Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

buglord posted:

BBC/Thames' The World at War is a 26 episode documentary series from 1973 which is something I think anyone who is interested in WW2 must watch. As you can guess from the release year, it got a handful of things wrong for a variety of reasons, such as proximity to the war years, the cold war, latent sinophobia/japanphobia, classified documents not being released yet. Despite all that, it shines because of the metric ton of footage and firsthand interviews they got from participants/victims of the war. They got plenty of high profile people on there before they died, such as one of the japanese generals who lead the attack on pearl harbor, or admiral dönitz, or hitler's valets and bodyguards. They also get a fair amount of folks like russian housewives or berliners explaining how they attempted to ignore the holocaust at the time. Again, because of the time this was made the accuracy isn't stellar, but there's no denying the value of the war footage or seeing the interviews from the people who were actually there. You really need to watch it by any means possible.

I know nobody asked for effortposts but I just had to share~

this is extremely the poo poo because it is also narrated by Laurence Olivier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU