Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
I got a RadRunner recently as I thought I'd be commuting on it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a decent grocery/home depot runner, but it's not perfect. The single gear means its literally impossible to move if the battery dies and I'm constantly adjusting the brakes. Like, every time I get on the bike I have to adjust the brakes.

But it looks cool and goes zoom. I get looks and complements everywhere I go.

I'd love to get a Riese & Müller but who's got $8k to drop on a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

RadRunner is good :hfive: Glad I'm not the only one bothered by the brakes. It's unbelievable how unstable the alignment on those things seems to be. I don't mind the single-gear thing but I'm diligent to the point of paranoia about my battery levels, so I don't expect to get caught out by that alone anyway

Maybe it's the cheap fastening hardware they use. I've rounded or stripped two or three hex bolts in the couple months I've had it.

(e) Oh, here's the most first-world-problems grievance ever: i've got four water bottles and that cupholder is microns too small for all of them :argh:

Ah yeah, the cheap hardware was annoying to deal with.

Apparently Ikea sells a water bottle that fits it perfectly.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Extremely good little bichael. I wonder if it would be a pain to swap your brakes out with something decent.

TY

I might look at an upgrade next year, if it hasn't been stolen by then. I have to park on the sidewalk outside my apartment, so I feel like it's only a matter of time...

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

That also sucks. What kind of lock are you using?

I've got an abus chain through the frame. I can't use a ulock because it interferes with the cover that I put over the bike. I hoping the cover makes it more anonymous and less likely for someone to mess with it.

We'll see how it goes. It's covered by my insurance so at least there's that.

Pic of my beautiful baby on the sidewalk:

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Does anyone have insurance for the bike? If so, which provider did you choose? Turns out my condo policy doesn't cover electric bikes.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

frogbs posted:

I'm looking for a 20"-26" wheeled e-bike with a rear rack, rear derailleur, disc brakes, without a suspension fork, that looks more like a city bike/commuter. I found this one from 'Macwheel' on amazon, but it doesn't have disc brakes and am a little leery of buying something like that from an unknown brand : https://www.amazon.com/Macwheel-Ele...27576205&sr=8-3

The Blix Aveny looks pretty perfect, but is around $1700. Is that about the price for this kind of bike if I want some amount of service/parts availability? https://blixbike.com/products/aveny-electric-city-bike

I haven't seen a quality name brand ebike for less than $1k.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radcity-electric-commuter-bike

I have a Rad Runner and it's been pretty decent, quality wise. Some complaints about the bolts they use, but it's all aluminum so I kind of expected that.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Jonny Quest posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Blix? I'm looking for a sub-$3000 long-tail cargo bike and my options are basically the Blix Packa Genie and Radwagon 4. I'm not thrilled with Rad's use of proprietary wheels and I'm sure they're both using the same geared hub motor. The Packa Genie is a bit new and I see a 2 year old Gen 1 Packa for sale near by in "non working condition" which again has me concerned about longevity.

Rad uses Bafang motors, where's Blix seems to use Shengyi. Not sure what, if any, technical difference between them.

Are you just worried about not being able to find replacement tires and tubes later on, with the weird size?

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

Radrunner plus received and put together! Got the front basket and the yep child seat, and still need to get a clamp so I can move my light into my handle bar and I'll be done. I don't think this is ebike specific, but my only issue so far is my rear brake lever is really sluggish, almost like it's in too much tension. Squeezing it takes a lot of force and it doesn't smoothly snap back after release. How do I go about adjusting this?

Is the brake cable ok? I had an issue like that and it turns out the cable was fraying and getting stuck in the sheath.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Is there a bike gear thread? I need recommendation on gloves for the upcoming winter (Chicago, commuting, all weather) and this is the only thread I have bookmarked... Search is failing me.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

I was looking at this, too, but it was out of stock for something like 6 months so I ended up 'settling' for the roadrunner plus. It's a little less unwieldy due to the shorter length and (though still kind of heavy) and can seat one baby just fine, but I miss out on the cargo capacity of my two pannier bags on my old bike. It is definitely a nice purchase and had saved us from having to buy a second car for the near future so definitely worth it.

I made some slight modifications to my radrunner so I can use two panniers and their large basket. I can get you a parts list later, if you want.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

Rad dominates Seattle's ebike usage right now, with the only thing putting a dent in it is Amazon's recent subsidized Van Moof leases.

Anyone know of talk about where exactly things will be with batteries a decade down the road? Thinking specifically battery degradation and replacement. If they cut manufacture of batteries that fit my bike, it'd turn it into just a pretty cumbersome acoustic bike as the battery holds less and less of a charge.

Getting the name-brand parts is going to become a problem down the line. Rad, for instance, introduced a new battery type with the latest radcity model. It's more integrated into the tube, like some of the other manufacturers are doing.

Hopefully third parties will keep whichever form factor you use alive for as long as you use it. I have a 15 year old DSLR that I can still get batteries for on Amazon, so I just have to hope that I'll be able to get a replacement rad battery when I need it. Either that or make some sort of adapter or replacement battery mount system.

Now that I say that, I realize that it would actually just take a replacement battery mount to switch my bike to a new battery system. As long as the voltage is correct, the controller doesn't care where the electricity is coming from....

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

Sure i'd love that. Not sure if it will also work with the child carrier but I'm assuming it would. If you have PM I can send your a note

Clamps: https://www.mcmaster.com/2534T31/

Rubber sheets to shim the clamps with and prevent them from rotating freely: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018H9CCPG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Spacers to raise the basket up off the frame. This gives clearance for the clamps. I ended up ordering a couple varieties of this style and I don't recall whether this was the one I ended up going with or not. I think the ones I have have about 1.5 inch of clearance:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816NDPVF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The silver pipe is either 1/2" or 3/4" EMT conduit from the hardware store. I don't recall which size I ended up with. In any case, 1" is too large for the clips on my bags. It's easy enough to cut down with a hacksaw.

I also had to get some longer bolts to secure the basket down with. It's surprisingly hard to find metric hardware at the store. I think I ended up getting bolts, washers, and locking nylon nuts from McMaster as well.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Flying_Crab posted:

bar mitts/pogies are unparalleled and I've never found a glove that is suitable to keep my hands warm up here in Milwaukee winter riding, which is basically the same as Chicago weather wise...

the best part about them is I ride in the winter either with no gloves (mitts alone are good to the mid 20s probably) or with really thin light gloves.

I got some bar mitts and they're amazing. Also got a stupidly bright headlight that I'm pretty happy with.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
I got a Nitecore BR25 and it's absolutely amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y66CCL4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WCFEYRYN3KEP34H0NNW1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Speaking of R&M, I have had my eye on their Multicharger for a couple years now. It's got all the bells and whistles that I'd want on a bike, but are they worth the money? The Tern HSD also has everything I am looking for, but it's $3k less...

I currently have a Radrunner and, while I like it a lot, I have some quality issues with it. Plus I definitely need gears and I think it's like to have a middrive while I'm at it.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Ya, I've had shops refuse to touch my Radrunner at all. They've been burned by other ebikes in the past and they won't work on them unless they sell them in the store. Other shops seem fine taking care of the normal bike components though. I luckily haven't had to deal with any electronics problems yet.

Speaking of proprietary bits on rad, I ran into an issue recently like that. The chain tensioner is bolted to the bike using an M10 screw with a 1.0mm pitch. I stripped the hell out of that bolt, taking the rear wheel off for yet another flat. Turns out that's a pretty rare pitch for that size bolt. I wasn't able to find a replacement in aluminum or titanium. I ended up with zinc coated steel and I'm hoping the galvanic whatever doesn't destroy that component any time soon.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

I'm shopping for something to use instead of my lovely old truck for my commute once or twice a week, 30 miles both ways with less than 600 feet of elevation gain. Budget of not much over $2000. Something that could handle gravel/dirt roads, and I really like a retro moped look. I've been considering the RadRunner 2/+, Juiced Scorpion X or something from Hemiway but I'd really like to buy something that will last and I can't find much reliable info about how any of these do after a significant amount of mileage. Is that unrealistic at this price point? Being able to carry some cargo and having good range is a lot more important to me than speed.

I'll endorse the RadRunner. I have the original version that I mostly use for grocery shopping. I routinely exceed the weight capacity and nothing has complained.... Yet.....

With that bike in gravel, you'll definitely want the gears on the plus model and probably some after market shocks. You can also get a hydraulic brake set on AliExpress for less than $100. 30 miles is close to the end of the battery range, so be prepared to bring a charger with you.

Most of the bits on the bike are pretty standard and you can easily replace them with after market stuff when they brake. The only thing I ran into recently that was weird (on the RR original) is that the chain tensioner is held in by an M10x1mm bolt. It's a fine thread that I just wasn't able to locate a replacement for (in aluminum or titanium). Ended up getting the replacement from Rad but it took a while.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Hdip posted:

https://www.mcmaster.com/ Is where I go to fulfill all my odd bolt needs.

Yep, love McMaster. I can find M10x1.5 and M10x1.25 in aluminum, but nothing finer. There were some steel bolts available, but I worry about galvanic corrosion, since the frame is aluminum.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Grumio posted:

I was just about to bite the bullet on the RadCity when a family friend offered me their barely-used RadRunner for a steal. Not quite what I had in mind but it saves me a whole bundle of money, it'll work well for a 30 min commute and I like all the customization options. Will definitely look at getting some hydraulic brakes; any recommendations? Heard someone recommend Juintech calipers from Bolton ebikes

I got the hydraulic calipers from Bolton and hated them. Ended up with this instead and couldn't be happier.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000339838869.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
It took me maybe an hour to replace the stock Radrunner brakes with those hydraulic ones and get them tweaked. I didn't find it difficult or time consuming to route the lines in the frame, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
In my experience, biking on my class 2, it takes about as long as Google says (in Chicago). I do hit a lot of stoplights though. I think that's a bigger impact than raw speed.

Of course I also get passed by acoustic bikes all the time so maybe I'm just slow.