Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

twistedmentat posted:

WW2 always lists its sources in the show notes, so you can check those on the episode about Prince Paul. Looking at the comments, a number of people in them say that his rehabilitation was done during the Yugoslavian civil war in the 90s so I'm not 100% convinced he was completely innocent, though i think the assessment he was in a damned if he did, damned if he didn't situation where there were no good choices. Though this is not my area of expertese. That's most about the workings of the Nazi state, plus its nearly 20 years any my memory is pretty hazy on even that.

Too bad I do not have my rejected thesis statement, not rejected because its contents, but because it was not written in proper academic style. gently caress that gatekeeping.

I did a big rear end undergrad paper on Nazi quislings in Eastern Europe, and from what I recall Teriyaki has it right here.
Yugoslavia was freaking out, hoped it would keep the Nazis at bay. Probably it wouldn't. But they didn't sign onto the Axis pact in any other context then essentially extortion.

It's not like one has to fight to look for fascist Yugoslavs during WW2 lol. So dunno why someone would fight so hard on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The main draw I got from my research was that the Bulgarian tsar was the only one of the countries semi press ganged into the Axis who actually played Hitler rather than the other way around. But that was probably because his country was the farthest one out.

Meanwhile the dumb idiot fucknut admiral in charge of Hungary was played hard as hell. Completely Lando Calrissianed by Hitler's Vader just changing their deal every two seconds with him sitting there like "durrr i thought we were equals,.... yes sir, no sir, sorry sir"

romania was loving crazy, both bucked hitler but were also super awful fash (coulda been worse though)

utashi croatia were monsters who cared way more about killing serbs than jews

rump yugoslavia was run by a pathetic loser fash who wanted to be a monster but his state was the most completely puppetized of the Balkans so he had very little power

slovakia was boirng and i dont remember much, they weren't super evil or sympathetic, just kinda a sad little nazi puppet state

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also Prince Paul and his government were conferencing with British and American officials right up to signing the Pact begging them for some kind of plan or guarantee or something other than just throwing Yugoslavia on the loving fire like what happened with Poland. They got nothing. He literally said to the American ambassador

It's amazing he ever managed to go on to produce the first three De La Soul albums so well.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Never forget the sacrifice Italy made for us all, by being so insanely incompetent that Hitler had to intervene and help them conquer a weak lovely third world poohole (Greece), delaying the German offensive on the USSR. Taking precious non-winter months away from the Nazis and contributing to their crushing defeat.

All thanks to Italians sucking.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I've always wanted to read more on Turkey during WW2.

As far as I can tell Hitler never had plans for them, mainly because they weren't necessary to conquer in order to make Fortress Europe against the west Allies.
They seemed to spend the whole war just staring westward like :stare:, until near the end where they did the usual diplomatic dogpile on Germany.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

You don't fully realize how awful the Nazis were until you realize that even in the face of an unstoppable Russian avalanche charging toward them with the fury of a thousand suns, they still carefully packed up and moved concentration camps and their inmates further west.

They did not for instance go "Oh poo poo, everyone grab military stuff and run back to Germany, just leave the prisoners and stuff here because we have no time! Holocaust schmolocaust! Survival first!"
Nope, they deemed it important to pack away the transport their genocide with them even when under existential threat from millions of angry Slavs.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its easy with hindsight to say germany was hosed and i am sure some of the upper echelon dudes knew germany was probably hosed even than. but no one was sure.

its because that was part of their whole war aim. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Earth-Holocaust-History-Warning/dp/1101903473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmgs_CWxMHc

I'm aware. But that wasn't the war aim in the late late late hours of the war.
The war aim there was RUN, gently caress ME RUN JESUS RUN, FIVE BILLION ANGRY RUSSIANS, gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo rear end.

Generally at that stage of things you don't focus on stretch goals and long term results so much as loving HAUL rear end JESUS gently caress SLAVS EVERYWHERE SON OF gently caress, at that point a rout is occurring and you drop everything not essential to survival and at best hope to fall back to a line or something.

Generally, but the Nazis did not forget to keep genociding.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The only thing the Italians did halfway right was their naval communications. The allies didn't completely break their codes. The Germans ruined that by eventually forcing them to use their unbreakable system that was already completely broken.

Also be way way less racist than the Germans and some of the smaller Fash countries, so that it was an open secret among Jews and other targeted groups to haul rear end to Italian occupation zones instead of sit around in German ones.
You saw this in the Balkans especially.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

anyway here is a ww2 era greek pop song making fun of mussolini and clearly being done in a mocking Italian sounding melody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8doz7RJm6s

"On the mountains he meets with
our brave man, the evzon,
who shocks the master
the spaghetti eater."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Even the Ustashi, arguably the nastiest fascists of all the parties (thankfully weak and small all things considered) weren't hugely interested in anti-semitism. Some of the leaders even had Jewish wives.
They still killed a bunch of Jews, but mostly out of obligation (these were monstrous guys so it's not like they were exactly reluctant to do it either).
They maybe even saw it as a distraction from their true passion. Killing the hell out of Serbs.

Fun Fact: The proud runners of the ONLY non-German death camp. Jasenovac.

Of course this reflects badly on Italy because Mussolini's people were supporters of putting them in charge of Croatia mostly I think for religious reasons (good Catholics!), also because they were able to get land concessions out of them for old Venetian territory along the Adriatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Neither was ethnic cleansing multiple Caucasus area peoples at the slightest sniff that their eternal hatred for Russian imperialism would be taken advantage of by the Nazis.