Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

i love audiophile woo, it always gets a good laugh outta me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

relative_q posted:

i love audiophile woo, it always gets a good laugh outta me

https://thefpl.us/episode/138

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

blows me away I can get a 5km SFP for like $10 from fs.com
thank you capitalism

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SO DEMANDING posted:

no matter how evil and rotten you think you are, NONE of us here are poo poo enough to sell any of our audiophile snakeoil ideas. if we were, we'd already be doing it by now.

what if i'm just really lazy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

no matter how evil and rotten you think you are, NONE of us here are poo poo enough to sell any of our audiophile snakeoil ideas. if we were, we'd already be doing it by now.

the hard part is that you can't just put rocks from the yard in a bag and make a web page, you need to spend lots of time in the belly of the beast building a rapport with the crazy people and making up your own brand of audiophile alchemy before they will pay $1000 for a bag of gravel from your driveway

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I used to work in a place that sold secondhand hifi gear and cameras. At that time I was more credulous and spergier about audio in general as I was djing and had no kids or responsibilities so could let my autism flag fly

I got friendly with lots of the regulars and we used to dork out in a low key way about the gear that would come in. Nakamichi tape decks, Rega rekkid players, electrostatic speakers, that sort of poo poo. I was chatting away to a genial middle aged hifi dork one day, and somehow it came up that I used some $50 cables or something to connect my cd player to my amp. He got really mad/sad and his face filled with emotion while he basically bitched me out in the store while he went on and about his $3k cables or some poo poo

That’s my story of audiophile interaction in the early 2000s

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thanks

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i wish i had no scruples, because selling coat hanger wire as $4k speaker cable or white paint as $8k "listening room perimeter treatment for total sonic neutrality" seems like such a sweet gig

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
picturing total sonic neutrality as sonic the hedgehog holding a Swiss flag

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

what do audiophiles listen to on their sick sound systems

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

lovely vinyl LPs they bought 40 years ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pointsofdata posted:

1927 racist horny jazz songs recorded on wax cylinder and transferred to vinyl, then tape, then CD, then flac

it's pure and unmolested audio, you see

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

pointsofdata posted:

marco arment listens to phish lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

aja by steely dan
brothers in arms by dire straights
diana krall
rubber soul by the beatles
jazz that was recorded mono in a basement on a homemade mixing board
pipe organ if they want to test bass

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

pointsofdata posted:

dark side of the moon, I have never seen an album that was played more by these idiots than that one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RustyKnight posted:

dark side of the moon, I have never seen an album that was played more by these idiots than that one

I really want to know why dark side of the moon became the go-to for audiophile bros

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
dork side of the moon

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
every time the audiophile grift thread comes up I pitch the idea of selling interconnect lube for the rca jacks. You just do a song and dance about how the microscopic peaks and valleys in even a nice machined surface act as tiny capacitors, robbing you of your bright highs, profound lows and creamy middles, and tell them your special audiophile conductive goo with cryogenicly treated colloidial silver will get rid of all those problems.

the advantage to this is they will 100% get loving nasty silver grease all over everything and it'll stain

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

the advantage to this is they will 100% get loving nasty silver grease all over everything and it'll stain

the stains becomes a warning

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

rotor posted:

creamy middles

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

pointsofdata posted:

insanely rich people buy the original Beatles master tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWHPy9zdGs

(warning: intense boomer energy in this video)

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

insanely rich people buy the original Beatles master tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWHPy9zdGs

(warning: intense boomer energy in this video)

Imagine getting decent sound system and playing loving Beatles, like 8k tv just to watch some lovely direct to video 80s movie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RustyKnight posted:

Imagine getting decent sound system and playing loving Beatles, like 8k tv just to watch some lovely direct to video 80s movie

its not about the music, it's straining to listen for Ringo saying "I hate these guys so much" under his breath

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
out of all the things i know in music, my near thirty years of playing and being an active listener, reading endless books, magazine articles and website articles about it, there is nothing, NOTHING i hate more than people that treat rare beatles mixes and outtakes as some grail of rock and roll.

god i hate that band and everything that people have made them into SO MUCH

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a lot of the most insufferable audiophiles like to harp on the ideal of your home system should be to reproduce the exact experience of a live performance [pretty sure these dudes only listen to jazz and classical] so even stuff like late beatles with all the studio tricks is anathema to them, let alone the 55 years of music production since then

Jonny 290 posted:

out of all the things i know in music, my near thirty years of playing and being an active listener, reading endless books, magazine articles and website articles about it, there is nothing, NOTHING i hate more than people that treat rare beatles mixes and outtakes as some grail of rock and roll.

god i hate that band and everything that people have made them into SO MUCH
there's this guy I follow on instagram who's generally a good human except he buys like every single new beatles release there is on every format, I think he even owns the apple-shaped USB drive with bad mp3s on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is not to say that the beatles were not influential and shaped many things. but 95% of their music was throwaway album filler that they wrote on cocktail napkins fifteen minutes before tape rolled

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually the beatles are good, calm down jonny

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

there are some good beatles songs - enough for maybe two albums worth

then there are 10 albums worth of dumb novelty songs and experimental drivel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ever since my spouse moved out I don't get angry or yell any more. There's no need to tell me to "calm down." Especially when i'm making correct observations, like the ones I just did about the quality of the Beatles' output

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the beatles really weren't very good at all and neither were the rolling stones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Bout to drop a ramones take in a second. yall sittin down?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Bout to drop a ramones take in a second. yall sittin down?

boy you better not

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah. carry that take in carefully jonny

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Ever since my spouse moved out I don't get angry or yell any more. There's no need to tell me to "calm down." Especially when i'm making correct observations, like the ones I just did about the quality of the Beatles' output

put down the gun, sir

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

the beatles really weren't very good at all and neither were the rolling stones

rolling stones are indeed p. bad in general but the beatles made lots of good music. boomers/nerds of course blew them up out of all proportion but cest la vie

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’m very curious what these guys think recording studios are like. I’ve never been in one but I image they don’t use miles of cord that goes for $4k/meter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sorry, forgot to follow up

Ramones are terrible

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
how much would it cost for Andrew W.K. masters?

I want to use every last watt in my amplifier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

henry rollins has 6 figure wilson speakers that he uses to listen to punk 7” most of which were recorded on a cassette 4 track or similar quality equipment