Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

GolfHole posted:

this is a cool story about the nazis getting owned by a retired guy, some kids, and 40-year old torpedos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KgBJC4RXC4

THIS VIDEO IS SPONSORED BY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ YOU loving LOVE WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ PLAY WORLD OF WARSHIPS BLITZ BUY OUR MICROTRANSACTIONS YOU FUCKERRRRRRRR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
yeah but all the germans did look like tall handsome boys whereas the allies looked like dumpy men in sack cloth, literally.

can't put a price on being fabulous. :sparkles:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well I think the date of Well's death is debatable but historians give numerous dates and I think the 1928 date is the one supported by the most evidence. Regardless the German failure to occupy Britain owed far more to their lack of ships to ferry their planes across the English Channel - which yes was partly due to much of the German navy being diverted to the eastern front.

i'm just glad he finished Citizen Kane before he died.

also planes fly over the channel.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTBYksnK7N0

i like that hitler is the punchline to every joke in the english language.

what would we do without you hitler.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
brown shirts?

more like brown pants!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

You got it all wrong

It was about french cowardice,

i heard french tanks have more gears for reverse than forwards!

also they eat cheese!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

no, gasoline

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

GolfHole posted:

i guess ill tell the story of my italian grandfather

who sat around the beaches in italy for months waiting for orders
then was sent to invade greece
but they made it all of like, 2km inland

and after weeks of playing cards the germans showed up and were extremely pissed off at the lack of progress
and they sent all the italians home

the italians were on the side of the allies the whole time.

incidentally, if the italians had been on the side of the allies the whole time they would have been working for the axis powers.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

the italians weren't really as bad as they are depicted in anglo, german, and soviet history books and propaganda. most of their problems arose from mussolini commanding them to attack before enough troops were gathered, and their lack of mechanization. so in infantry vs. infantry combat in greece they got a beating because they had only about 1/3 of the troops the italian generals had estimated they needed, and on desert and steppes they had no fast moving reserves to plug in the breakthroughs. in those battles where they had the needed equipment they performed as well as anyone else. and their elite units ranked amongst the best in the world. they get a bad rep because of mussolini being mussolini and because of racism.

also the whole fascism thing

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
despite Italy's shortcomings, of all the fascist leaders, benito mussolini is the only one still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA8Uav7EPlQ

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Surprised that “critically injured in Italy and they wrote an M on his forehead with his own blood to indicate he’d been given morphine” Bob Dole, and “shot down in France, escaped into Spain, later shot down a German jet” Chuck Yeager are still with us.

Was interesting how while I’m sure there were exceptions, was our last war where the rich and famous didn’t all try to evade service. All four of FDR’s sons were in real roles, JFK’s older brother died attacking a V2 site, even golf champ Bobby Jones refused to play exhibition games and went into the Air Force.

turns out the last true american hero to be tortured in a prison camp was John McCain. :911:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The big problem in WW2 is that after December of 41 our entire war making effort went towards fighting the Nazis and your average American wondered... why?? Nobody knew exactly how awful they were and no matter how much propaganda you slathered on the American people they just didn't respond that much. Japanese they hated. Like really really loving hated. Like racialized virulent evil sort of hatred. Americans legitimately wanted to kill Japanese soldiers and civilians, Germans they killed because they were told to.

i bet the Japanese did nazi that coming.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The words are never used in Shattered Sword but as far as I can tell the Japanese attack on Midway, as planned, was a bite and hold maneuver. The problem is that the Kido Butai couldn't deliver ordnance on target, it never could. It was a raiding force, not a bombarding force. So the whole thing was loving stupid from the get go

the Kido Butai? that's what Goku used to kill Frieza, isn't it?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
he seems pretty cool, he got me £100 off my car insurance.

oh yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
invading Poland wasn't a great look for the Soviet Union.

it's a frowny face from me.