Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I read about some super high altitude dogfighting (50,000 ft) where because bomber and fighter had both been super optimised for high altitude, that the dogfight way less loop-de-loops and dakka dakka and more slow dance of death with and
Flea and airspeed being incredibly important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Julius CSAR posted:

It’s because the air is so thin at those altitudes propeller driven aircraft don’t generate much lift, so it’s difficult to even keep the airplane in the air. Basically since propellers are very similar to airfoils there’s less “grip” for them to generate thrust, which impedes the wing’s ability to generate lift in an environment where they’re not really generating much anyway.

But 50k is stretching it. The Ta-152 could technically do that, but the service ceiling of a B-17G is only a little more than 35,000 so there wouldn’t be much of a reason to be up that high in the first place.

The best high altitude fighter was unequivocally the P-51D and that goes for both the European and Pacific theaters. And in this case the term “best” means a whole more than “the airplane that could go the highest” or “its specifications say it could x on paper.”

This is where I heard about it
https://youtu.be/8WDkj0ZYuiA

It was around 45000 ft and basically a dick waving contest

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Julius CSAR posted:

That dude loving sucks btw

I can understand that, I find his matter of fact delivery without needless editorialisation to be the main draw, would you be able to reccomend anything superior that accomplishes that? Or is the next step to actually start reading text books?

Jestery fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 19, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Julius CSAR posted:

He plagiarizes so thoroughly he will quote other’s obvious historical inaccuracies word for word. Also he takes nazi propaganda at face value and considers it a worthwhile source, and just general jerking off of the technological and strategic superiority of the German military (which was anything but) in general. Up to and including things like cool action stories about SS units.

I’m not saying you have to read books per se, but these topics are usually so in depth a 20 minute YouTube video is never going to be able cover with the kind of depth these subjects require.

Fair enough, his frequent output does seem to suggest a necessary degradation of quality,

I'm mostly just chasing something that contains interesting stories/concepts , like that high altitude dogfighting thing without it putting on a spoopy voice and trying to implicitly let me in on secret/wild/epic knowledge

I guess audio books of this stuff is the way forward.

In terms of cool WW2 stuff

https://youtu.be/s1i-dnAH9Y4

It's an instructional overview for how to use a fire control mechanical computer from a ww2 battle ship

If you have an understanding of trigonometric functions and what a logorithim is it's very cool to see a physical manifestation of these concepts

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My grandfather was captured in WW2

Here is his secret internment diary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jacada posted:

This is really cool. How long was he a prisoner for? Until the end of the war by the looks of it?

That appears to be the case

I don't have a huge amount of info about him, those scraps are about the extent of information I have, there is unfortunately some awkward family blood there