Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stephenthinkpad posted:

But what do you mean "then the battery", the battery has a power switch independent of the bike switch?

That not terribly unusual, I don't think. My battery has three states: on/locked to the bike, locked to the bike but no power, and unlocked/power off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nessus posted:

Exciting Rad news, the motor just sort of... stopped responding for a moment. Cycling the power on the bicycle after a brief stop fixed it and it seemed fine. Is this sort of thing normal or a worrying portent of BICYCLE DEATH?

Might also wiggle your cable connections and make sure they're secure. I've been getting the occasional error 30 caused by a lovely display connection (I think I've fixed it for now by bending out the pins a bit for a more secure connection), and when that happens I sometimes have to tap the brake levers after powering it back up to get the motor going again.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hollismason posted:

Realistically how long of a commute in a city could a 4 mile trip be on a electric bike. Google tells me 30 minutes but I think it should be shorter.

My 4.5 mile commute is ~20-30 minutes depending on the day, but my route has a few intersections where blowing a light would be suicidal, and sometimes I have to wait for a bridge.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

KC Metro bus racks are limited to 45lbs, iirc, and many ebikes blow way past that.

You can find lighter ebikes, but you will often spend for it (carbon frames ain't cheap) and it will probably mean an integrated battery. Specialized SL models come to mind.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ham Equity posted:

I know I've said "Seattle" multiple times, but we do get a bit of rain here, and I'm wondering if that's anything to be concerned about?

Fellow Seattle resident here. I don't think light rain is a big deal most of the time (fenders are a must, however), but in the winter months I'll often just take the bus rather than get soaked. I rode home (~5 miles) in sleet a couple times last winter because I misjudged the forecast, and that was goddamn miserable.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I ride here year round and it's only possible with the ebike. If it's raining I'm covered head to toe in waterproof gear except for my eyes. When I get to home/work I strip off the outer waterproof layer, change shoes, and I'm good to go. If it were a regular bike I'd be drenched in sweat.

I'll look like a crazy person if I have to stop for groceries or something though since I just leave the gear on.

In some ways I prefer to ride in the rain since there are almost no other cyclists and way less pedestrians.

Oh yeah, I was doing that in jeans and just carrying a change of clothes in my pack (which has a good rain cover itself). I should probably look into getting some actual rain gear for biking, lol.

You're not kidding about the difference in traffic during the rain, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have a Suntour SP12 on my Radmission and it has literally saved my rear end on Seattle's lovely roads.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Twerk from Home posted:

Are e-bike motors rated for peak power or continuous power?

Usually both, but you often only get one of those numbers from the company selling the bike. If you're lucky, they'll even tell you which one!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Twerk from Home posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/08/10/shared-micromobility-firm-veo-launches-retail-seated-scooter/

Why are all of the scooters with a seat universally complete dogshit? I feel like they should be taking the pedals off an ebike, which doesn't seem that hard, but instead we get this garbage:

Drums? Drums!?! And for $3,500!

That is one of their ebikes with the pedals removed, lmao. There's a ton of their rental "bikes" littering the streets here and the silhouette is instantly recognizable.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hackers film 1995 posted:

or just get a slim plate hex wrench. sucks to buy a tool, but they are handy for tight spots.

My Radmission actually came with one of these as part of the little toolkit they give you with it. Even had a sticker on it saying it's for brake pad adjustment.

I don't actually use it because the motor on the Radmission is small enough to not block adjustment from the other side.

Boot and Rally posted:

I would also need better lights because I'd be riding in pitch black.

If you're still using the stock headlight, the upgraded one from Rad is way, waaaaay better.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Twerk from Home posted:

All these emmos look like law-abiding class 2 electric bicycles, with a top speed of 32kph and good to go on MUPs and bike paths and such.

Doesn't look like they have pedals, which may impact bike path legality depending on local laws. I'm pretty sure that out here (Washington state) they'd need to be registered like a moped and restricted/taxed accordingly. If they can do more than 30mph, they're considered motorcycles out here.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

More confident, sure, but still much prefer to stick to dedicated bike paths/lanes where possible.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Might just need a conditioning cycle. Check your manual, mine says to let it sit on the charger overnight (or ~12 hours), use it a bit the next day, then repeat two more times.

If it's going to sit unused for extended periods in the future, store it around 50-70% charge and check on it every couple weeks or so to make sure it's not dropping to zero (putting it on to charge again for a bit if needed).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have the NYC chain and have had some rust issues with the lock which makes unlocking it a pain. The chain is also huge and you'll want a decently sized bag of some variety to stow it, because you sure aren't going to be wrapping it around the frame.

Anyone who wants to steal the bike is gonna have to make a hell of a lot of noise to do so, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Splode posted:

Rear and front drive also have the advantage that if you also have a throttle, you can have a catastrophic drivetrain failure (like losing your chain, for example) and still ride home.

I had my freewheel eat poo poo recently, and having the throttle as a backup until I could get it swapped was a lifesaver.