Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

rndmnmbr posted:

But that was then, and I'm thinking about throwing hundreds of dollars in the trash buying lures only to get outfished by children smart enough to baitfish instead getting back into the game. That being said, this time I want my unicorn rod - fiberglass 7.5'-8', medium-to-slow action spincast rod. I'm a bank fisher, so I want to be able to launch lures into low earth orbit. Is there any manufacturer still making fiberglass rods, or am I heading down the rabbit hole of rolling my own rod?

It's expensive and four inches short of heaven for you :haw:, but the St. Croix "Legend Glass" might fit your bill. You're looking for LGS72MM.

Are you looking for a pure fiberglass rod, or are hybrids on the table? Hybrids open up a lot of options, I think.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

I also crab a bit on the west coast.

It feels pretty brave of you to assume that party boats will be safe by next summer.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Gooch181 posted:

Those are awesome. (I also bet they slay fish)

Dik Hz posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Thief-Obsession-Natural-History/dp/110198161X

So, those old fly patterns are completely ineffective compared to your basic wooly bugger, and purely designed to show off the status of the fly-tier.

This is back from the first page, but I wanted to point out that fly fishing snobs have spent the last fifteen years or so tying themselves up in knots over the idea that literal pieces of janitor mops are dominating over their precious artisanal flies.

https://flylordsmag.com/featured-fly-pattern-the-mop/
https://www.keystoneflyfisher.com/post/three-flies-to-use-when-nobody-s-watching
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/the-mop-fly/152098

From a paywalled WSJ article:

Fly Fishing Renegades Are Cleaning Up—With Kitchen Mops posted:

Standing in a chilly Adirondack river, Lance Egan made a bold move in his bid to win the U.S. National Fly Fishing Championships in June. He tied on the mop fly.

In a tradition-bound sport, where purists lure fish with tiny ersatz insects crafted of feathers and fur, the mop fly doesn’t look much like a bug. In an affront to tradition, it instead looks exactly like what it is: a fuzzy strand cut from a cheap mop and tied to a hook. Mr. Egan uses fluorescent greenish yellow.

For more than a century, the aim of fly-fishing purists has been to woo trout with imitations of the insects they eat—whether olive-hued mayflies floating downstream after mating or emerging midge pupae; never part of a mop.

The catch is fish love the mop fly. “When it works, you roll with it,” says 38-year-old Mr. Egan of Lehi, Utah, a top competitive flyfisher.

Others aren’t biting. “I don’t want to sound, like, arrogant, but I’m almost too proud to fish it,” says Pennsylvania competitive angler Sam Plyler.

Mr. Plyler says the mop fly is great at catching trout, eliciting aggressive, un-trout-like behavior from fish usually content to wait for food to drift their way. In fact, he says, it is too good. The mop fly tilts fly-fishing’s delicate balance between man and trout.

“Where do we draw the line?” Mr. Plyler asks.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Yooper posted:

The tl;dr of it all is there was a tribal twist to the plot that led to the accused basically walking away with no penalty. After probably taking over 100,000 lbs of fish if not more. It wasn't uncommon in the summers to run into gillnets of rotting fish.

Do you know enough details to tell that story? I'm morbidly curious.

Here's what I was able to piece together, following up some leads from your link and being persistent with Google.

1 - The feds realized they had no jurisdiction.
2 - The Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa charged and convicted 3 of the 6 men involved. They were sentenced to ~$15,000 in fines and lifetime forfeiture of their tribal fishing rights.
2.5 - A tribal appeals court overturned that sentence and reduced the 'lifetime forfeiture' to one year, the fine to ~$3350. They did still forfeit their nets and snowmobiles.
3 - The tribe was going to try two other men out of the six the feds identified; I don't know what happened, but I suspect it went similarly.

Does that line up?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ghostnuke posted:

I hate this poo poo, carp are fish too. stop killing them just because they aren't "sportfish"

Carp are invasive in many waters and crowd out native fish both by outcompeting them and messing with the water quality.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

iwentdoodie posted:

Went out about 80 miles into the gulf yesterday from St Pete, not a bad day.

[...]

Weird thing was there were almost no pelagic fish out. We had huge grass lines that were just...empty. closer to shore had some Bonita blowing up, but we only saw one black fin all day (hit flat line, immediately popped it) and some kings that had lockjaw.

Would it have anything to do with the nine tons of fish that died en masse around there just recently?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

idiotsavant posted:

Does color matter at all or just grab some and go

If you have one in your life, bring a small child to help you pick.
( Then take them fishing so they can try them out, naturally. )

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I lost a nice Rapala twitch bait after like three casts the first time using it after it bounced off a dock, the water was nice and clear and I spent like half an hour looking for it and still couldn't find it lol, and that was for like a $13 lure. If it was 50 I'd put a GPS locator on it or something :v:

Skip the in-between steps and figure out how to turn an AirTag into a lure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sickening posted:

Just a tip, if you are person who enjoys high end reels, now is the time to buy. The Yen is way down and has been for a while, you can enjoy as much as a 50% discount from ordering reels from japan. Same for rods and whatever else you like.

Do you have any recommendations for good sources?