Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Schweinhund posted:

Story about one of the Japanese pilots who attacked pearl harbor and crash landed in Hawaii:

https://www.damninteresting.com/incident-on-niihau-island/

Very interesting, thanks! It turns out when basically the entire population of Earth starts mobilising and doing war and inventing loads of new stuff, amazing experiences become ten a penny, because of the sheer amount of stuff happening at any one time.

Hanna Reitsch was a Nazi rear end in a top hat, but also an absolute bad rear end who flew the last plane out of Berlin when the Russians arrived, in addition to being the first woman to fly a jet, and a helicopter, and a rocket plane. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Reitsch

Reading about her led me to Eric Brown, who flew more varieties of plane than anyone in history, frequently with no training apart from reading a manual in a foreign language. He also made about 2500 landings and takeoffs from aircraft carriers, including the torpedoed Audacity, of which he was the sole survivor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Zzulu posted:

Japan did some real gnarly stuff, really evil stuff

Mhm, it’s a good job nukes were invented by a bunch of US nerds really, to keep their use proportionate. If they’d been invented by a guy from Nanking we’d be talking about Japan in the past tense.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The thing is as amateur historians it's easy to be swayed by whatever the most recent bit of evidence you saw was. So sure, it's interesting but what context does it exist in? As I said there are numerous somewhat plausible dates for Wells' death but I think that the preponderance of evidence shows that Wells most likely died in 1928.

What is this bit from?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fojar38 posted:

It's really weird how much you hate the UK even in the context of the British fighting literal Nazis

This thread is definitely going to turn into a place where people re-litigate unpopular opinions from other threads.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Slotducks posted:

But why skulls though?

Are… are we the bad guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Kindly Ones is trash compared to the author’s first novel, Bad Voltage, one of the most enjoyably poo poo cyberpunk books ever written, huge swathes of which are still lodged in my brain.