ub hands befopre the drink is spilled

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think when it's been brought up in the past, the request is to make a specific proposal of how you would organize it (like, actually go organize it) and we can discuss if it's better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is now a search function; I think it would be helpful if people went through and tagged all the smilies with logical tags. So that one might have the tags: face, Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol, etc.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

So there's around 1000 smilies on the smilies page, all named haphazardly by the people or mods who created them. They're nominally organized into categories and alphabetized, but those categories are few, vague and arbitrary, and the alphabetization doesn't help when something like this :rubshands: is named "rubshands" or this :regd08: is named "regd08" and you're trying to find it. There's a search function, but again, the arbitrary names make it kinda moot. Looking for a specific smiley you don't remember the name of is a huge pain in the neck.

Now I don't think renaming the smileys to fit some kind of uniform naming convention is feasible, since people have been used to the names of some of these for over a decade, and it'd just create more confusion.

If possible, maybe introducing some second names could help. Where posting either "regd08" or another name, such as "intotheground" or "lrtsitg" or something would also display it.

We could also write accessible descriptions of all smileys which could also be searchable.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ColdPie posted:

I think when it's been brought up in the past, the request is to make a specific proposal of how you would organize it (like, actually go organize it) and we can discuss if it's better.

Two categories.

Good:
:cheerdoge:

the rest:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

FWIW, the search function searches through the image alt text too. So searching for "into the ground" will pull up :regd08:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smilie tagging would be good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dip Viscous posted:

FWIW, the search function searches through the image alt text too. So searching for "into the ground" will pull up :regd08:

It's true that does help a little, but it's still not ideal.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I don't have the ability to add more categories. I can move all smilies around in the current ones, change the alt text that is searchable, and change the :tags:.

I just changed 's alt text to this:

dog holding beer dog doge cheer cheers Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol

So any of those words is now searchable for it.

So categories going to have to wait till Jeff has time to gently caress with smilies and add them. The rest I can do. It's editing them one by one, so it's not quick, but it's doable on my end.

So if you are all about that life, and want to category them and come up with better alt text for the search...it can be done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of them, so can this thread maybe be people volunteering to go through one by one and add what they think makes sense? Would that be helpful to you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah new categories is bizarrely hard and something I want to do. It'd definitely help. I do think tagging is a better long term solution - it lets the people using a given smilie be the ones who add tags that matter. This is.... Low on my priority list and frankly, the search that Main Painframe wrote is already a huge improvement, even if it's not perfect.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pick posted:

There are a lot of them, so can this thread maybe be people volunteering to go through one by one and add what they think makes sense? Would that be helpful to you?

If anyone wants to take the time to better tag smilies, I will take the time to add them. It might take me a while, but I'll make sure it gets done.

You can also work on categories. Like Jeff just said there, they wont be sorted into them for a while, but we can always have a nice short categories to add list for later.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

dog holding beer dog doge cheer cheers Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol

To save you some work: if it has 'doge' in the text a search for 'dog' will find it too. Same for cheers/cheer and drinking/drink. 'dog holding beer' is fine to stay in there in case someone wants to type the phrase out.

e: and iirc 'dog holding beer' was the original hover text which should typically stay anyway

astral fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 15, 2020

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

astral posted:

To save you some work: if it has 'doge' in the text a search for 'dog' will find it too. Same for cheers/cheer and drinking/drink. 'dog holding beer' is fine to stay in there in case someone wants to type the phrase out.

Good to know.

Also the list I have is sorted alphabetical by category. Maybe keep that in mind when everyone submits a bunch of changes. Tougher on me if I have to hop all over making changes. I'll still get it done, but just trying to make it less of a clusterfuck would be a bonus.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I would volunteer to add tags to smilies. Maybe assign a set group to people who can then send the tags to Athanatos?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Peachfart posted:

I would volunteer to add tags to smilies. Maybe assign a set group to people who can then send the tags to Athanatos?

I was gonna pm some random ones but then I was like "nah this needs to be organized" so yeah I agree.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

One way to organize it might be a new "Help tag all the smilies!" thread with a list of the smilies in the order Athanatos sees them in the OP, then people could reply with suggested tags which could be edited into said OP before eventually being applied to the actual smilies list in an organized fashion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If we honestly want to be helpful, why don't we just volunteer and then he can send us a list of like 30 emoticons and we tag them and send them back to him, and when we're done he can send us another 30. If somebody tags like crap, we can go back and edit them or whatever. But probably most of the tags will be pretty straightforward. There are a few that I would recommend that are generic ones, like if there is a face I think that it should be tagged face because that's a huge differentiator between the two types of emoticons that we have.

If one of the emoticons on the list is one that you don't know, just take it to one of the emoticon explainer threads and they'll probably explain it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks for reading my post, vote 5 :five: and reply :justpost:

No, OP, I will vote :one: and :orb: instead.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Here are the first category in the order it gives me through the letter C. There is a smiley limit in posts, so I img linked them too to keep the visuals.

:(

:)

:11tea:

:30bux:

:3:

:a2m:

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

:actually:

:agesilaus:

:airquote:

:allbuttons:

:allears:

:am:

:angel:

:anime:

:anttony:

:argh:

:arghfist:

:awesomelon:

:bahgawd:

:bang:

:banjo:

:batuka:

:biglips:

:bird:

:birdthunk:

:black101:

:blastu:

:blush:

:boobeer:

:boom:

:bravo2:

:burger:

:butt:

:butts:

:c00lbutt:

:captainpop:

:carol:

:catholic:

:cawg:

:cb:

:cenobite:

:chanpop:

:chaostrump:

:cheeky:

:cheerdoge:

:cheers:

:cheersbird:

:chef:

:choco:

:circlefap:

:ck5:

:classiclol:

:clint:

:coal:

:coffee:

:colbert:

:comeback:

:commissar:

:confuoot:

:confused:

:cool:

:coolfish:

:cop:

:crackping:

:crossarms:

:cry:

:cthulhu:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
However you all think it will work best.

If you want to crowd source poo poo in a thread, if you want to each be sent some, let me know how I can make it easy to get done.

If you help, I can give avatars, gangtags, account upgrades, whatever as a thank you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you send me like 50 or 60 I'll gladly do them for you, but please don't reward me, I am not motivated by positive feedback, affirmations, or love.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It would also be good to add the color/colors of each smiley. So if you were searching for :argh: you can type "red".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes, I recommend:

- dominant color, if there is one
- text
- acronym of text
- face (if it's a face emotion)
- static (for non animated emoticons)
- animated (for animated emoticons)

And relative discretion from there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Athanatos posted:

However you all think it will work best.

If you want to crowd source poo poo in a thread, if you want to each be sent some, let me know how I can make it easy to get done.

If you help, I can give avatars, gangtags, account upgrades, whatever as a thank you.

If you like, you can assign me a bunch and I’ll work on them.

Edit: maybe not the drug ones, I’m not very familiar with that area.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

There is now a search function; I think it would be helpful if people went through and tagged all the smilies with logical tags. So that one might have the tags: face, Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol, etc.

I really think this would be a great Goon Project.

e: I probably should have read the rtest of the thread first

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Midjack posted:

Same here, hit me up if you want some help with this. I am not a prolific poster, but this I can do.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

hey everyone just a reminder that i made the cheer doge emoticon. just had to drop that in real quick. anyway back to whatever yalls was doing

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pick posted:

If you send me like 50 or 60 I'll gladly do them for you, but please don't reward me, I am not motivated by positive feedback, affirmations, or love.

Jiru posted:

Same here, hit me up if you want some help with this. I am not a prolific poster, but this I can do.

Midjack posted:

Will send you some. You want them in thread or PM? (I gave Jiru plat)

There is 100 character limit on the text entry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pm or email to sendthemtopick@gmail

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dip Viscous posted:

To see the alt text you gotta be looking at it on the smilies page in the first place; elsewhere it gives the code.

That and alt text-based organization isn't particularly mobile-friendly.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Pick has :) to :butt:

Midjack has :butts: to :commissar:

Jiru has :confuoot: to :dukedoge:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i am honored

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I would like to try this too

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

cda posted:

I would like to try this too

PM'd you :eek: to :gibs:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'll tag some smileys why not. pm or email corgskiSA@gmail.com

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

corgski posted:

I'll tag some smileys why not. pm or email corgskiSA@gmail.com

Pm'd you :gizz: to :holy:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pick posted:

Yes, I recommend:

- dominant color, if there is one
- text
- acronym of text
- face (if it's a face emotion)
- static (for non animated emoticons)
- animated (for animated emoticons)

This is a pretty good guide. When tagging things start here, then you can add anything else you think people would think of to try and find that emoticon.

If you hit the 100 character limit, fall back on bigger things.

Appreciate all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
So I'm clear, we can just enter them as individual words like.... red sad animated face brick wall