Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's because the last 30 - 40 years have been filled with gaudy and insecure dictators awarding themselves medals.

Prior to 1939, it was gaudy and insecure nobility overcompensating with medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

God they were stupid, its amazing that their ideology is still popular with people today.

It's important to remember that today's people are exactly as stupid as history's people. Maybe more so, since we've had their example to learn from and didn't.

Hydroxychloroquine is the new posies in your pocket. Elite pedophile cabals are the next Witch Cult in Western-Europe. As humans, we don't learn.

The nazis weren't uniquely sinister, but they lucked out by arriving as the world's collective pants were down.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't see that ever happening because it's an evergreen public domain setting for media. You don't need to license the Private Ryan / Fury "Cinematic Universe" so to speak.

That is, nbody owns the exclusive rights to ww2. Anyone can freely use the likeness of its uniforms, tanks, etc without owing royalties.

You can set Calls of Duty in WW2 without having to explain who is battling whom. The context is already understood, and there's always going to be a built-in incentive to use a royalty-free, established setting.