Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm cross posting this here because it just might be the most thourough misunderstanding of both audio and networking ever recorded

Basically dude gets a video doorbell and it makes audio streaming stutter on his wifi. The obvious solution would be to run ethernet for stuff you don't want dropoputs on. And he kind of does:

quote:

Below is a list of equipment for a basic setup:

1.2x TP-LINK MC200L Gigabit Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M multi-mode fiber, up to 550m/1800ft.
2.2x TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000-Base 850nM MMF LC/LC optical transceivers.
3.Cat 6 Ethernet cables. (I use Shunyata Research Venom as a minimum spec Ethernet cable; Shunyata Alpha or Sigma Ethernet cables will deliver notably improved audio quality.) The number required is system-dependent.
4.Tripp-Lite Duplex Multimode OM-1 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable (LC/LC termination). The length will vary with your application, but the fiber optic cable is inexpensive. For example, 30 meters costs approximately $40.
5.2x 4.5W Jameco Reliapro AC-to-DC Regulated Linear Wall Adapter 9 Volt, PN:1953639
6.Optional Cisco WS-C2960L-8TS-LL Catalyst Ethernet Switch (8-port).

Here are the steps to connect a basic fiber optical network:

1.Connect your music server/NUC/Roon Core to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Router to the Ethernet switch.
3.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the fiber media convertor.
4.Connect the optical-fiber patch cable from the upstream FMC to the downstream FMC 2 that will connect to the streamer or network bridge (length/run will depend on your setup and application).
5.Connect Ethernet cable from the downstream FMC to the streamer or network bridge.
:catstare:

quote:

Putting my scientist hat on, I went into full research mode and started reading everything I could find about digital streaming using copper Ethernent versus optical fiber. Here’s what I learned.

Consumer-grade computers contribute significant high-bandwidth RF and impulse noise from their CPUs and GPUs that audibly impacts and degrades the sound quality of a stereo system. Additionally, this high-bandwidth noise can be picked up by many speaker cables (most of which are unshielded for sound engineering reasons), which literally function as antennas for high-bandwidth noise components that are then fed backwards into the power amplifier, to be amplified as noise. Moreover, any smart devices in the home (mobile phones, Wi-Fi routers, tablets, non-audio computers, video doorbells, thermostats) also contribute to the high-bandwidth RF and impulse noise in listening rooms. Consequently, one of the most significant things you can do to improve your digital audio system is to move any computer-based music servers (laptops, Mac Minis, Intel NUCs, etc.) out of the audio rack and well away from the main system, as these devices are very dirty with respect to the noise they create. The inverse-square law pays big dividends here.

The “el cheapo” clocks in consumer-grade cable modems, network routers, Ethernet switches, and fiber media converters also contribute notable clock phase noise to the analog square wave voltages that actually comprise the digital bitstream, and the more of these devices in the configuration, the more the original signal is degraded.
:staredog:

quote:

The purpose of using optical fiber and networking devices with better clocks and power supplies is to reduce sources of noise and improve timing of bitstreams. It was originally thought that digital sources and connections were impervious to the effect of noise on audio quality; after all, they’re just 1’s and 0’s, right? What can go wrong? Well, it turns out that bitstreams are not composed of 1’s and 0’s; that is only how the data comprising the music file is encoded. What is actually transmitted from server to DAC are analog square wave voltages. As result, it turns out that…everything matters.

In my home network and system, adding the FMCs and a run of optical fiber from my router to the downstream network bridge improved the sound of my digital streaming system in notable ways. The noise floor was appreciably lower, which allowed me to hear more deeply into the music. Interestingly, I could lower the volume setting on the preamp, yet still hear as much detail and musical information as I could at louder levels. Compared to Wi-Fi or a long run of generic copper Ethernet, the soundstage was also notably more spacious, open, and airy-sounding with improved focus on individual instruments and voices. On the whole, the overall presentation was a notably more lifelike and natural-sounding digital streaming system.

The advent of the Sonore OpticalModule in the market around this time provided yet another audible level of improvement with a fiber-optic-based network. The higher-specification clock (crystal oscillator) and power supply of the OpticalModule provides improved timing and lowers the noise floor more than generic FMCs, so you get a lot less of the bad stuff and lot more of the good stuff described above. Power the OpticalModule with a good linear power supply, e.g., an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, and you’ll effectively have a state-of-the-art network system for digital streaming that will be clean, quiet, transparent, and lifelike.
:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
"The noise floor was appreciably lower, which allowed me to hear more deeply into the music. "

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
could have gotten the same results by hanging up some magic rocks and elevating all his power cables

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nerds on the whole need more fiber but that's not what i'm talking about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I'm cross posting this here because it just might be the most thourough misunderstanding of both audio and networking ever recorded

Basically dude gets a video doorbell and it makes audio streaming stutter on his wifi. The obvious solution would be to run ethernet for stuff you don't want dropoputs on. And he kind of does:

:catstare:

:staredog:

:dogbutton:

how are these people even real?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

how are these people even real?
not only is this guy real it's his actual job he gets paid for to write stuff like this

the how is a lot of companies that sell dumb magic woo products to suckers depend on outlets like this to tell people they actually work. the problem is that if you do it long enough you start believing

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if they're complaining about lovely clock sources has someone started selling a GPS Disciplined Oscillator to audiophile nerds yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jimmy Carter posted:

if they're complaining about lovely clock sources has someone started selling a GPS Disciplined Oscillator to audiophile nerds yet

gently caress that's good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol at thinking a crystal oscillator is a high quality clock source

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welp

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_ref_10.php

quote:

"As soon as you set up the REF10 with the MC-3+USB it's like you're in a totally different world: no more noise, lower distortion, better dynamic range, extended frequency response, and improved details." – Kwok Yan, FeverSound.com

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CSACs for audiophiles. gonna just dropship em from digikey at a 10x markup

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

omg they actually bad mouth atomic clocks as not being up to audiophile standards

nevermind that the definition of the second is based on caesium clocks

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
im going to go to bed thinking of ways to make a cryptocurrency that purportedly improves the listening experience

i wont even have to market the ico, audiophiles will just convince themselves that it works and pay through the nose

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

no matter how evil and rotten you think you are, NONE of us here are poo poo enough to sell any of our audiophile snakeoil ideas. if we were, we'd already be doing it by now.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
love too re-clock my DACs for deeper sound experience

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its impossible to beat shakti stones for pure grift tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

its impossible to beat shakti stones for pure grift tho

I’d guess you are not yet familiar with the blackbody ambient field conditioner

just keep scrolling, it gets more insane the further down the page you make it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

they won’t lay fibre to my non-farm :mad:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
will they lay fiber to your actual-farm?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my what?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

place of animal husbandry

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the abattoir

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

I’d guess you are not yet familiar with the blackbody ambient field conditioner

just keep scrolling, it gets more insane the further down the page you make it

holy poo poo lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
loving loooollll

When we set up a Blackbody, tune it to the parallel of our closest pole's axis, and ground it, we do our small part to tame the subtly disturbing effects of the Sun's activity locally, in order that the music be liberated from unwanted noise coming in from the cosmos. In fact it is more likely that the direct influence of gentler daily, non-destructive cosmic weather on our local circuitry is more influential to sonic quality than that induced by vast stretches of the city's power supply wiring. Knowledge about the natural attenuation of high frequencies over a distance of any wire supports this train of thought. It's the same well established “last meter is most influential” argument, just transposed to include the immediate local atmosphere.

Seen in this way, the Blackbody can be considered a type of highly specialized umbrella to protect our sensitive circuitry from the continuously varying subtle cosmic shower of particles and rays.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

$836 each

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

they won’t lay fibre to my non-farm :mad:

how far off is the node? get yourself a mini excavator and go to town

every farm should have one anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the question isn't "can you come up with a dumb bullshit product that does nothing?" it's "can you keep a straight face while you sell said product at trade shows, dealer events, press interviews, etc. ? can you cut deals with other vendors to use your product in their demo suite?are you willing to spend the entirety of your life hanging out with dudes aged 40-70 in ugly shirts?"
there's a bulk discount though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that actually seems pretty cheap for audiophile voodoo garbage

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

yeah, it's not exactly up there with the $4k/ft speaker cables, or the $8k block of wood with a power cable running through it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The_Franz posted:

that actually seems pretty cheap for audiophile voodoo garbage

they want you to buy several.

Limited time Early Bird launch offer! Only until the timer runs out!
Buy 4 – get 1 free
Buy 8 – get 2 free
Buy 12 – get 3 free

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
lol https://www.lessloss.com/firewall-module-p-216.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hope the dad that makes those in his wood shop is paying off a really nice boat with the purchases. grift em.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweevo posted:

yeah, it's not exactly up there with the $4k/ft speaker cables, or the $8k block of wood with a power cable running through it

the materials may be cheap, but you're paying for the design and the story to go along with it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
so you're saying that website is audiophile story time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are huge parallels between audiophile poo poo and startup culture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh god I just remembered the audiophile grounding system that is literally a box of rocks I must find it

e: found it! I present the entreq signal grounding box

the great thing about this is instead of doing nothing like most of these the cable ends up acting like an antenna and fucks the noise floor

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/entreq-signal-grounding-preliminary-measurements.476/page-2

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2020

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Tankakern posted:

how far off is the node? get yourself a mini excavator and go to town

every farm should have one anyway

ours is not a mini it’s 12 tonne because this is not a farm

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
guys its fine if your system doesnt sound any better after spending thousands on our products its just burn in

even if it sounds worse thats fine, just give it time (speculative)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

guys its fine if your system doesnt sound any better after spending thousands on our products its just burn in

even if it sounds worse thats fine, just give it time (speculative)

I'm the bit where it goes backwards in time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
"Besides the fact that ordinary letter paper makes a mediocre speaker diaphragm compared to beryllium," Harry said, critically,
"and that these 'Howlers' don't even form a basic horn, much less a proper LeCleach shape, taking into the account the local inclination angle of the Earth's magnetic flux would make them notably more spacious, open, and airy-sounding with improved focus on individual instruments and voices"
"But Harry, they work by magic", objected Hermione, repeating mindlessly what their professors had told them.
"Magic is no substitute for critical listening," Harry said, rationally, "and a properly trained ear can pick up on nuances finer than any magical or scientific instrument ever could."
"Now about this self-shredding business - how is anyone supposed to get the proper 100 hours of burn-in