Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This year I bought my first e-bike. A rad city 5+ and I love it! It was a great introductory bike and I've used it nearly every weekend to do long distance rides around the Seattle area and am starting to use it to replace my commute to the office.

However, I'm already wanting to upgrade since I know the experience can be improved beyond what radpower can offer: e.g. mid drive with a carbon belt.

As a result this weekend I test rode a Riese and Muller Nevo 3 and yeah... that's definitely a superior experience (for like 2-3 times the cost). So next year when a health benefit stipend through my job resets I'm going to put a deposit for the Nevo 4 which should be out in Germany by this coming March and in the USA by May (just in time for my bday)

I'm curious though if there are any other mid-drive + carbon belt bikes I should try out before settling in this one. I looked into evelo because they seemingly have all the same qualities but you can also get them with a throttle all at a cheaper price. However looking at reviews it seems they have a notoriously bad service record. 😞

Any thoughts of what else I should look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I don't mind other recommendations. As far as something that is comparable to a Riese and Muller I'm finding the Gazelle C380+ HMB

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/...-grey&frame=mid

The specialized turbo also looks good and a few bike shops in my area carry them so that might help out a bit with concerns around available support.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hdip posted:

Priority current is sold through a Costco.com deal if you have a Costco card. I have a kids bike from them with the belt drive and it’s been great.

evil_bunnY posted:

Get a multitinker for maximum weird+useful

That seems to be a no-name motor?

Yeah that's the challenge here. My concern with any proprietary parts with a bike that doesn't have its own shop and/or local presence in my area makes me nervous regarding support. This is why I'm focusing on bikes that standardize on the bosch mid-drive and battery system. There are many shops in my area which service bikes with this system that would make them an easy choice due to the sheer ubiquity of support. Also for the price of the priority current I'm shocked it doesn't have any front suspension.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I did a test ride of the Gazelle C380. Really nice, little bumpier than the R&M Nevo with less in terms of suspension and thinner, higher-pressure tires (which I like), but it felt zippier and less sluggish despite going the same speeds. Shifting on the enviolo felt very intuitive even more so than the electric shifting with a rholoff hub on some bike models I tried.

The only detractor is that both it and the + model only have 500wh batteries instead of the 625 wh you can get with R&M bikes. However, the C380+ is half what the Nevo 4 would cost me next year so it's the serious contender for what I want.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That gazelle looks p good, and the nova doesn't sounds like it's twice the bike.

I managed to try the Gazelle C380 plus and really enjoyed it, definitely worth the few hundred bucks over the regular C380 model. The extra speed was noticeable and what was the real big selling point: it was light as hell. Very easy to pick up and move around as opposed to most e-bikes I've come in contact with.

Drawback #1: only comes with a 500wh battery. This has me a bit concerned because my ultimate goal is to see if I can make it to say from Kirkland, WA to the end of the burke gilman trail and back, thus nearly eliminating the use of my car when I want to crossover from the eastside into seattle for a wide variety of typical trips I make. It could be done on 500wh but only with low pedal assist. On the flipside the Nevo 4 will likely be outfitted with the bosch smart system which (although not confirmed for this model) could have a new 750wh battery which will greatly extend the range of even the current model.

Drawback #2: the c380+ is already almost 2 years old and may get upgraded next year so maybe it would be worth it to wait and see.

Pros: Bosch CX Gen 4 motor High Speed, gates carbon belt drive, enviolo hub, good front suspension, narrow tires (not a fan of fat tires, they feel too mushy and sluggish), very light weight frame compared to all other ebikes I've tested except the Trek Allant 9.9s+

Major pro: half the cost of an R&M bike with the same / similar configuration.

Things I've determined about some of the recent bikes I've test ridden:

1. Mid-drives are very rewarding and really do have a more 'natural' bike feel although the crank does feel like it has more resistance, and you'll feel it in your calves.
2. Not having a throttle like I do on my current ebike takes some getting used to, especially if you're stopped at the near crest of a steep hill. That's when a throttle is really helpful.
3. I'm on the fence on whether or not I like the experience of the enviolo hub vs a traditional derailleur and cassette. On one hand the enviolo makes it easier to simple change gears at a dead stop and it's intuitive, but I do miss the instant shifting WHILE pedaling that a traditional derailleur and casette gives you. For the belt+enviolo, you have to let off the pedals in order to shift the gearing.

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 5, 2022

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Whelp I just upgraded from the RadCity 5 plus to an R&M Nevo4. After spending that kind of money I can safely say I'm hooked

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That looks SO heavy.

It's only 64 lbs which is the same weight as the rad city. It just looks heavier but the weight is much better distributed and is easier to lift onto a rack.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm having difficulties selling off my radcity 5 plus to make room in my garage for the nevo4. I would have thought a reduced cost slightly used decent brand ebike would have gotten more hits 😞

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Good point I took 500 off so selling at 1500 I might have to go lower although it is still less than a year old so still within warranty (and this fact is advertised).

Wonder what I should lower it to and still make it worth my whole to just not gift it out to a friend

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2023

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

My radcity 5 finally sold at $1300. So nice I can get the space in my tiny condo garage for the R&M Nevo4. I just have to wait another week and sadly... no more ebike until then. :-(

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Starting to get pre-buyer's remorse and wondering if I should have gotten the R&M Roadster instead. I just really wanted that 750wh battery and the roadster didn't have it. :-(

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Bike shop is letting me borrow a R&M Delite Rohloff G14 HS until my new one arrives. Pretty sweet

G-III fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 26, 2023

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Radpower was my first ebike but at the end of the day I wish I had done more research before buying from them. For just a bit more I could have bought a gazelle or specialized from a local shop and had.superior bike with superior equipment.

Radpower was great at being an introduction and making me want MORE out of the experience.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally got my Nevo 4

Feels good.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Barry posted:

Looks great, how's it ride?

Sadly after 80 miles of riding I need to take it back to the shop because I'm having severe issues with it:

1. EXTREME BATTERY DRAIN: despite having a 750 wh battery this thing chews through battery even on low pedal assist. Something is clearly up because this doesn't even get the minimum advertised range of 49 miles with that capacity at full charge.

2. The pedaling is way too stiff to maintain speed. I've tested other bikes with enviolo hubs and they weren't this hard to peddle, including a Nevo 3. Either the bike in this configuration is too heavy, the IGH isn't calibrated right, or there's something else wrong adding additional friction.

If these issues can't be resolved I'll probably have to eat a restocking fee and get something else. :-(

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any reason to get a class 3 over 2? Also, is it feasible to ride with a (adult) passenger?

As someone who just went from Class 2 to Class 3 there are a lot of reasons:

1. a class 3 with no throttle is likely going to be a mid-drive with a torque sensor where a good number of class 2 ebikes are hub motors with just cadence sensors
2. mid-drives can use the mechanical advantage of your bike's gearing to do a better job at climbing hills with more speed
3. mid-drives with torque sensors tend to feel more like riding an actual bike as it responds to the amount of force you put on the pedals. It's a different feel and one that I find more rewarding
4. class 3 will have a bit more acceleration to reach top speed (in my experience)

If you have a good mid-drive and something like a internally geared hub, you can totally replace the need for a throttle at a dead stop by simply shifting to the lowest gear and upping the pedal assist. As soon as you put a little bit of torque on the pedals you'll rocket out of the stop fairly easily. The pedals become your throttle in this scenario.

I cannot however speak to the experience of hauling an adult passenger

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I've been desperately wanting to do a ride around bainbridge island this weekend and I can't because of the goddamn wildfire smoke. :-( (I mean I could if I want to know what it feels like to smoke a pack of cigs in one day)

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Even though I own a Nevo4 I did a test ride of Rad Power's Radster Roadster and it's an impressive bike for the price as well as being a torquey little devil. It's their first class 3 28mph bike with a torque sensor (with throttle assist up to 20mph)

It's lighter than the Rad City 5, launches off from a dead stop very quickly, and has higher quality Shimano shifters this time around. I was fairly impressed

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

lol don’t give rad power money

Like I said, I already own a Nevo4 although my previous rad city 5 was an alright bike. I live in Seattle and Rad Power's dealership is right next to the Obec brewery my friend works at so kinda easy to just walk on over and give whatever they got a try. Personally if I had to do my most recent purchase over again with perfect knowledge I would have waited 6 more months and gotten the Gazelle Eclipse C380+ HMB. All the features and gear of the Nevo4 but $3k less.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/...frame=frame-low