Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Canada wins by k/d ratio :canada:

canada shot first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Also If they really wanted to cavalry charge for whatever reason they could shoot smoke rounds and blind the tiger while advancing. After all it is much harder to hit what you can't see.

Fury was a good movie but the tiger scene and last stand aren't very realistic. A more accurate tiger scene would be if the tiger ambushed and knocked out/missed one of the tanks. The remaining tanks proceed to retreat in order to find a better firing position while suppressing the area with smoke and other munitions. The tiger either retreats and fights another day or gets taken out in a vulnerable position. Cav charges look cool on camera but are suicidal at best when confronting tanks with cannons and machine guns.

In reality if the fury's crew became immobilized without support from friendly units they would have bailed out and scuttled the tank with TNT. After that they would walk back to friendly lines and grab another tank.

Col. Creighton Abrams, for which the Abrams tank is named after, named his tank Thunderbolt. At the end of the war he was on Thunderbolt VII.

If only they were making a feature film for entertainment and not a documentary. In Any event, IIRC there is nobody but the tank between the Germans and the American rear, which would have been unable to defend itself properly. So if they don’t stop the Germans there will be terrible Allied casualties and disruption to the supply chain.

I wish I hadn’t read that post about Vampure camps. That should have been spoilered and NMSed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah from what I remember the allies are marching on and somehow the big ss division slipped through and is wandering around vaguely towards the rear and the three tanks are the only thing that can stop them.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Jestery posted:

My grandfather was captured in WW2

Here is his secret internment diary

This is really cool. How long was he a prisoner for? Until the end of the war by the looks of it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fury was ridiculous. It really veered off towards cartoonishness at the end when 3 guys in a destroyed tank kill like 200 germans because the germans keep running infront of their guns

The germans are just completely dumbfounded by this stationary heap of metal and can't figure out what to do

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Jacada posted:

This is really cool. How long was he a prisoner for? Until the end of the war by the looks of it?

That appears to be the case

I don't have a huge amount of info about him, those scraps are about the extent of information I have, there is unfortunately some awkward family blood there

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The only thing the Italians did halfway right was their naval communications. The allies didn't completely break their codes. The Germans ruined that by eventually forcing them to use their unbreakable system that was already completely broken.

the italians weren't really as bad as they are depicted in anglo, german, and soviet history books and propaganda. most of their problems arose from mussolini commanding them to attack before enough troops were gathered, and their lack of mechanization. so in infantry vs. infantry combat in greece they got a beating because they had only about 1/3 of the troops the italian generals had estimated they needed, and on desert and steppes they had no fast moving reserves to plug in the breakthroughs. in those battles where they had the needed equipment they performed as well as anyone else. and their elite units ranked amongst the best in the world. they get a bad rep because of mussolini being mussolini and because of racism.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

the italians weren't really as bad as they are depicted in anglo, german, and soviet history books and propaganda. most of their problems arose from mussolini commanding them to attack before enough troops were gathered, and their lack of mechanization. so in infantry vs. infantry combat in greece they got a beating because they had only about 1/3 of the troops the italian generals had estimated they needed, and on desert and steppes they had no fast moving reserves to plug in the breakthroughs. in those battles where they had the needed equipment they performed as well as anyone else. and their elite units ranked amongst the best in the world. they get a bad rep because of mussolini being mussolini and because of racism.

also the whole fascism thing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strumpie posted:

also the whole fascism thing

yes that too. they genocided hundreds of thousands of people.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Ben Macintyre's SAS: Rogue Heroes is a fascinating read on how the SAS was formed out of some weird necessity to cause chaos in the North Africa Theater in early WWII.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Re Italian incompetence:

In the early days of the European war, when the French and British were getting their poo poo kicked in by the Germans, the Italians decided they wanted in on this action and attacked via the south of France with 40 divisions. The French had 3 divisions defending.

Final score was several thousand Italians dead vs single digit French casualties, and the Italians didn't break through until the Germans came down and hit the French in the rear.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The only thing the Italians did halfway right was their naval communications. The allies didn't completely break their codes. The Germans ruined that by eventually forcing them to use their unbreakable system that was already completely broken.

Also be way way less racist than the Germans and some of the smaller Fash countries, so that it was an open secret among Jews and other targeted groups to haul rear end to Italian occupation zones instead of sit around in German ones.
You saw this in the Balkans especially.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

anyway here is a ww2 era greek pop song making fun of mussolini and clearly being done in a mocking Italian sounding melody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8doz7RJm6s

"On the mountains he meets with
our brave man, the evzon,
who shocks the master
the spaghetti eater."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChubbyChecker posted:

yes that too. they genocided hundreds of thousands of people.

Man they weren't even good at what fascists are known for. Just embarrassing all around

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Mussolini only has himself to blame but to Italy as a whole Germany really was a lovely ally, and once Italy turned, hoo boy the Germans did not take that well.

I’m reading a book analysing German pow transcripts recorded in secret and the utter contempt German soldiers had for their Italian allies is astounding. Like they are so surprised that they weren’t as enthusiastic dying for German lebensraum and genocidal ideas.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
despite Italy's shortcomings, of all the fascist leaders, benito mussolini is the only one still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA8Uav7EPlQ

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The italians dunked their own dictator though right? They get some cred for that

quote:

On 25 April 1945, Allied troops were advancing into northern Italy, and the collapse of the Salò Republic was imminent. Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci set out for Switzerland, intending to board a plane and escape to Spain.[183] Two days later on 27 April, they were stopped near the village of Dongo (Lake Como) by communist partisans named Valerio and Bellini and identified by the Political Commissar of the partisans' 52nd Garibaldi Brigade, Urbano Lazzaro. During this time, Petacci's brother posed as a Spanish consul.[184] After several unsuccessful attempts to take them to Como they were brought to Mezzegra. They spent their last night in the house of the De Maria family.

The next day, Mussolini and Petacci were both summarily shot, along with most of the members of their 15-man train, primarily ministers and officials of the Italian Social Republic. The shootings took place in the small village of Giulino di Mezzegra and were conducted by a partisan leader who used the nom de guerre Colonnello Valerio. His real identity is unknown, but conventionally he is thought to have been Walter Audisio, who always claimed to have carried out the execution, though another partisan controversially alleged that Colonnello Valerio was Luigi Longo, subsequently a leading communist politician in post-war Italy.[185][186] Mussolini was killed two days before Hitler and his wife Eva Braun committed suicide. The RSI only survived for another four days before Mussolini's defence minister, Rodolfo Graziani–the lone Italian marshal who remained loyal to Fascism after 1943–surrendered its remains on 1 May.

On 29 April 1945, the bodies of Mussolini, Petacci, and the other executed Fascists were loaded into a van and moved south to Milan. At 3:00 am, the corpses were dumped on the ground in the old Piazzale Loreto. The piazza had been renamed "Piazza Quindici Martiri" (Fifteen Martyrs' Square) in honor of fifteen anti-Fascists recently executed there.[187]

After being kicked and spat upon, the bodies were hung upside down from the roof of an Esso gas station.[188] The bodies were then stoned from below by civilians. This was done both to discourage any Fascists from continuing the fight, and as an act of revenge for the hanging of many partisans in the same place by Axis authorities. The corpse of the deposed leader was subject to ridicule and abuse. Fascist loyalist Achille Starace was captured and sentenced to death and then taken to the Piazzale Loreto and shown the body of Mussolini. Starace, who once said of Mussolini "He is a god,"[189] saluted what was left of his leader just before he was shot. The body of Starace was subsequently hung up next to that of Mussolini.

After his death and the display of his corpse in Milan, Mussolini was buried in an unmarked grave in the Musocco cemetery, to the north of the city. On Easter Sunday 1946, his body was located and dug up by Domenico Leccisi and two other neo-Fascists.

On the loose for months—and a cause of great anxiety to the new Italian democracy—Mussolini's body was finally "recaptured" in August, hidden in a small trunk at the Certosa di Pavia, just outside Milan. Two Fransciscan brothers were subsequently charged with concealing the corpse, though it was discovered on further investigation that it had been constantly on the move. Unsure what to do, the authorities held the remains in a kind of political limbo for ten years, before agreeing to allow them to be re-interred at Predappio in Romagna, his birthplace. Adone Zoli, the then-current prime minister, contacted Donna Rachele, the dictator's widow, to tell her he was returning the remains, as he needed the support of the far-right in parliament, including Leccisi himself. In Predappio the dictator was buried in a crypt (the only posthumous honor granted to Mussolini). His tomb is flanked by marble fasces, and a large idealized marble bust of him is above the tomb

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Am I right in remembering that the hardest fighting Italian partisans, the ones that did the most work, were mostly communists and got pretty badly hosed with by the CIA after the war? Not as bad as Greece of course.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Am I right in remembering that the hardest fighting Italian partisans, the ones that did the most work, were mostly communists and got pretty badly hosed with by the CIA after the war? Not as bad as Greece of course.

That could be any country's communists

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thekeeshman posted:

Re Italian incompetence:

In the early days of the European war, when the French and British were getting their poo poo kicked in by the Germans, the Italians decided they wanted in on this action and attacked via the south of France with 40 divisions. The French had 3 divisions defending.

Final score was several thousand Italians dead vs single digit French casualties, and the Italians didn't break through until the Germans came down and hit the French in the rear.

not really

the italians had about 3 times the troops the french had on the border (which wasn't enough for the situation) and the french suffered 3 digit casualties. and in the usual mussolini style he didn't listen to his generals and invaded with unprepared and undersupplied troops against well prepared and properly supplied troops on mountains. but mussolini's plan wasn't to wage proper war, but to get enough casualties on his side to look like that he had also fought, so that he could sit at the table when the spoils were divided. most of italy's merchant fleet was at the time outside italian controlled ports, so he lost them too

Grape posted:

Also be way way less racist than the Germans and some of the smaller Fash countries, so that it was an open secret among Jews and other targeted groups to haul rear end to Italian occupation zones instead of sit around in German ones.
You saw this in the Balkans especially.

yeah, the italian style of fascism wasn't built around antisemitism, and the italian jews were so well integrated that some of them were also fascists.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man they weren't even good at what fascists are known for. Just embarrassing all around

even though they genocided hundreds of thousands of people, they still genocided fewer people than the brits did during the war.

Falukorv posted:

Mussolini only has himself to blame but to Italy as a whole Germany really was a lovely ally, and once Italy turned, hoo boy the Germans did not take that well.

I’m reading a book analysing German pow transcripts recorded in secret and the utter contempt German soldiers had for their Italian allies is astounding. Like they are so surprised that they weren’t as enthusiastic dying for German lebensraum and genocidal ideas.

the holocaust in italy started immediately after the germans installed the new puppet regime in the northern italy

Zzulu posted:

The italians dunked their own dictator though right? They get some cred for that

yeah

the western powers loved the former italian fascists. no one was tried for the african genocides, and the few sentences italians got for their balkan genocides were overturned about immediately

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Even the Ustashi, arguably the nastiest fascists of all the parties (thankfully weak and small all things considered) weren't hugely interested in anti-semitism. Some of the leaders even had Jewish wives.
They still killed a bunch of Jews, but mostly out of obligation (these were monstrous guys so it's not like they were exactly reluctant to do it either).
They maybe even saw it as a distraction from their true passion. Killing the hell out of Serbs.

Fun Fact: The proud runners of the ONLY non-German death camp. Jasenovac.

Of course this reflects badly on Italy because Mussolini's people were supporters of putting them in charge of Croatia mostly I think for religious reasons (good Catholics!), also because they were able to get land concessions out of them for old Venetian territory along the Adriatic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grape posted:

Fun Fact: The proud runners of the ONLY non-German death camp. Jasenovac.

And the only concentration camp specifically for children!

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
e: hot take

corn haver fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 24, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shattered Sword is all about details and the dude even mentions how flammable all the paperwork was. It's a very detail oriented book

quote:

WW II–era warships were marvelously flammable. Anyone who has been on board a ship of that vintage will have noticed that one of the prevalent odors present is that of petroleum distillates, in the form of lubricants, solvents, gasoline, and thousands of tons of fuel oil. Added to this, of course, was ammunition for the ship’s guns, which was stored primarily in the magazines, but smaller quantities of which were kept in ready storage lockers near the guns for quick access during an attack. In contrast to today’s warships, oil-based paints were used extensively. Wiring ways were filled with insulation that could ignite at high temperature, as could piping insulation (which in Japanese warships was often made of wood). Damage-control lockers themselves contained wood beams for shoring, and additional shoring material was usually stowed in the overheads of companionways and anywhere else sufficient space could be found. Warships were (and still are) full of paper—reports, forms, charts, manuals, and blueprints. Belowdecks, there was cotton bedding for the crew (which numbered between 1,100 and 1,700 men for each of the four carriers), as well as their clothing and personal effects. For the comfort of the men, Japanese berthing spaces often had false wooden flooring over the steel decks, with floor mats and wooden messing tables stored underneath. The galleys contained cooking oil, grains, and combustible foodstuffs. Grease deposits could be found in the stoves and ventilator ducts leading from these spaces. The sick bay stored ether and other volatile liquids. The ship’s laundry contained uniforms and rags, as well as lint deposits in the dryers and ventilators. All Japanese shipboard furniture was wooden, including chairs, tables, workbenches and so on.1 Wooden furniture made perfect sense for a country that had to import practically all its iron ore, and hence reserved steel for truly essential items. The net result is that warships of the day burned easily and well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

world war two smelled something AWFUL

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Re: flammable ships—the decks of many WWII era aircraft carriers were made of wood, which meant it was super easy to set them on fire

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Surprised that “critically injured in Italy and they wrote an M on his forehead with his own blood to indicate he’d been given morphine” Bob Dole, and “shot down in France, escaped into Spain, later shot down a German jet” Chuck Yeager are still with us.

Was interesting how while I’m sure there were exceptions, was our last war where the rich and famous didn’t all try to evade service. All four of FDR’s sons were in real roles, JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site, even golf champ Bobby Jones refused to play exhibition games and went into the Air Force.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Surprised that “critically injured in Italy and they wrote an M on his forehead with his own blood to indicate he’d been given morphine” Bob Dole, and “shot down in France, escaped into Spain, later shot down a German jet” Chuck Yeager are still with us.

Was interesting how while I’m sure there were exceptions, was our last war where the rich and famous didn’t all try to evade service. All four of FDR’s sons were in real roles, JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site, even golf champ Bobby Jones refused to play exhibition games and went into the Air Force.

turns out the last true american hero to be tortured in a prison camp was John McCain. :911:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The sons of the rich and powerful absolutely evaded service in WW2

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just saying read "The Good War" there was very much this idea that if you served frontline you were a sucker. A lot of people tried to escape the worst of the draft in ways that would get them into a good spot away from combat, or at least in training for a long time by which the war would hopefully be over. Going into the Army, especially, was the last resort.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Here's an interview with Audie Murphy's sister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PCnRg7HXV0&t=4s

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

People signed up immediately after Pearl Harbor in a flood of patriotism but after that there was a sense that the war sucks and the war was bullshit and all you had left were draftees and overly enthusiastic high schoolers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The big problem in WW2 is that after December of 41 our entire war making effort went towards fighting the Nazis and your average American wondered... why?? Nobody knew exactly how awful they were and no matter how much propaganda you slathered on the American people they just didn't respond that much. Japanese they hated. Like really really loving hated. Like racialized virulent evil sort of hatred. Americans legitimately wanted to kill Japanese soldiers and civilians, Germans they killed because they were told to.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The big problem in WW2 is that after December of 41 our entire war making effort went towards fighting the Nazis and your average American wondered... why?? Nobody knew exactly how awful they were and no matter how much propaganda you slathered on the American people they just didn't respond that much. Japanese they hated. Like really really loving hated. Like racialized virulent evil sort of hatred. Americans legitimately wanted to kill Japanese soldiers and civilians, Germans they killed because they were told to.

i bet the Japanese did nazi that coming.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Strumpie posted:

i bet the Japanese did nazi that coming.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-511

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A story that I heard both from my dad and one of my profs in university was that at the university, the person both of them took modern European history from, so from basically French Revolution to WW2, was a former Polish resistance fighter. He has been in the Polish Army, but had managed to escape purges by both German and Soviets. He and his wife where in Warsaw when the uprising happened. He, like most of of the rest of the resistance, thought "the soviets will come and help us!" but it dawned on him earlier than most that the Soviets had no intention on helping the Pols liberate their own capital. So he and his wife snuck out of the city though the sewers and managed to get to the coast and found a boat which they were able to take to Sweden. From there they made their way to Canada after the war was over and you could move around a bit.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I'm just saying read "The Good War" there was very much this idea that if you served frontline you were a sucker. A lot of people tried to escape the worst of the draft in ways that would get them into a good spot away from combat, or at least in training for a long time by which the war would hopefully be over. Going into the Army, especially, was the last resort.

and only the people who scored the lowest points were trained as riflemen

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The words are never used in Shattered Sword but as far as I can tell the Japanese attack on Midway, as planned, was a bite and hold maneuver. The problem is that the Kido Butai couldn't deliver ordnance on target, it never could. It was a raiding force, not a bombarding force. So the whole thing was loving stupid from the get go

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The words are never used in Shattered Sword but as far as I can tell the Japanese attack on Midway, as planned, was a bite and hold maneuver. The problem is that the Kido Butai couldn't deliver ordnance on target, it never could. It was a raiding force, not a bombarding force. So the whole thing was loving stupid from the get go

the Kido Butai? that's what Goku used to kill Frieza, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Strumpie posted:

the Kido Butai? that's what Goku used to kill Frieza, isn't it?

It's actually a shining, mythical sword that stands upright in the ocean, point first, unmoved by wind and wave. If an adventurer sails by and grabs its hilt they are immediately consumed by an impossible to extinguish gasoline fire.