Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Anybody know the casualty rate for tank crews? Dying in a tank seems like a total nightmare.

Depends on the nation. Red army and German losses were extremely high. Statistically the safest tank to be in after being penetrated was an American Sherman.

If I remember my stats correctly only 3% of Frontline american armored corps personnel died. In contrast if you were a Frontline rifleman in the army it was closer to 18%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

The panzer I and II had decent armor as far as prewar designs went. what they lacked in was armament. The panzer I was intended as a training tank and had only machine guns as weapons. The II had a 20mm autocannon that was pretty good against trucks and armored cars and only capable of taking out light armor at semi close range. They did have some newer designs with a functional armament but not nearly enough. They figured bolstering their ranks with a training tank was better than not having a tank.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Germany could just indefinitely keep bombing the UK with their prototype missiles until they figured out missiles that were really effective and then the UK would have been hosed

That is, of course, if they hadn't stuck their dick in mother russia and gotten their poo poo pushed in

Just a friendly reminder that the guy who ran Germany's vengeance rocket program was none other than NASA's very own Werner Von Braun. He was an officer in the SS and had full knowledge of the Jewish slave labor being used in the production of said rockets.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Also If they really wanted to cavalry charge for whatever reason they could shoot smoke rounds and blind the tiger while advancing. After all it is much harder to hit what you can't see.

Fury was a good movie but the tiger scene and last stand aren't very realistic. A more accurate tiger scene would be if the tiger ambushed and knocked out/missed one of the tanks. The remaining tanks proceed to retreat in order to find a better firing position while suppressing the area with smoke and other munitions. The tiger either retreats and fights another day or gets taken out in a vulnerable position. Cav charges look cool on camera but are suicidal at best when confronting tanks with cannons and machine guns.

In reality if the fury's crew became immobilized without support from friendly units they would have bailed out and scuttled the tank with TNT. After that they would walk back to friendly lines and grab another tank.

Col. Creighton Abrams, for which the Abrams tank is named after, named his tank Thunderbolt. At the end of the war he was on Thunderbolt VII.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

The only thing the Italians did halfway right was their naval communications. The allies didn't completely break their codes. The Germans ruined that by eventually forcing them to use their unbreakable system that was already completely broken.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Hmm maybe I misread something awhile back or it was just bad info but I remember something like that. Either way Italian incompetence knows no bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

Perhaps the Soviets would have defeated Germany more easily if they hadn’t had a ruthless paranoiac in charge?

The purges heavily depleted the officer corps of the red army so probably. If Mikhail Tukhachevsky was still in charge red army communications may have actually been a thing. A lack of effective communication at the onset of Barbarossa dramatically helped the early German invasion.