Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

There is now a search function; I think it would be helpful if people went through and tagged all the smilies with logical tags. So that one might have the tags: face, Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol, etc.

I really think this would be a great Goon Project.

e: I probably should have read the rtest of the thread first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I would like to try this too

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
So I'm clear, we can just enter them as individual words like.... red sad animated face brick wall

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
need some help with forums history/culture. what the heck do people use this one for :gary:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Paladinus posted:

It's from Star Citizen, where Gary Oldman plays one of the characters. It's ripped from his in-development model in kind of a facial T-pose. Relevant front page article: https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/oldman-star-citizen/

It can be used for all things Star Citizen, all things Gary Oldman, to indicate hype or desire for something (often implied to be misguided), or just as a reply to something that visually resembles that facial expression.

E: Oh, and another important keyword for this smiley is parp, which is an onomatopoeia for airhorn noises.

Cool, thank you.

When Fred Benenson decided to have each sentence of Moby Dick translated into emoji for Emoji Dick, he farmed each sentence out to three different mechanical turk people and then had other mechanical turk people vote on the best one out of each three. What I'm saying here is I bet these things would benefit from multiple eyeballs, because for instance there's no way that I would know anything about parp, but I know Deep Lore about BYOB smilies

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Stuntman posted:

tag proposal: "classic" (or just "emoticon" would probably be better) for smilies that look like oldschool emoticons ( :) :( :imunfunny: :j: :keke: etc)

this is good, thanks, I was trying to think about a way to indicate that.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

corgski posted:

:grin: smug condescending grin yellow face

Also known as "ay" like "ay baby, what's up," indicating flirty feelings

corgski posted:

:gurf: white cat face static

This is a vanity emote for a BYOB (original, not 8.2) poster who used to draw a parody of Garfield called Gurf. I think I was the only person in the entire world who was ever amused by it in any way. Weirdly enough the poster Gurf who spams GBS with his unfunny comedy videos claims not to be that guy.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
:eek: - Scared surprised shocked shock surprise fear static classic

:emo: - Suicide razor blood wrist cutting glasses animated classic

:eng101: - Teacher smiling hat mortarboard static classic

:eng99: - Teacher sad hat mortarboard static classic

:engleft: - Teacher square straight hat mortarboard static (aside, why is this one called "engleft"?)

:eyepop: - Pink red eyes pop surprise wow animated

:f5: - Button press sweat refresh nervous animated classic

:f5h: - Hand button press refresh animated

:fap: - masturbate smile pervert jerk off jackoff sex animated classic

:fedora: - Grenade black static SA goon

:fh: - Hand fap masturbate jerk off jackoff sex animated

:flame: - flamethrower flaming burned burning burn two animated

:fork: - Fork silverware utensil object static

:frogdunce: - Frog get out dunce cap green static

:gary: - Head lips star citzen oldman hype want parp animated

:gay: - Gay blue pink wrist limp sad happy pride animated

:geno: - White blank face emotionless static classic

:gerty: - Cute face wiggly happy yellow static classic

:ghost: - White analogy spooky spoopy goofy floating animated

:gibs: - Gore blood face cut dead death static

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

astral posted:

Might be worth changing 'sad' in eng99 to ':eng101: but sad' and/or ':eng101: derivative'

Similarly for the square: ':eng101: but square' and/or ':eng101: derivative'

yeah I think some sort of derivative thing would be great not just for these guys but also for, like, all the different hengets and mr greenwater derivatives and so forth.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jiru posted:

:d2a: - static, black, woman, arab, demonstration, complaining, spring

The sign this lady is holding says, I believe, "Death To America" (hence d2a), so death and America should probably be in there too

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Seeing the different ways people have tagged these is really interesting. Some of the choices are ingenious.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
good, much better, could be even better, like :heysexy: and :grin: are both flirty, but only :grin: is tagged that way. so, perfect goon project. thanks for doing these athanatos. we should probably have a vanity smiley for you and its just a guy working really hard haha

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
hey people, who would you rather go out with. this guy

:grin:

or this guy

:heysexy:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jiru posted:

:chillout: - animated, blue, face, text, calm down, relax, stop, text

this the BYOB guy so "byob" should definitely be one of the terms

Jiru posted:

:vd: - animated, violet, purple, pink, dragon, death, die, murdered, text

violetdragon was an OG BYOB poster, so this is a vanity emote, and it is one of my favorites. I hope one day she will come back. "vanity" and "byob" should probably be tags for it.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
i just usedd the search term "money" to find :homebrew: which is awesome because i have no idea how homebrew = money. For the first time ever I was able to think something like "I want the smiley where the guy is throwing the money" and then was able to find it. QCS success.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jiru posted:

:smoobles: - static, monster, green, vanity, avatar, BYOB

should definitely include "smoobled" and "again"

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Midjack posted:

:wedass: static, white, the wednesday rear end, my dudes, frog, vine, meme, weedass

:weedass: static, duck, hat, drugs, marijuana, reefer NOTE: needs background

:wms: animated, scrolling, marquee, banner, look at me, windmillslayer, fyad, vanity

Weed rear end is a BYOB thing. There were hats made that said Weed rear end on them. I have one. The duck is wearing the hat.

Wedass is a mix of that plus the Wednesday frog, so also BYOB.

And I don't know how wms got the fyad tag there. Did wms post very much in fyad? That smiley was definitely made when they posted in byob.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Midjack posted:

The forum name is right there in the text and there are a number of other thread and forum vanity smilies.

My understanding of the definition of a vanity smilie is that it was uploaded by or about a particular user. For instance :wms: was uploaded by someone so that Windmillslayer would have an emote :rory: was uploaded when Rory died, :duckie: was uploaded because Fluffieduckie rules, :vd: was uploaded because Violetdragon could put people on blast etc. iirc :sidvicious: uploaded his himself but maybe I'm remembering wrong. :wms: :duckie: :vd: and maybe :sidvicious: are also byob smilies because they were uploaded when those posters were very active in byob, same thing with :rory: being fyad.

cda fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 25, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Oh shoot, did we need to PM you back or was it enough to post the lists here?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Hammerite posted:

ace, I made this a while ago, can you add it?

lol I like it

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jiru posted:

Pending list done. Can take the last batch if nobody else has.

I am impressed that you accurately tagged :swish: as BYOB since it gives no outward indication.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

:nomates: — animated, vanity, captain nomates, dance, beard

BYOB for this one. Not really a surprise but BYOB posters ended up with a lot of vanity smilies.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Gone Fashing posted:

man...rip captain nomates

A great poster. He was doing real good last time I heard. And we'll always have :nomates:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Jiru posted:

Sooo we are done here people!

:burgerpug: - static, animal, black, dog, food, mouth, meme, photo, GBS
:buttfame: - animated, banner, rear end, text, butt famous, GBS, IRC, chat
:byoscience: - animated, yellow, face, science, wrong, fail, electrocuted, thunder, no, mistake, eng 101, BYOB
:c2b: - animated, cloud, white, rear end, butt, cloud to butt, happy, BYOB
:capitalism: - animated, banner, black, scrooge mcduck, money, exploitation, unfair, unjust, that’s, text
:caro: - animated, banner, face, soldier, some things just aren’t worth dying for, goon saga, syria, sniper
:catte: - static, black, animal, face, silly, tongue, YOSPOS
:centrism: - animated, banner, black, face, politics, hitler, centrist, D&D, C-SPAM, CSPAM, text
:chast2b: - animated, banner, face, horny is prohibited, videogames, AGDQ, nier automata
:chickbutt: - animated, yellow, animal, duck, chicken, vibrating, aliexpress
:chloe: - static, face, disgusted, disgusting, eww, what, no, disappointed, wrong
:chome: - animated, red, blue, dancing, person, man, chrome, navigator, YOSPOS
:chud: - animated, face, red, hat, cap, masturbating, jacking, jerking, off, praying, adorating, MAGA
:cloud: - static, face, simpsons, meme, old man yells at cloud
:co: - animated, flag, colorado, state, USA, pot, marihuana, leaf, crying (go reverse google search!)
:cocaine: - animated, classic, face, rolling, white, dust, drugs, covered
:comfyoot: - static, orange, face, tooting, happy, comfortable, music, videogames, AGDQ, awesome games done quick (can do with the character or game name)
:comfysamus: - static, face, aran, videogames, comfortable, coffee, cup, happy, relaxed, good, great
:comfyzelda: - static, person, sleeping, pink, blanket, comfortable, asleep, relaxed, good, great
:commcbg: - static, person, orange, kneeled, naked, moonkin, videogames, world of warcraft (note that, as per the search, this has been used a total of ten times, five of which are asking “what the hell is this?” and the other five use it without context)

:toot:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

i was like "did i get it wrong?" but i forgot that by quoting the previous post i'd already run into the smiley limit, so here it is in all its celebratory glory

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

exactly

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I have never noticed this but it actually says holky, but I agree that holy is probably a good add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

FluffieDuckie posted:

thank you everyone who helped. i was just able to find a smilie i've been looking for for weeks.

You can't leave us hanging. Which one was it?