Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Yeah. Whatever you think people will use to try and search for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

elf help book posted:

Two categories.

Good:
:cheerdoge:

the rest:

:cheerdoge:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
give me some smilies to type on

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Stuntman posted:

give me some smilies to type on

Pm'd Stuntman :homebrew: to :koos:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
corgski also has :lolplant: to :newlol:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
need some help with forums history/culture. what the heck do people use this one for :gary:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tag proposal: "classic" (or just "emoticon" would probably be better) for smilies that look like oldschool emoticons ( :) :( :imunfunny: :j: :keke: etc)
probably low prio compared to pick's list but just something i think would be cool

another tag proposal: "banner" for :honk: style emoticons

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cda posted:

need some help with forums history/culture. what the heck do people use this one for :gary:

It's from Star Citizen, where Gary Oldman plays one of the characters. It's ripped from his in-development model in kind of a facial T-pose. Relevant front page article: https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/oldman-star-citizen/

It can be used for all things Star Citizen, all things Gary Oldman, to indicate hype or desire for something (often implied to be misguided), or just as a reply to something that visually resembles that facial expression.

E: Oh, and another important keyword for this smiley is parp, which is an onomatopoeia for airhorn noises.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 16, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It'd be work to go through, but these threads may be helpful for context of some smilies.

Outing the in-jokes: a thread about smilies.
155 pages, but still an active thread and it'd be cool to ask questions in here about smilies you're not sure about. The best thread for info.

Smiley Station
3 pages, not much in here.

Smilie Ideas
17 pages. Mostly suggesting new smilies, but some got bought!

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 16, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stuntman posted:

tag proposal: "classic" (or just "emoticon" would probably be better) for smilies that look like oldschool emoticons ( :) :( :imunfunny: :j: :keke: etc)
probably low prio compared to pick's list but just something i think would be cool

seconded, especially for "banner"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gimme

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

It'd be work to go through, but these threads may be helpful for context of some smilies.

Outing the in-jokes: a thread about smilies.
155 pages, but still an active thread and it'd be cool to ask questions in here about smilies you're not sure about. The best thread for info.

Smiley Station
3 pages, not much in here.

Smilie Ideas
17 pages. Mostly suggesting new smilies, but some got bought!
if u got plat just search ":smileyhere:" threadid:3484928

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Paladinus posted:

It's from Star Citizen, where Gary Oldman plays one of the characters. It's ripped from his in-development model in kind of a facial T-pose. Relevant front page article: https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/oldman-star-citizen/

It can be used for all things Star Citizen, all things Gary Oldman, to indicate hype or desire for something (often implied to be misguided), or just as a reply to something that visually resembles that facial expression.

E: Oh, and another important keyword for this smiley is parp, which is an onomatopoeia for airhorn noises.

Cool, thank you.

When Fred Benenson decided to have each sentence of Moby Dick translated into emoji for Emoji Dick, he farmed each sentence out to three different mechanical turk people and then had other mechanical turk people vote on the best one out of each three. What I'm saying here is I bet these things would benefit from multiple eyeballs, because for instance there's no way that I would know anything about parp, but I know Deep Lore about BYOB smilies

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Could the smilies be uploaded to, say, a public google spreadsheet document? One row per smilie, one column per tag.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Stuntman posted:

if u got plat just search ":smileyhere:" threadid:3484928

theres only one post for :ftbrg: and it says "gently caress that butt real good," is that canon? its one of my favorite smilies so im curious

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I would like to know how there are two slightly different :brainworms: smileys under the same name.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gone Fashing posted:

theres only one post for :ftbrg: and it says "gently caress that butt real good," is that canon? its one of my favorite smilies so im curious

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2019

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Paladinus posted:

I would like to know how there are two slightly different :brainworms: smileys under the same name.

They both point toward different uploads with different descriptions.

I wonder how the server picks which one to use

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

test,.

:brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms: :brainworms:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

:cheerdoge: :thanks:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

So far the answer is only the 2nd upload.

:brainworms:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cda posted:

Cool, thank you.

When Fred Benenson decided to have each sentence of Moby Dick translated into emoji for Emoji Dick, he farmed each sentence out to three different mechanical turk people and then had other mechanical turk people vote on the best one out of each three. What I'm saying here is I bet these things would benefit from multiple eyeballs, because for instance there's no way that I would know anything about parp, but I know Deep Lore about BYOB smilies
maybe after people finish the tags they post their proposed list here? or maybe something more standardized but that seems "good enough" to me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stuntman posted:

We're probably going to see some classifications emerge as we go through these.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Yeah, feel free to post your lists you complete.

For double checking, and for others thoughts.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

They both point toward different uploads with different descriptions.

I wonder how the server picks which one to use

The last one in the database with the same smilie code.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:( —static, face, yellow, classic, sad, unhappy, sorrow, bad, bummer

:) —static, face, yellow, classic, happy, smile, pleased, smiley, good

:11tea: —animated, face, copper, teapot, tea, british, breakfast, ambivalent, steam

:30bux: —static, black, block, obelisk, blackout, dark, rectangle

:3: —animated, face, blue, classic, cute, cat, cutesy, happy, sweet, kitty, endearing

:a2m: —animated, face, yellow, sex, anal, gay, rear end to mouth, penis, poop, dick

:aaa: —animated, face, yellow, classic, surprise, shock, shocked, scream, open mouth, gall

:aaaaa: —animated, face, yellow, classic, surprise, shock, shocked, scream, open mouth, extreme, overwhelmed

:actually: —animated, banner, actually, pedantic, nerd, dork, beard, glasses, technical, technically correct

:agesilaus: —static, face, yellow, rome, greece, laurel, caesar, classics, smug

:airquote: —animated, face, yellow, classic, airquote, sarcastic, sarcasm, air quotes, quote, skeptical

:allbuttons: —animated, face, banner, woah, cat ears, buttons, sequence, psyduck, dog, stare

:allears: —animated, face, yellow, classic, gosh, cute, admire, admiration, oh you, sarcastic, flutter

:am: —static, face, green, alien

:angel: —animated, face, yellow, classic, angel, angelic, innocent, pure, sarcastic, religion, religious

:anime: —static, face, yellow, orb, realistic, 3d, anime, nose, shadow,

:anttony: —animated, face, yellow, banner, red ants, ra, redants, bugs, tony, eating, mouth, feeding, fyad

:argh: —animated, face, red, classic, rage, anger, wrath, angry, upset, fist, teeth

:arghfist: —animated, yellow, fist, rage, anger, hand, angry, upset, wrath

:awesomelon: —animated, face, gray, robot, cylon, android, metal, mouth, bsg, battlestar

:bahgawd: —animated, face, pink, football, announcer, hat, rural, dad, complain, drool

:bang: —animated, face, orange, classic, wall, smash, anger, angry, upset, frustrated, annoyed

:banjo: —animated, face, yellow, classic, banjo, music, rural, happy, goofy, silly

:batuka: —animated, face, yellow, banner, owned, button, victorious, dominant, orange, hand, sign

:biglips: —static, face, yellow, lipstick, mole, cute, sexy, silly, eyes

:bird:—static, green, lab, parrot, feathers, pet

:birdthunk: —static, green, lab, parrot, think, claws, beak, pet

:black101: —static, face, yellow, classic, metal, goth, axe, gwar, eyes, weapon, kill

:blastu: —animated, yellow, gun, weapon, firing, fire, guns, goofy, two

:blush: —animated, face, pink, classic, blushing, embarrassed, thank you, thanks, appreciate, appreciative, flush

:boobeer:—, animated, boob, beer, nipple, drink, drinking, alcohol, tit

:boom: —animated, taylor swift, dance, skirt, so there, blonde, gotcha, law

:bravo2: —animated, face, blue, classic, words, talk, blather, banjo, rant, rural, music

:burger: —animated, burger, hamburger, tasty, yum, food, delicious, cheese

:butt:—static, face, yellow, classic, rear end, buttcrack, buns, tush, rump, seat, poop

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Stuntman posted:

this is good, thanks, I was trying to think about a way to indicate that.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Pick now has :nexus: to :rolleyes:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inserting a █ into the middle of existing emoticons i use in the tags
:homebrew:
yellow face emoticon make it rain throw animated rich cash money dollars $ $$$ classic
:honk:
black white animated untitled goose geese game banner jerk rear end in a top hat chaos destruction
:horse:
transparent animated horse horses gallop galloping scroll classic
:hotpickle:
negative man static earthbound yellow sad kneeling uk D&D ukpol monster munch politics snack
:hr:
white banner static face haibane renmei anime adtrw manga angel
:huh:
yellow emoticon animated face hump gently caress sex nsfw not safe for work classic
:hydrogen:
yellow emoticon classic animated atom molecule science orbit hydrogen
:imunfunny:
yellow face static emoticon classic :█D awesome face meme 4chan byob i am unfunny (note: these last ones are very questionable, i think they're useful to keep due to the smiley being named that for the longest time and older forums users remembering that primarily) iamafag i am a fag
:ins:
green text animated terminal yospos computer insert retro blinking
:j:
yellow emoticon classic static face female girl woman goonette :V duck smile v edit
:jecht:
yellow emoticon classic static face smug edit final fantasy ffx game LP lets play (another questionable slur tag, i dont know the history of this smiley so idk how worth it it would be but it used to be :human being:) human being
:jerkbag:
yellow emoticon classic animated face jerkoff jerk off jackoff jack
:jerky:
yellow face animated emoticon beef louisgod edit moderator mock fatty vanity
:jewish:
yellow face emoticon static classic torah jew shtreimel hassidic haredi
:jihad:
(this smiley itself seems racist to me so i'm just going to do the tags as i imagine the smiley creator would have done them, it mmmmight be worth removing completely???) yellow face emoticon static classic gun terrorist terrorism muslim islam D&D politics
:keke:
yellow face emoticon static classic ^_^ happy :█) korean adtrw anime
:kiddo:
orange yellow face emoticon classic static smile happy (im too autistic to properly determine the emotion here and can't find anything on the origins) content proud hopeful
:kimchi:
red emoticon classic face static :3 cat face korean warm food gws
:kingsley:
(i can't find poo poo about the specific origins of this one so i just tagged what i saw) white yellow emoticon classic edit animated on fire skull panic flail
:koos: ()
yellow emoticon classic static face koos group(MAYBE??? or some anime/videogame character but i cant find info) evil laughing old

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 16, 2020

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Definitely add "vanity" to any smilies referring to individual users.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's mine, I can take more at your convenience:

:butts: animated, banner, butts, wings, angel, flying

:c00lbutt: animated, face, coolbutt, yellow, sunglasses, crossedarms, star

:captainpop: animated, face, eye pop, man, white hat

:carol: animated, face, anime, manga, white, red, blue, siren, olston, tomo-chan

:catholic: static, face, emoticon, yellow, pope, priest, smile, hat, 101

:cawg: animated, face, emoticon, yellow, cackling aloud with gusto, pointing up, laughing, teeth

:cb: animated, emoticon, clownballoon, rising, ban

:cenobite: static, face, emoticon, yellow, hellraiser, demon, pain

:chanpop: animated, face, eye pop, carol channing, old woman, white hair

:chaostrump: animated, face, gems, diamonds, emeralds halo, rainbow, colors, sonic, politics, political

:cheeky: static, face, emoticon, yellow, sticking out tongue, sassy

:cheerdoge: static, doge, beer, shiba inu, alcohol, glass, mug, cheers, drinking, here’s to us, all the best

:cheers: static, face, yellow, beer, alcohol, glass, mug, cheers, drinking, here’s to us, all the best

:cheersbird: static, green, beer, alcohol, glass, mug, cheers, drinking, here’s to us, all the best

:chef: static, face, yellow, knife, cook, white hat, toque, 101

:choco: animated, hurry, choochacacko, white, ghost, whale, bubble bobble, von blubba, coder, vanity

:circlefap: animated, face, yellow, fap, spin, jerkoff, jacking, jackoff, masturbating

:ck5: animated ,five, 5, louis ck, c.k,. comedian, comic, fap, jerkoff, jacking, jackoff, masturbating

:classiclol: static, face, emoticon, yellow, red, mouth, laughing

:clint: animated, face, emoticon, yellow, cigar, smoking, puff, hat, eastwood, texas, cowboy

:coal: static, black, pointed, pointy, nose, typo, sunglasses, cool

:coffee: static, white, mug, cup, java, joe, cuppa, wake up

:colbert: static, face, emoticon, yellow, cross, crossedarms, crossarms

:comeback: animated, face, yellow, red, angry, sad, happy, laugh, mood, swing, shift, retort

:commissar: animated, face, yellow, red hat, execute, execution, gun, blood, splatter, warhammer 40000, wh40k

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 16, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:nexus: — static, brown, poop, emoji, poo poo, crap, dung

:niggly: — animated, face, yellow, classic, rotate, round, coconut, spin, spinning

:ninja: — animated, face, yellow, classic, ninja, anime, secret, secretive, furtive, japan

:nono: — animated, face, yellow, classic, no, wrong, bad, nuh uh, no way, figner wag

:nsa: — static, yellow, usa, secret service, cia, technology, tech, snowden,

:nyd: — animated, face, orange, classic, nuh uh, no you don't, no way, don't go there, earrings, back up, nope

:o: — static, face, yellow, classic, o face, sex, sexy, orgasm, nut, relax, oh

:ocelot: — animated, red, ocelot, msg, revolver, hands, zing, snake, metal gear solid

:ohdear: — static, face, yellow, classic, oh no, buck teeth, gosh, golly, horror, gasp, shock

:ohdearsass: — static, face, yellow, classic, santa, holiday, hat, golly, gosh, oh no, buck teeth

:one: — animated, green, one, 1, bad, crap, thread, rating, cursor, flashing, flash

:ovr: — animated, green, entry, data, dos, enter, command, line, flash

:palmon: — static, green, digimon, anime, japanimation, monster, plant, flower, blossom

:pedo: — animated, face, yellow, reddit, pedophile, tvtropes, teddy bear, child, crime, gross

:perjury: — animated, face, yellow, classic, perjury, crime, poop, roll in poo poo, v, mouth, cohen, court

:pervert: — animated, face, yellow, classic, eyebrow, dance, sex, unibrow, creep, creepy, weirdo

:phone: — animated, face, yellow, classic, telephone, ringer, dial, talk, talking, conversation, chat

:phoneb: — animated, face, blue, classic, telephone, ringer, dial, talk, talking, conversation, chat

:phoneline: — static, black, classic, underscore, line, telephone, horizon, break, spacer, space

:pipe: — static, brown, pipe, tobacco, art, smoke, smoking, culture, cancer

:pirate: — animated, face, yellow, classic, popeye, monocle, beard, hat, pirate, wow, amazed

:piss: — static, green, banner, holy poo poo piss, car, urine, fire, wheels, chassis, analogy, vehicle

:pray: — animated, face, yellow, classic, prayer, religion, religious, hope, want, desire, saint

:prepop: — static, face, pink, classic, shock, surprise, wow, watch, watching, eyes, eyepop

:pseudo: — static, face, yellow, classic, pseudoscience, ignorance, idea, stupid, teacher, hat, classroom

:pusheen: — animated, gray, cat, wrestling, vince, mcmahon, wow, amazed, fall

:q: — static, face, yellow, classic, weird, creepy, goon, goony, gross, teeth, smile

:question: — animated, yellow, mario, game, videogame, ?, question mark, box, points

:rackem: — animated, banner, pool, snooker, woman, lady, lass, gall, pretty

:raise: — animated, face, yellow, classic, eyebrow, skepticism, skeptic, brow, what, unconvinced, unsure

:rant: — animated, face, yellow, classic, ranting, crazy, mad, frustrated, annoyed, steam, whew

:razzy: — static, face, yellow, classic, mouth, happy, smug, confident, tongue, hah,

:redass: — animated, face, yellow, classic, spank, naughty, wicked, butt, rear end, bdsm, sex

:redhammer: — static, red, hammer, mallet, ban, banning, banned, hammered, crimson

:regd13: — static, orange, regdate, 2013, small bart, forbidden,

:regd16: — animated, yellow, banner, regdate, 2016, gbs, confused, spinning,

:regd20: — animated, banner, regdate, 2020, d&d, dice, die, newbie, virus, coronavirus

:reject: — static, face, yellow, classic, goon, goony, fat, gross, weird, grumpy, grump

:respek: — animated, yellow, classic, fistbump, cool, friends, allies, together, word, happy

:rimshot: — animated, face, yellow, classic, joke, badum, tsch, tschh, drums, drummer, funny

:robble: — animated, banner, robble robble, hamburglar, mcdonalds, burger, robbery, crime, stealing, theft

:roboluv: — animated, face, yellow, classic, robot, android, sex, kissing, love, machine, daforge

:rock: — animated, face, blue, classic, rocking, music, rock and roll, groupie, concert, affirmative, let's go

:roflolmao: — animated, face, yellow, classic, laughing, rolling, laugh, roll, omg, lol, lmao

:rolleye: — static, face, yellow, classic, cyclops, smile, skeptic, skeptical, yeah right,

:rolleyes: — static, face, yellow, classic, roll eyes, olling, skeptic, skeptical, contempt, stupid, logic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is awesome, and the exact thing I've been hoping for since we got the limited search added. Hoping to help out sometime soon too if more folks are needed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Midjack posted:

:chaostrump: animated, face, gems, diamonds, emeralds halo, rainbow, colors, sonic
Maybe also add politics for political-adjacent smileys?

Midjack posted:

:chef: static, face, yellow, knife, cook, white hat, toque
101 should be added for smileys like that. Both :chef: and :catholic: don't come up on search for 101 right now. E: :byoscience: is another one.

Midjack posted:

:coal: static, black, pointed, pointy, nose, typo, sunglasses
Definitely should also have cool.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 16, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'll do one. Exactly one. Boy howdy will it get tagged.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Maybe also add politics for political-adjacent smileys?

101 should be added for smileys like that. Both :chef: and :catholic: don't come up on search for 101 right now. E: :byoscience: is another one.

Definitely should also have cool.

These suggestions all make sense and I edited them in.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athanatos posted:

However you all think it will work best.

If you want to crowd source poo poo in a thread, if you want to each be sent some, let me know how I can make it easy to get done.

If you help, I can give avatars, gangtags, account upgrades, whatever as a thank you.

if you need help still I can do some.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Here's the ones I sent off to Athanatos already, if there are any additions feel free to let me know. I have a second batch I'll work on tomorrow

:gizz: jizzing penis dick cumming animated

:glomp: hug tackle glomp weeb animated

:goku: orange goku pants webcomic spoonful of bromide animated

:goleft: yellow square block face cyoa static

:golfclap: yellow animated golf slow clap face

:gonk: yellow gonk face ohgod nope horror static

:goshawk: bird drugs flashing animated lsd

:greatgift: blue gift present wrapped box static

:greenangel: green grinning angel animated face wings

:greencube: green grinning cube block face robot static

:grin: smug condescending grin flirty ay baby dreamworks yellow face

:guillotine: guillotine kill execution acab french revolution yellow face animated

:guinness: drink beer soda cola yellow face animated

:gurf: white cat face byob vanity garfield static

:haw: haw excited goofy grin face static

:hawaaaafap: goofy excited fap jack off masturbate face animated

:hb: grey green skull animated

:hchatter: computer face animated wine drinking chatting

:hehe: cool face yellow static

:henget: green grin chicken net catching animated

:heysexy: yellow unibrow pua hit on face animated

:hf: high five hand part animated

:hfive: high five yellow face animated

:hist101: roman soldier centurion history 101 yellow face static

:holy: dancing yellow singing jabbering face animated

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 16, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

corgski posted:

:goku: orange goku pants animated

This one is from an ill-fated attempt of the user Spoonful of Bromide to promote their awful webcomic and hire an artist for it. Don't remember the author of the original Goku pants post, unfortunately, but they submitted that crudely drawn picture as an application for the artist job, essentially, which caused OP to melt down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

corgski posted:

:grin: smug condescending grin yellow face

Also known as "ay" like "ay baby, what's up," indicating flirty feelings

corgski posted:

:gurf: white cat face static

This is a vanity emote for a BYOB (original, not 8.2) poster who used to draw a parody of Garfield called Gurf. I think I was the only person in the entire world who was ever amused by it in any way. Weirdly enough the poster Gurf who spams GBS with his unfunny comedy videos claims not to be that guy.