Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

I also crab a bit on the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yond Cassius posted:

It feels pretty brave of you to assume that party boats will be safe by next summer.

WA allowed party boats already. It's not really a party you know.

Bananas is a long time cursed fruit. I recall all the boats in CA had the same rule.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Party boats sound super boring to me but you might laugh at this..

My '68 9.5 evinrude broke down last night at southworth and I got to row prettttttay far to get home. Ended up walking along the shore and dragging it because the drift was against me heh heh.

Man we need to hook up once I’m back home.

And after you fix your engine.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We call that type of catch a hitchhiker. Nice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Throw some crawfish traps out to diversify your portfolio.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just found a tackle box on my USNS ship with about 1k in gear. Tons of jigs, wire and gently caress off big hooks. Can’t wait to start using it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HamAdams posted:

Despite living minutes from one of the great lakes my entire life, I've never really put much effort into catching fish other than going out with a cooler of beers and spending an afternoon drowning worms. My wife recently made the fatal mistake of telling me she'd like me to fill our freezer with fish, so it looks like I'll be spending some time really learning how to fish. I don't really have any content to contribute yet, but I'm glad this thread exists because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as the weather gets nicer and I start actually putting together plans for some fishing trips.

She wants you out of the house so her boyfriend can come over.

J/K,
Look into party boat charters so you can learn quickly and get a full chest.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Any trapping going on?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My favorite crabbing spot is safe because people are too lazy to launch a kayak and it’s too far to bring a boat from other areas.

It also happens to be the closest shoreline to my house.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gamera009 posted:

Trying to find a cheap saltwater rod and spin caster is somehow as intimidating as trying to find a fly fishing combo.

Somehow, everyone uses cut bait out here. I guess I’ll have to see if crank baits also work.

Ugly stick plus a shimano IX reel. You didn’t really say what size fish you are going after though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s stressed out from a giant stab wound in its mouth. It will gain some color back when it settles down. I caught one roughly that size and tossed him in a tank and he did the same thing with his color at first but it came back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

Elmnt80 suggested this thread would be a good place to post some reel hot girl poo poo. Probably wants me out of AI :v:

I rebuild reels for friends and family as a hobby so I’m always on the lookout for cheap parts donors & rebuild candidates. My wife spotted this haul on Facebook Marketplace for $30:

I’ve been wanting to build a set of reels for my sister’s kids; there are three Penn 350M levelwinds in that haul that should be perfect for them. They use a rotating twisted rod to move the line side-to-side so there’s a lot less to tangle and they cast like a conventional reel.

I’m going to set them up with identical rods and line so they can all have their own without having to fight for ‘the good rod’. These should be good for jigging, possibly some shore fishing or at their other grandparents’ lake cabin.

First, make sure you have a clean and organized work space:

Not shown: tons of WD-40. It’s magic juice for reel work. Right after that picture I promptly made a mess of everything with WD-40.

I hate stripping line off reels. I have a jig for when I’m saving the line but throwing it away is a PITA, especially after it’s welded itself together with sun and salt.

Tearing everything down, this is the main gear:

I’ve never seen that mode of failure before. Looks like the narrow spot (there’s normally a machined groove there) cracked through and a chunk is missing. Looks like I’ll have to order parts because of course this isn’t shared with any of my parts reels. I’ll put it back together, though, as it works without a load and I’ll order new drag washers to match - the existing ones appear to be 40+ years old.

Installation is reverse of removal :v:

About an hour of scrubbing and assembly later, we have a beautiful and fully functional busted-rear end reel:

Amazing post dude. You out in Washington? I've never seen that style of Penn with the twisted square rod. Gonna keep my eye out for them. I've collected a few of them over the years with a mind to do what you are doing but I got a lot of other things on my plate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ghostnuke posted:

oh excuse me, they've only been here for the last 150 years :rolleyes:

they're super destructive though, we might have to do something if they keep it up for another hundred years or so

edit: lol just started reading about bass - "The largemouth bass has been introduced into many other regions and countries due to its popularity as a sport fish. It causes the decline, displacement or extinctions of species in its new habitat through predation and competition,[31] for example in Namibia. They are also an invasive species in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, and are on the watch list across much of the far northern US and Canada. In colder waters, these fish are often a danger to native fish fry such as salmon and trout.[32] They have also been blamed for the extinction of the Atitlan grebe, a large waterbird which once inhabited Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.[33] In 2011, researchers found that in streams and rivers in the Iberian Peninsula, juvenile largemouth bass were able to demonstrate trophic plasticity, meaning that they were able to adjust their feeding habits to obtain the necessary amount of energy needed to survive. The ability to do such, allows them to be successful as invasive species in relatively stable aquatic food webs.[34] Similarly, a study done in Japan showed that the introduction of both largemouth bass and bluegill into farm ponds have caused increases in the numbers of benthic organisms, resulting from the predation on fishes, crustaceans, and nymphal odonates by the bass.[35] The largemouth bass has been causing sharp decreases in native fish populations in Japan since 1996, especially in bitterling fish in Lake Izunuma-Uchinuma.[36]"

If I was fishing in Japan or Spain then yeah I'd be concerned about bass being in the wrong place. However most of fish in the US where carp are destructive.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'll send you some soft plastic dicks if you want

Hi.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use to try fishing In Pensacola by the mouth of the bay. Saw giant bull sharks in the shallows tearing up an over the slot red fish that had just been released.
Sting Ray ran into me and knocked me on my rear end in the shallows. Sand fleas ate the gently caress out of me. Pin fish have teeth. However if you got base access and can get to the coast guard station there’s apparently a ton of sheepshead hanging out around the pilings. Juvenile crabs I hear work good for them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the Mitchell Avocet stuff is harder to get in Canada, there's these two listings on amazon but both are out of stock.

Should this be more medium or light weight? Kinda just looking for a recommendation of like 6-7' rod, medium weight or something like that?

You say salmon or trout but a little more info could be good. Are you fishing from a boat? A beach? A dock? Do you know generally how big the fish are that you could catch? Also what kind of reel spin casting or bait casting? Canada is huge.

Ugly Stiks are a great starter pole. I generally buy them because if they bust I'm not out hundreds of bucks. Good price break.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I simply don’t drink while I fish. My reflexes are already bad enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

charliebravo77 posted:

Anyone ever fish the Florida Keys? I'm dangerously close to loving off and driving down there for a week or so with my Nucanoe, fish poles and an overwhelming urge to catch saltwater fish.

I just tested out an ultimate with pedal drive and I’m on the list now. Hope I get a chance at one soon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Holy poo poo i used to visit the lake from time to time growing up in the Bay Area. Never seen it that low…

Time to get a paddle board to shoot from!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve done a fair bit of online browsing since the last time you said this, and it appears a brief vertical hold is fine?

I had an angled lip hold last time you pointed this out and I truly appreciated the heads up—but these appear to be correct and safe holds since I just removed hooks and took a 2s pic before releasing?

Also there are a ton of vertical lip holds in this thread (on this page even) yet you only reply to mine? What’s the deal?

It’s just good practice it’s certainly been brought up before. Don’t take it personally.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Made reservations to go fishing out of West Port, WA on Friday. Pretty excited but I got to change my line out from braid to mono due to too many anchoring snags I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I went fishing on the coast the other day and got beat the gently caress up by the swell. The skipper couldn’t get us on big lingcods either but the pacific rockfish were healthy sized guys. Spent a day flash freezing and packing up the meat from two limits. So tired.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I've got a garage full of tools and never had a need for these. Sweet.

What size and type of hook is best to switch out on those? Like a 4/0 circle?

Circle hooks are for bait that gets swallowed. If you are using a lure you want something you can “set”.
Personally, on my rapala floating lures I take off the forward hook and then cut off one hook on the treble to make it a double.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just found a penn 209 real in excellent mechanical condition but a bit dirty for $25. Always nice to have a few spare reels. Load it up with different line than my other 209s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It is mildly interesting, and your budget may be far different than mine! But any kayak will be better at kayaking, and SUPs aren't super popular for fishing since they're basically just a platform that's slow to move around.

https://www.nucanoe.com/ is an option that you may be interested in. It's significantly more expensive, but far more likely to be a buy-once, cry-once.

Their backlog is astronomical. I'm on the list and I may not be able to buy one until 2022. However if you live near them (north of Seattle) they are more than happy to let you demo any of their models. Good people but the Unlimited is just in demand like crazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

So I’ve landed several large bass as long as my lower leg (I’m a tall guy) and I’m seriously obsessed and struggling not to run to the store to buy an expensive shimano reel and a fishing kayak.

This sport seriously lends itself to my gear slut tendencies.

I’m about to spend 3k on a peddle kayak so I’m absolutely qualified to say follow your dreams you can do it!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Truck loaded up with my kayak. Traps baited and standing by. Gonna get up loving early tomorrow to go throw em for a nice 4 hour soak. Special guest crabber going out with me tomorrow too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Strong healthy limits today. loving stoked. Switching up to my old traps was the ticket.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

therunningman posted:

Went out looking for cutthroat in this amazing place on East coast Vancouver Island.
I found sculpin instead. I think I hooked his same one three times in a row.

The tenacity and give-no-fucks of staghorn sculpins is always amazing.

Really nice scenery too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Birds aren’t real.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve caught a pelican and we wrastled the hook out of his pouch. loving sucked but he dove for our fish and nothing could stop it. He flew off fine if not angry. Also caught a gull but that ended badly. I was fishing off a cliff in Santa Cruz but took a nap/break and the drat gull grabbed my baited hook and took off dragging my pole into the water. It carried him into the water and the surf and he got dragged under.
A swift or something similar hit my line while fishing in the river and he got tangled for a hot second before flying off.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Only time snagging is ok is with sustenance fishing on critters that have no min/max size.

You hear about it on tournament bass fishermen snagging fish guarding spawn beds. Super shady.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

therunningman posted:

Yeah don't cheap out on hooks.
Also make sure to check the fishing regulations where you are. For example where I am located you can't fish (in fresh water) with barbless single hooks only.
Which is what you want to use as well if you intend to to catch-and-release.

Wait what that’s so backwards. So you are limited to barbed hooks only?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Get a sit on top kayak.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use to do surf fishing in Santa Cruz until I learned the magic of poke poling in the jetties. The rocks hold bigger fish that you’d think. Cabezon and gopher rockfish love holes and if the bull kelp is close enough pitching rubber jigs at them can produce grass rockfish. Also if you hang a chicken leg on rope maybe in a foot of water on the rocks you can snag crabs coming in to investigate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s very easy to just snip one treble hook off so it’s a double.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice albacore! Haven’t seen a Boccaccio in maybe 10 years too. Looks like a big vermilion and a few canaries.
Looks like a great day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

OniPanda posted:

Bluefin, not albacore. You're right on the vermilion and Boccaccio, but the other three are all green spotted. I was seriously cackling when I pulled them up because I decided to just gently caress around and drop jigs cause I wanted to try the new rod doin what it's supposed to do. People were actually kinda jealous when they saw that giant vermillion.

Juvenile bluefins is sad. I’m not sure I can support a fishery targeting such future monsters. Unless that’s some regional name for bigeye or whatever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

We get bigeye here too, but in this case we were catching all bluefin. If it makes you feel any better the limit is 2.

It doesn’t really. Their biomass is like 3% of historic high and 90% caught are juveniles not old enough to breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, I know their overall stocks are way down due to heavy fishing, so not great to fish them a bunch. We were hoping for yellowfin, and hell I was hoping for mahi, but :shrug:.

I agree with Joe that the regulations need an update. Mostly commercial, but also I do think there should be a yearly limit for recreational, and for more than just bluefin.

The state should raise the ocean fishing license fee by a hefty percentage and buy out shutdown the commercial fishery that targets fish recreational fishermen pursue then increase ocean limits. It's not that many jobs you'd lose overall all and stripping natural resources for profit is a lovely business model. Commercial fish farming isnt great either for the pollution effect but on average all commercial fishermen have proved themselves to be pretty lovely stewards.

wah wah wah poor people already cant afford to buy fresh fish caught on our coast. you aint buying fresh salmon or crabs on min wage.
give state grants to switch boats out to a charter fleet

impound any foreign commercial vessels and turn them into reefs.