Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smilie tagging would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

dog holding beer dog doge cheer cheers Beer, drink, drinking, glass, alcohol

To save you some work: if it has 'doge' in the text a search for 'dog' will find it too. Same for cheers/cheer and drinking/drink. 'dog holding beer' is fine to stay in there in case someone wants to type the phrase out.

e: and iirc 'dog holding beer' was the original hover text which should typically stay anyway

astral fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 15, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

One way to organize it might be a new "Help tag all the smilies!" thread with a list of the smilies in the order Athanatos sees them in the OP, then people could reply with suggested tags which could be edited into said OP before eventually being applied to the actual smilies list in an organized fashion.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gone Fashing posted:

theres only one post for :ftbrg: and it says "gently caress that butt real good," is that canon? its one of my favorite smilies so im curious

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

They both point toward different uploads with different descriptions.

I wonder how the server picks which one to use

The last one in the database with the same smilie code.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

What happened to :kyoon:

The SAclopedia article has a lot of :sax:; could that be what you're thinking of?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cda posted:

:eng101: - Teacher smiling hat mortarboard static classic

:eng99: - Teacher sad hat mortarboard static classic

:engleft: - Teacher square straight hat mortarboard static (aside, why is this one called "engleft"?)

Might be worth changing 'sad' in eng99 to ':eng101: but sad' and/or ':eng101: derivative'

Similarly for the square: ':eng101: but square' and/or ':eng101: derivative'

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jiru posted:

I also want to mention I am avoiding repeating any text already in the smilie code (I am not checking all the descriptions though), since I think those are searchable by default? So, for example, :10bux: may be tagged "ten" and "bucks" but not 10, since there's no need to repeat. Is that OK?

For that one I'd probably suggest 'ten bucks, 10 bucks, ten bux, 10 bux, ten dollars, 10 dollars, ten dollar bill, 10 dollar bill' just because people might be likely to type out a whole phrase rather than just stop at '10' or 'ten'. It doesn't search each word in the search box individually.

edit: See later post(s).

astral fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snowy posted:

Well poo poo that sucks :)

I mean, it could be adjusted to do so.

Typing them all out like I did looks bad in hover text but should work out well if/when smilies get set up with a proper tagging system eventually.

edit: See later post(s).

astral fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 16, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jiru posted:

Ouch :doh:. That kinda complicates things, if we are supposed to keep it under 100 characters (and also add individual, standarized terms like "green", "money", "banknote" and variations thereof), because that string is already at 94 with spaces. Can't really think of a solution here, short of adding a big flashing note for the search box saying to use individual terms, or something like that.

Also, it is the same poo poo with someone that remembers, IDK, that :cthulhu: is "green creature" or "green monster" or "tentacle monster" or "monster with glasses"; with the tagging "animated, green, lovecraft, tentacles, creature, monster, terror, cool, tinted, glasses" it won't come up, and accounting for each variation seems a bit... unwieldy?

You've convinced me that searching each word individually would work better with what we have.

e: Keep going how you've been doing it (not writing out each thing a billion ways) and I'll send Jeffrey some adjustments to the smilie search code.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 16, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

You've convinced me that searching each word individually would work better with what we have.

e: Keep going how you've been doing it (not writing out each thing a billion ways) and I'll send Jeffrey some adjustments to the smilie search code.

I did this and also made the click-to-copy thing work again. Jeffrey just pushed it live. :toot:

Now you can search e.g. 'yellow animated' or 'animated yellow' and it will give you plenty of results.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

For captainpop and chanpop, I'd recommend changing 'eye pop' to 'eyepop' (or just adding 'eyepop' to the tags) - the new search approach will find 'eyepop' whether the user types 'eye pop' or 'eyepop'.

You're a true hero for doing all these, Athanatos.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snowy posted:

I had to do a little research and won't be offended if someone can point out where I have been completely ignorant and/or oblivious

:pcgaming1: - frog, get, out, in, animated, green, purple, flashing, eyes, mouth, tongue, flashing, files, filez, eating, character, games, videogames, gaming

:pcgaming: - frog, get, out, animated,  purple, flashing, eyes, seizure, games, computer, character, videogames, gaming, games

Couple notes for these two: 'gaming' is in the smilie text so you don't necessarily need to add a 'gaming' tag; also, if someone searches 'games' it will find the 'games' in 'videogames' so it does not need an extra 'games' tag.

Thank you and everyone else for working on this project!

e: you also have 'flashing' in there twice for the first quoted one

astral fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 18, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jiru posted:

:itjb: - static, brown, juggernaut, bitch, x-men, movie, comic, helmet, half, basketball

For this one I'd recommend having the full phrase (or at least putting "I'm" and "the" in there somewhere)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, 'vanity' tag should probably be when it's about a person. If it's about a forum, maybe it could have a 'subforum' tag instead but that's probably unnecessary if it has the forum acronym already e.g. 'byob' or 'fyad'.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jiru posted:

Yeah, same for me. If it was bought for/by someone with the intention of representing a poster, I'd use "vanity", regardless of who bought it. Doubly so if it's some inside joke, but for icons that will see some use outside of that (for example the rainbow bridge) it may also be useful to tag them just in case all someone knows about a smilie is "it was bought for X".

What I am not so sure of is of we should also include the posters' names on the tags. I personally would like to do so, but it takes up space and I wonder how ofter are those search terms used. And of course, sometimes you don't know the poster's name. What are your positions on that?

If the poster's name is different from the smilie name, and they don't object to it, it might make sense to have them in the tags if there's room.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Speaking as someone who has looked for several smilies in the past with only a vague idea of what they might be named: thank you again, everyone who worked on tagging them (and Athanatos for being willing to manually edit each one)!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

"emoticonned" would get people asking questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Hi, hello, yes, I have personal and emotional investment in this smiley. Would a search for "run" catch the preexisting "run!" tag?

Yes; keep the !

quote:

Also, is there a way to add Seahawks as a tag? Thank you for your time, god bless.

Hammerite posted:

It's already at 99 characters and the limit is 100, so another term or two would have to be deleted. Tell me how you think it should be changed and i'll edit the post.

Just dropping 'national' and 'league' to add 'seahawks' should be good.