Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lots of people got murdered between 1939-1945, how about that?

WW2 was like 104 different small wars. Like Australians killed Syrians, and that was weird. People traveled for weeks on boats, just to kill other people.

The best flying boat was the Kawanishi H8K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You mean the war of German aggression?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
. Takasu’s Aleutians Screening Force, centered on BatDiv 2, was perhaps a more appropriate target for this criticism. With the four oldest battleships in the Japanese inventory “covering” the two misfit carriers of Dai-ni Kidō Butai, Takasu’s force could not by itself provide a credible threat to any American carrier task force that somehow ranged into northern waters. Nor, with a top speed of around twenty-four knots, could it run away quickly enough to save itself should the wolf show up at its own doorstep. Had he encountered American carriers, Takasu would have suffered the same fate as the Pearl Harbor battleships, the only difference being the greater depth and lower ambient temperature of their respective watery graves

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

"Night Witches" (German: die Nachthexen; Russian: Ночные ведьмы, Nochnye Vedmy) was a World War II German nickname for the all female military aviators of the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, known later as the 46th "Taman" Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment, of the Soviet Air Forces. Though women were initially barred from combat, Major Marina Raskova used her position and personal contacts with the Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars, Joseph Stalin, to obtain permission to form female combat units. On October 8, 1941, an order was issued to deploy three women's air-force units, including the 588th Regiment. The regiment, formed by Major Marina Raskova and led by Major Yevdokiya Bershanskaya, comprised primarily female volunteers in their late teens and early twenties

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hell yes, I love war. Have you seen tanks? They're freaking awesome, OP.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Kaiten (回天, literal translation: "Turn the Heaven", commonly rendered as "turn of the Heaven's will", "the heaven shaker"[1]) were manned torpedoes and suicide craft, used by the Imperial Japanese Navy in the final stages of World War II.

Only the Type 1, a one-man model with a 1,550 kg (3,420 lb) warhead, was used operationally. Over 300 were built, more than 100 of which were sent on suicide missions.

The abandonment of the Types 2, 4 and their intermediaries, development of higher capacity batteries, abundance of Type 92 torpedoes and the ever-increasing urgency to be able to defend the Japanese mainland led to a change of methodology for the Kaiten design teams. The Type 10 was the result. It was essentially a Type 92 electric torpedo with a pilot chamber in-between the warhead and drive unit.

Shinji get in the Kaiten, we got some pedaling to do!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

my paw paw was an engineer on the uss ingersol. he got a medal for fixing the big guns on the ship in the middle of a battle. i think about him often and wish i too was able to shoot naval cannons at nazis. rip

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Will nobody stop these Antifa supersoldiers

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
*every GBS WWII thread*

<makes post on how Germany could have won the war>
<makes post about how Germany could never have won the war>
<makes post on how Germany would have still lost had the US not entered>
<makes post on how Russia alone could have defeated Germany>
<makes post about how WWII speculation is stupid>
<makes post on how the atomic bomb was necessary/unnecessary>
<17 page derail and slapfight that gets waaaay too personal>
<9 goons get 3 day probations>

Let's break the cycle guys.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My favorite call of duty game is the one where you fight in and win world war 2

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Germans are actually nice people. Happy they got their country together again.

No one to fight right now unless it is amongst ourselves.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was in WWII it wasn't a big deal actually

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah Germans loving suck

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

fun WW2 fact: the "D" in D-Day stands for "Dead Nazis"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's kinda crazy that us first adopted nazi scientists and then their entire political philosophy

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That why adoption standards have gotten a lot tighter since those days.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
WW2 stayed away from Switzerland, Sweden and Swaziland because they had no quarrel with the swastika

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
If the Normandy invasion failed, do you think the Russians would have stopped at Berlin? Would they have tried to liberate France?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah the Europe would be glorious and red all the way to the Atlantic ocean.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Wow cool thread about some boring little blip in history that didn’t have any effect or ramifications on the modern world OP! What’s next a thread on the freakin wheel?!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's kinda crazy that us first adopted nazi scientists and then their entire political philosophy

Hail Hydra

Edit: WWII is cool to learn about : fighting against literal evil, cool technological and battlefield innovations. Not like that stupid and pointless WWI.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 17, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Kaiten (回天, literal translation: "Turn the Heaven", commonly rendered as "turn of the Heaven's will", "the heaven shaker"[1]) were manned torpedoes and suicide craft, used by the Imperial Japanese Navy in the final stages of World War II.

Only the Type 1, a one-man model with a 1,550 kg (3,420 lb) warhead, was used operationally. Over 300 were built, more than 100 of which were sent on suicide missions.

The abandonment of the Types 2, 4 and their intermediaries, development of higher capacity batteries, abundance of Type 92 torpedoes and the ever-increasing urgency to be able to defend the Japanese mainland led to a change of methodology for the Kaiten design teams. The Type 10 was the result. It was essentially a Type 92 electric torpedo with a pilot chamber in-between the warhead and drive unit.

I wonder if the seats were padded

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Nazi sympathizer Charles Lindbergh shot down a Japanese plane as a civilian because he just showed up at an island airfield one day.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's too bad the nukes didn't ignite the atmosphere killing everyone, could have saved a lot of trouble

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

my paw paw was an engineer on the uss ingersol. he got a medal for fixing the big guns on the ship in the middle of a battle. i think about him often and wish i too was able to shoot naval cannons at nazis. rip

the ingersoll served in the pacific theater and would therefore not have been shooting at nazis

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LordArgh posted:

the ingersoll served in the pacific theater and would therefore not have been shooting at nazis

Accuracy was an ongoing issue with the Ingersoll's gun crew.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Universe Master posted:

Nazi sympathizer Charles Lindbergh shot down a Japanese plane as a civilian because he just showed up at an island airfield one day.

When Lindbergh visited the Pacific island where Navy Lieutenant Richard Nixon was stationed, Nixon skipped seeing him so he could play more poker.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
9 out of 10 KIAs never saw the person that killed them

sounds pretty lovely

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When Lindbergh visited the Pacific island where Navy Lieutenant Richard Nixon was stationed, Nixon skipped seeing him so he could play more poker.

Before you say this is a rare Nixon win, he was playing poker with Hitler

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

LordArgh posted:

To be fair, he didn't specify what year, his grandpa could have been blasting Nazis from his row boat in 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Men were to be armed with a Type-5 attack mine containing 15 kg (33 lb) of explosives, fitted to a 5 m (16 ft) bamboo pole. While concealed underwater, men, expecting to be killed by the resulting explosion, would use the pole to push the contact-fuzed explosive against the hull of a landing craft passing overhead. Off each potential invasion beach, an inventory of mines was anchored to the bottom for use by the submerged men. Three strings of mines were fifty meters apart, and men would be stationed sixty meters apart, staggered so there would be a man for each 20-meter length of beach.[2]

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
China is an interesting country during WW2 because they're fighting the Japanese, the communists, and trying to corral the local warlords into helping all while doing so. A lot of countries in WW2 are facing internal strife while fighting war of extinction, but I think the amount of internal chaos that the Chinas have to manage takes the cake. That country is a pretty tragic tale because all the human suffering started well before Hitler invaded Poland and started the European theater, and then once the Japanese surrendered in 1945 they went back to finishing their civil war with the communists for another 4 years. It's unsurprisingly horrible for the civilians, who are trying to be neutral enough not to be considered a traitor by any of the murderous factions/countries occupying their homes.

A very good but upsetting book is Forgotten Ally by Rana Mitter. It starts off with a decent primer to get you up to speed on the Sino-Japanese situation and explains why both countries were so dissimilar on an industrial level.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
WW2 Week by Week by Indie Neidell is a pretty great and accessible series on Youtube currently that still manages to be deep enough that people well acquainted with WW2 will learn something new (or at least get a different perspective on events). Lot of production value in these, with plenty of footage and diagrams. They can also be listened to in the background, as i've done while driving or playing games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7GY4BSUmU
What is especially notable about this series is that Indie does a fantastic job calling out atrocities by any country as "murder". He's especially aware of how WW2 brings out holocaust deniers/holomodor deniers/nanjing deniers/tankies and he goes out of his way to make sure his vids aren't providing ammunition for them. And while the videos are entertaining, he reminds folks periodically that wars aren't spectator sports even if they were 80 years ago.

BBC/Thames' The World at War is a 26 episode documentary series from 1973 which is something I think anyone who is interested in WW2 must watch. As you can guess from the release year, it got a handful of things wrong for a variety of reasons, such as proximity to the war years, the cold war, latent sinophobia/japanphobia, classified documents not being released yet. Despite all that, it shines because of the metric ton of footage and firsthand interviews they got from participants/victims of the war. They got plenty of high profile people on there before they died, such as one of the japanese generals who lead the attack on pearl harbor, or admiral dönitz, or hitler's valets and bodyguards. They also get a fair amount of folks like russian housewives or berliners explaining how they attempted to ignore the holocaust at the time. Again, because of the time this was made the accuracy isn't stellar, but there's no denying the value of the war footage or seeing the interviews from the people who were actually there. You really need to watch it by any means possible.

I know nobody asked for effortposts but I just had to share~

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
ZEROCOOL war bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think we can all agree that Russia would have won the war single-handedly

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

buglord posted:

WW2 Week by Week by Indie Neidell is a

gently caress this guy. I enjoyed his videos for a while. I didn't watch them religiously but found the ones I saw to be reasonably evenhanded and well put together.

His episode on Prince Paul of Yugoslavia was straight bullshit British propaganda. He said that Yugoslavia's signing of the Tripartite Pact was going to allow German troops to move through the country, when they were very specifically forbidden from doing that by the agreement. He also presented the removal of Prince Paul from power as an entirely organic uprising and failed to mention British involvement.

The UK was loving evil as hell in WW2 and listening to people defend them or Churchill is nauseating.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

gently caress this guy. I enjoyed his videos for a while. I didn't watch them religiously but found the ones I saw to be reasonably evenhanded and well put together.

His episode on Prince Paul of Yugoslavia was straight bullshit British propaganda. He said that Yugoslavia's signing of the Tripartite Pact was going to allow German troops to move through the country, when they were very specifically forbidden from doing that by the agreement. He also presented the removal of Prince Paul from power as an entirely organic uprising and failed to mention British involvement.

The UK was loving evil as hell in WW2 and listening to people defend them or Churchill is nauseating.

His WW1 playlist was really good :v:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
The part where American GIs in britain drank the entire nation's beer supply is pretty rad. More Budweiser bro!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Maybe reach out to him on it? He seems to genuinely want to do better and redoes episodes if he thinks he did a poor job of explaining something. It could be malice but he’s one of the few folks I’d give the benefit of the doubt to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

LordArgh posted:

wait i thought the japanese in ww2 were honorary nazis???? i thought an ally to a nazi is a nazi but i just woke up and and am still a little foggy