Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

buglord posted:

China is an interesting country during WW2 because they're fighting the Japanese, the communists, and trying to corral the local warlords into helping all while doing so. A lot of countries in WW2 are facing internal strife while fighting war of extinction, but I think the amount of internal chaos that the Chinas have to manage takes the cake. That country is a pretty tragic tale because all the human suffering started well before Hitler invaded Poland and started the European theater, and then once the Japanese surrendered in 1945 they went back to finishing their civil war with the communists for another 4 years. It's unsurprisingly horrible for the civilians, who are trying to be neutral enough not to be considered a traitor by any of the murderous factions/countries occupying their homes.

A very good but upsetting book is Forgotten Ally by Rana Mitter. It starts off with a decent primer to get you up to speed on the Sino-Japanese situation and explains why both countries were so dissimilar on an industrial level.

thanks buglord I put this on my reading list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Lol Douglas "Lets shoot American Veterans who just want to be paid" McArthur. I wouldn't trust him to estimate how much cake would be needed at an birthday party. Castuality ratios had been shown to be 1 American to 7 Japanese killed. The planning board, who had more people on it than one general on it even at its low estimation at half a million, and others had similar numbers. McArthur was out for blood and wanted the invasion to happen as soon as possible, probably to win himself even more glory (thats my editorializing there based on the mans personality).

A really good book I read in university was War Without Mercy: Race and the pacific war and it gets really in depth on how racism on both sides was a major factor in how both America and Japan prosecuted the war.

its a post from a d&d mod during the bush years with iraq replaced with japan

sorry i explained your joke blistex

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

the d&d mod worked for the state department and was killed in benghazi during the embassy attack

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

wrong mod, please don’t mix up vilerat and grover

sorry my bad

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

are any of yall good at identifying US medals and stuff like that? i have an old picture i found and itd be cool to know what they were for. quality kinda sucks rear end though because its a picture of an old picture.