Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Extended my stay at the lake for a few days. Waiting for clouds/sunset before bottom fishing for catfish again. It's not glamorous, but sitting by the water drinking beer waiting for something to happen is my favorite kind of fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
My older brother brought his casting net on a fishing trip to the Outer Banks a couple of years ago. After a few days of messing with it I was able to get it about 1/4 open. Hurray.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Seeing stuff like that makes getting skunked or doing poorly sting less. Some river otters set up shop in our neighborhood pond, which was cool. They ate all the big fish and left. Less cool.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

DeesGrandpa posted:

Same, though it's productive in a lot of areas around me. I paid the extra 10bux for a second rod stamp and I just bring a second rod, cast it out, and leave it in the lil corkscrew rod holder with a bell on it. I then just run lures and have fun with my good rod, and if something takes whatever I've got on the bobber I deal with that as it happens.

This is my preferred method of fishing. I don't use a bell though. Rarely a rod holder - a couple of branches will do. Half the fun is lunging after my rod as it skitters to the water. I like to live dangerously.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Both appalled and intrigued by all the spincaster love.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
I heard somewhere (don't ask, I've forgotten) that you set your drag where your rig falls steadily, not too fast, when you release your bail/bait spool with your rod up at a 45 degree angle.

Sounds odd.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

titties posted:

That sounds like the method for setting brakes on a baitcaster, but for a spinning reel the only things i ever heard was "don't crank it down all the way" and "back it off some when you store them for the winter"

Yeah, I tried applying it to a spinning reel and knew it wouldn't work. Does ok with a baitcaster, but as I tend to horse my catch in, I set the drag tighter.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Got skunked from the bank at Smith Mountain Lake last week. So while mucking around the shed I put a circle hook through my skin right by my knuckle. Hurt like hell. Luckily it wasn't deep and I remembered what to do. Instead I ripped it out the way it came in.

Thinking about going barbless.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Labor Day trip to Smith Mountain Lake. Guess I need to go to the tackle shop and get some new gear. Sigh. If I must.

Haven't been fishing but once this year.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Ghostnuke posted:

this reads like an entry from grandpa's journal in the 40s

What? Type in all caps so I can hear you, sonny.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

CAN I HAVE SOME WHISKEY ON THE BOAT LATER?

If you want to play Yahtzee I'm down with that.

Need some egg sinkers, two rods and two spinning reels (there will be additional children). Circle hooks. Garlic powder. Etc. It's like Christmas.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ihop posted:

Killing, or possibly killing, a fish always feels lovely and after that I just packed up and called it a day.

I've quit a couple of times after something brutal happened too.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Caught a tiny sunfish and had a decent catfish on, but my knot failed. On the plus side, I lost flicker shad and spinning lures to the tune of $15 so I am reassured that I still know how to fish.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went fishing last weekend in the first time in ages. Surf fishing. The least productive fishing known to man and woman. Topsail, NC. Rough surf, high winds and I got skunked.

So gonna have to go to the river and catch some easy catfish to break my ennui.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hekk posted:

Go to the end of the pier instead. I used to night fish their every weekend and it’d top anything I did on my boat in the inter coastal waterway.

Seriously. Ten years ago there used to be a bait shop at the base of the pier. Get some baitfish or shrimp and Carolina rigs or whatever the folks there recommend you throw on the end of whatever inexpensive rod/reel setup you have and fish all night while the cool ocean breeze blows past you.

Some of the best memories I have of ocean fishing were on that pier. It’s one of the longest on the east coast. You can catch everything from drum and flounder to kingfish if you get a spot at the very end of the pier.

https://www.surfcityoceanpier.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. Only there for the weekend so I didn't make it to the pier. Next time.

Fresh squid for bait.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

I’ve never had luck with squid. This time of year I prefer sand fleas. Or cut fresh shrimp. Do you know how to find sand fleas?

My feet do! Very wriggly.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Angry Asian posted:

Anyone have a good way of getting the fish smell out of your hands after handling them other than using gloves I guess? Gonna be hitting up a lake in the BC interior this weekend for rainbows and kokanee, hopefully will be frying a few on the shore!

Your Majesty, might I (your humble servant) suggest you retire to the lavatory to wash your extremities while I scatter rose petals in your path, beating back the barbarians with your diamond-encrusted St. Coix combo (a gift from the Sultan) if needed?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Going to Myrtle Beach next week. Garden city near Murrel's Inlet. Can fish the inlet from the back porch. Doing pier and surf fishing as well.

Tips, please.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Garden City fishing report:

Evening inlet with sandfleas: skunked
Morning surf with shrimp: skunked

I do like surf fishing here though. I'm used to Hatteras fishing which is more hand-to-hand combat than I care for.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

the yeti posted:

Like with the fish or rude people crowding you

The surf. I don't fish Cape Hatteras often, people can get lippy out there.

Caught a big eel in the inlet today. Never want to catch another.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

? Isn’t eel delicious?

I have no doubt. But I've only caught two and don't know how to cook them.

Species caught so far:

Eel, croaker, pinfish, black grouper (maybe? little fella), toadfish. My eldest is doing well. We're not catching anything noteworthy, but it's a good time.

I made a new fishing buddy. A kid about 12 who had the biggest catch yet: hooked his toddler brother RIGHT ABOVE HIS loving EYEBALL on the backcast. Luckily mom (nurse), dad (firefighter) and an emt were on the deck. There was some screaming.

Dude was back running around in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Just goofing around for the first time this year. Set out not caring about catching - shaking off cobwebs. Pissed I got skunked.