Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
give me some smilies to type on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tag proposal: "classic" (or just "emoticon" would probably be better) for smilies that look like oldschool emoticons ( :) :( :imunfunny: :j: :keke: etc)
probably low prio compared to pick's list but just something i think would be cool

another tag proposal: "banner" for :honk: style emoticons

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

It'd be work to go through, but these threads may be helpful for context of some smilies.

Outing the in-jokes: a thread about smilies.
155 pages, but still an active thread and it'd be cool to ask questions in here about smilies you're not sure about. The best thread for info.

Smiley Station
3 pages, not much in here.

Smilie Ideas
17 pages. Mostly suggesting new smilies, but some got bought!
if u got plat just search ":smileyhere:" threadid:3484928

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cda posted:

Cool, thank you.

When Fred Benenson decided to have each sentence of Moby Dick translated into emoji for Emoji Dick, he farmed each sentence out to three different mechanical turk people and then had other mechanical turk people vote on the best one out of each three. What I'm saying here is I bet these things would benefit from multiple eyeballs, because for instance there's no way that I would know anything about parp, but I know Deep Lore about BYOB smilies
maybe after people finish the tags they post their proposed list here? or maybe something more standardized but that seems "good enough" to me

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inserting a █ into the middle of existing emoticons i use in the tags
:homebrew:
yellow face emoticon make it rain throw animated rich cash money dollars $ $$$ classic
:honk:
black white animated untitled goose geese game banner jerk rear end in a top hat chaos destruction
:horse:
transparent animated horse horses gallop galloping scroll classic
:hotpickle:
negative man static earthbound yellow sad kneeling uk D&D ukpol monster munch politics snack
:hr:
white banner static face haibane renmei anime adtrw manga angel
:huh:
yellow emoticon animated face hump gently caress sex nsfw not safe for work classic
:hydrogen:
yellow emoticon classic animated atom molecule science orbit hydrogen
:imunfunny:
yellow face static emoticon classic :█D awesome face meme 4chan byob i am unfunny (note: these last ones are very questionable, i think they're useful to keep due to the smiley being named that for the longest time and older forums users remembering that primarily) iamafag i am a fag
:ins:
green text animated terminal yospos computer insert retro blinking
:j:
yellow emoticon classic static face female girl woman goonette :V duck smile v edit
:jecht:
yellow emoticon classic static face smug edit final fantasy ffx game LP lets play (another questionable slur tag, i dont know the history of this smiley so idk how worth it it would be but it used to be :human being:) human being
:jerkbag:
yellow emoticon classic animated face jerkoff jerk off jackoff jack
:jerky:
yellow face animated emoticon beef louisgod edit moderator mock fatty vanity
:jewish:
yellow face emoticon static classic torah jew shtreimel hassidic haredi
:jihad:
(this smiley itself seems racist to me so i'm just going to do the tags as i imagine the smiley creator would have done them, it mmmmight be worth removing completely???) yellow face emoticon static classic gun terrorist terrorism muslim islam D&D politics
:keke:
yellow face emoticon static classic ^_^ happy :█) korean adtrw anime
:kiddo:
orange yellow face emoticon classic static smile happy (im too autistic to properly determine the emotion here and can't find anything on the origins) content proud hopeful
:kimchi:
red emoticon classic face static :3 cat face korean warm food gws
:kingsley:
(i can't find poo poo about the specific origins of this one so i just tagged what i saw) white yellow emoticon classic edit animated on fire skull panic flail
:koos: ()
yellow emoticon classic static face koos group(MAYBE??? or some anime/videogame character but i cant find info) evil laughing old

Stunt_enby fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 16, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

aren't there booru style community tagging systems that could just be ripped off for this sort of thing
this is a much better idea actually lol

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cda posted:

i just usedd the search term "money" to find :homebrew: which is awesome because i have no idea how homebrew = money. For the first time ever I was able to think something like "I want the smiley where the guy is throwing the money" and then was able to find it. QCS success.
that's my tag :D
also put me down for another batch, coach

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is pedantic as gently caress but i don't think commas are necessary and take up valuable room you can be using to insert snipes at your Forums Enemies once you run out of tag ideas before hitting the limit (or for more actual tags I GUESS)

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Athanatos posted:

I have compiled the entire list. There may be a way to do them all at the same time and save myself 10 hours of data entry.

If it doesn't work out, I'll do them by hand. I will make sure this gets done.

Also:

This gangtag has been uploaded and if you helped and want it, I can add it no problem.
i want the tag (if possible replacing the text in my avatar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

can anyone explain the origins of :bagl: ???
A bagel (Yiddish: בײגל‎ beygl; Polish: bajgiel), also historically spelled beigel, is a bread product originating in the Jewish communities of Poland. It is traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, that is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked. The result is a dense, chewy, doughy interior with a browned and sometimes crisp exterior. Bagels are often topped with seeds baked on the outer crust, with the traditional ones being poppy and sesame seeds. Some may have salt sprinkled on their surface, and there are different dough types, such as whole-grain and rye. Bagels are eaten toasted or untoasted.