Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So there's around 1000 smilies on the smilies page, all named haphazardly by the people or mods who created them. They're nominally organized into categories and alphabetized, but those categories are few, vague and arbitrary, and the alphabetization doesn't help when something like this :rubshands: is named "rubshands" or this :regd08: is named "regd08" and you're trying to find it. There's a search function, but again, the arbitrary names make it kinda moot. Looking for a specific smiley you don't remember the name of is a huge pain in the neck.

Now I don't think renaming the smileys to fit some kind of uniform naming convention is feasible, since people have been used to the names of some of these for over a decade, and it'd just create more confusion. But what could easily be done is much more aggressive categorization, eg putting all the :smugdog:/:frogout:/:smith: derivatives into the same category, putting all the smileys featuring disconnected hand gestures :hf: :respek: :arghfist: into the same category, etc. There's lots of ways one could organize them, all of them better than giant categories featuring over 100 smileys each.

I realize this is probably a pretty low priority thing to fix, especially during these tumultuous forums times, but it also seems like it wouldn't take that much work to do. Hell, I could probably do it in an afternoon, and I'm an idiot.

Thanks for reading my post, vote 5 :five: and reply :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

FWIW, the search function searches through the image alt text too. So searching for "into the ground" will pull up :regd08:

It's true that does help a little, but it's still not ideal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wow guys, you really did it. I've been offline for 2 weeks and I come back to find that my little spark of a thread led to this wonderful amount of work to improve these forums. Good job, goons!

Although one slight note:

Snowy posted:

:yeah: static white yes agreed yup ok roger uh-huh okey dokey

The :yeah: icon is from the now defunct nintendo wii social media, the miiverse, so adding "miiverse" "wii" "nintendo" or "videogames" might be appropriate.