Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zzulu posted:

Japan did some real gnarly stuff, really evil stuff

yes, its called anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

no, that's hentai

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buglord posted:

For what its worth, a lot of popular media out there tends to paint the Third Reich as some super state with super advanced armor with meticulously vetted and rigorously trained men. I watched a lot of History/Discovery Channel growing up, and they certainly give way more airtime to "look at this impenetrable tank" over " this tank was used to defend a country with genocidal policy". Me being brown made that weird mainstream fascination of nazis even weirder. It's also why I don't play the Germans in any WW2 themed game if I have to: if they win, I lose.

if you play video games you are already a loser

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

cnice posted:

Dunkirk was kind of cool though. And didn’t they hold their own for awhile in North Africa?

not on their own, the colonials did most of the work

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buglord posted:

Was there any point during WW2 where the Nazis and UK could have settled for peace if the evacuation of Dunkirk failed? Was there a point in time where Nazi Germany was closest to winning the war in the west? I know counterfactuals are lowbrow, but I heard the statement come up in one of those WW2 forum speeches where old geezers talk about a bit of the war for 2 hours.

the failure of the dunkirk evacuation wouldn't have mattered much in the big picture

if the nazis had driven over thor's rainbows to the uk after the dunkirk, the evacuated troops wouldn't have been of much use because they had left behind their heavy weapons. but since there was no way for the nazis to invade across the channel, the uk could just mobilize, train and equip more troops. during the war they mobilized over 5m troops from the british isles, so the 300k dunkirk evacuees were only 6% of the amount

there was no way for germany to win

the nazi "economic miracle" was based on taking huge loans and using the money on building armaments factories, raising overly large armed forces, and lying to the debtors. so if germany hadn't started the war and looted their neighbours they would have been bankrupted in the 40s. and if they had stood their ground in -40 and not declared war to both the us and su in -41, they would still have been bankrupted because of the blockade. and their submarine warfare would eventually have made the us to declare war. and stalin might have also declared war at some point, because he liked doing that sort of stuff. if the nazi empire had stood for a few months longer, they would have been nuked.

but that's all in hindsight. after the fall of france the situation looked worse than it was, and there were some british politicians who talked of peace, but they were in the minority, so nothing came out of it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strumpie posted:

i heard french tanks have more gears for reverse than forwards!

also they eat cheese!

no, gasoline

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

interesting, hadn't read about the franco-thai war before

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The only thing the Italians did halfway right was their naval communications. The allies didn't completely break their codes. The Germans ruined that by eventually forcing them to use their unbreakable system that was already completely broken.

the italians weren't really as bad as they are depicted in anglo, german, and soviet history books and propaganda. most of their problems arose from mussolini commanding them to attack before enough troops were gathered, and their lack of mechanization. so in infantry vs. infantry combat in greece they got a beating because they had only about 1/3 of the troops the italian generals had estimated they needed, and on desert and steppes they had no fast moving reserves to plug in the breakthroughs. in those battles where they had the needed equipment they performed as well as anyone else. and their elite units ranked amongst the best in the world. they get a bad rep because of mussolini being mussolini and because of racism.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Strumpie posted:

also the whole fascism thing

yes that too. they genocided hundreds of thousands of people.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

thekeeshman posted:

Re Italian incompetence:

In the early days of the European war, when the French and British were getting their poo poo kicked in by the Germans, the Italians decided they wanted in on this action and attacked via the south of France with 40 divisions. The French had 3 divisions defending.

Final score was several thousand Italians dead vs single digit French casualties, and the Italians didn't break through until the Germans came down and hit the French in the rear.

not really

the italians had about 3 times the troops the french had on the border (which wasn't enough for the situation) and the french suffered 3 digit casualties. and in the usual mussolini style he didn't listen to his generals and invaded with unprepared and undersupplied troops against well prepared and properly supplied troops on mountains. but mussolini's plan wasn't to wage proper war, but to get enough casualties on his side to look like that he had also fought, so that he could sit at the table when the spoils were divided. most of italy's merchant fleet was at the time outside italian controlled ports, so he lost them too

Grape posted:

Also be way way less racist than the Germans and some of the smaller Fash countries, so that it was an open secret among Jews and other targeted groups to haul rear end to Italian occupation zones instead of sit around in German ones.
You saw this in the Balkans especially.

yeah, the italian style of fascism wasn't built around antisemitism, and the italian jews were so well integrated that some of them were also fascists.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man they weren't even good at what fascists are known for. Just embarrassing all around

even though they genocided hundreds of thousands of people, they still genocided fewer people than the brits did during the war.

Falukorv posted:

Mussolini only has himself to blame but to Italy as a whole Germany really was a lovely ally, and once Italy turned, hoo boy the Germans did not take that well.

I’m reading a book analysing German pow transcripts recorded in secret and the utter contempt German soldiers had for their Italian allies is astounding. Like they are so surprised that they weren’t as enthusiastic dying for German lebensraum and genocidal ideas.

the holocaust in italy started immediately after the germans installed the new puppet regime in the northern italy

Zzulu posted:

The italians dunked their own dictator though right? They get some cred for that

yeah

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Am I right in remembering that the hardest fighting Italian partisans, the ones that did the most work, were mostly communists and got pretty badly hosed with by the CIA after the war? Not as bad as Greece of course.

the western powers loved the former italian fascists. no one was tried for the african genocides, and the few sentences italians got for their balkan genocides were overturned about immediately

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm just saying read "The Good War" there was very much this idea that if you served frontline you were a sucker. A lot of people tried to escape the worst of the draft in ways that would get them into a good spot away from combat, or at least in training for a long time by which the war would hopefully be over. Going into the Army, especially, was the last resort.

and only the people who scored the lowest points were trained as riflemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Groke posted:

Much like the OG nazis themselves.

As has been said:

Those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it.

Those who do study history are condemned to watch as everyone else repeats it.

and those who reenact history are dweebs