Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There was a thread about WW2 I think here on SA where someone was discussing the terrible industrial planning of the Germans. The example was the Luftwaffe, where there were something like 27 different machine guns used across the fleet, and even guns of the same calibre sometimes required different ammo. This was compared to the US, where across the Army and Air Force (and probably Navy and Marines) there were two calibres with standard ammo: .30 and .50 - allowing for much greater efficiency in production, maintenance, supply etc. The German industrial war machine was splintered and competitive, leading to a lot of inefficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chillgamesh posted:

First Gen Tiger Ausf Bs had a fancy turret design that deflected incoming fire downwards into the relatively unarmored deck of the tank :rolleye:

I remember reading a post or article about how Hitler was obsessed with being taken down by a military coup to the point that he intentionally sowed discord in his own army and sabotaged their efficiency in order to prevent it from happening. The example given was that Goring was given 200k ground troops to command - not airborne infantry, not mechanized infantry - just, like, 200k dudes that worked for the air force in an infantry capacity, rather than having them serving in the army where they could fight in a combined arms capacity with the tanks and other support vehicles the army had access to. He did this specifically because he trusted Goring more than any of the generals in the Heer and wanted him to be able to push Hitler's agenda over less the less political guys in the Heer who, while still being Nazis, were still far more likely to say "hey maybe I shouldn't let all my dudes die because it would make for a cool narrative about how noble my dudes were and savage the bad guys are"

Also Douglas MacArthur is probably the single most overrated general in modern military history, even more than Rommel maybe, the dude loving sucked and was bad at everything

MacArthur:

https://youtu.be/0XZ9-muhi7A

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GolfHole posted:

i guess ill tell the story of my italian grandfather

who sat around the beaches in italy for months waiting for orders
then was sent to invade greece
but they made it all of like, 2km inland

and after weeks of playing cards the germans showed up and were extremely pissed off at the lack of progress
and they sent all the italians home

You should watch the film Mediterraneano. (It’s wonderful).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Also If they really wanted to cavalry charge for whatever reason they could shoot smoke rounds and blind the tiger while advancing. After all it is much harder to hit what you can't see.

Fury was a good movie but the tiger scene and last stand aren't very realistic. A more accurate tiger scene would be if the tiger ambushed and knocked out/missed one of the tanks. The remaining tanks proceed to retreat in order to find a better firing position while suppressing the area with smoke and other munitions. The tiger either retreats and fights another day or gets taken out in a vulnerable position. Cav charges look cool on camera but are suicidal at best when confronting tanks with cannons and machine guns.

In reality if the fury's crew became immobilized without support from friendly units they would have bailed out and scuttled the tank with TNT. After that they would walk back to friendly lines and grab another tank.

Col. Creighton Abrams, for which the Abrams tank is named after, named his tank Thunderbolt. At the end of the war he was on Thunderbolt VII.

If only they were making a feature film for entertainment and not a documentary. In Any event, IIRC there is nobody but the tank between the Germans and the American rear, which would have been unable to defend itself properly. So if they don’t stop the Germans there will be terrible Allied casualties and disruption to the supply chain.

I wish I hadn’t read that post about Vampure camps. That should have been spoilered and NMSed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

I can't see that ever happening because it's an evergreen public domain setting for media. You don't need to license the Private Ryan / Fury "Cinematic Universe" so to speak.

That is, nbody owns the exclusive rights to ww2. Anyone can freely use the likeness of its uniforms, tanks, etc without owing royalties.

You can set Calls of Duty in WW2 without having to explain who is battling whom. The context is already understood, and there's always going to be a built-in incentive to use a royalty-free, established setting.

Plus it’s a clear good guys/bad guys situation (at least for most people....)