Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

As the previous OP, I support this post. And I've already ordered my dickspoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gooch181 posted:

Those are awesome. (I also bet they slay fish)

edit: I finally got around to reading Dangerllama's effortpost on fly fishing; that is fantastic! If anyone thinks fly fishing looks like it might be for them, there are some cheapo starter sets that while not fancy, will absolutely give you enough of a taste to decide if you want to get into it or not. There's something extremely meditative about tending your line and stripping it in. Feeling the fish bite with the line in your hand is addicting as gently caress.
https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Thief-Obsession-Natural-History/dp/110198161X

So, those old fly patterns are completely ineffective compared to your basic wooly bugger, and purely designed to show off the status of the fly-tier. I linked an interesting non-fiction book about a guy investigating a theft of really old extinct bird feathers from a natural history museum. It's a quick read and I recommend it. Not exactly high literature, and the author is reaching a bit, but I can't fault him for how interesting the world he opens up is. It's tragically hilarious that the author served in Iraq with USAID and spends most of his journalistic career trying to help his former Iraqi colleagues. But he gets a best-seller for writing about a super-niche corner of fly-fishing and a bizarre heist that he only stumbled over for volunteering to help injured veterans learn to fly fish.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Some notes on fly fishing
Thanks for the comprehensive post, Dangerllama.

But to any novices or aspiring fly fishermen: It's not hard. Go to bass proshops and take the intro class. It's free and takes an hour. Then buy a cheap rod/reel combo, some line, a pack of leaders, some tippet, and whatever flies your local fly shop recommends. Tell them you're new and they'll bend over backwards to help you. You can learn to cast in under an hour (or 3 years if you try to teach yourself), and spend less than $100 and be a fully effective fly fisherman.

If you want to splurge, buy some nice Scientific Anglers line. That'll make the biggest quality of life difference.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is there a link to the dickspoons?
There's a channel in the discord. Come join us. Both this thread and the discord are very active.

https://discord.gg/2KMhqB

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

There's an entire BWCA forum I can go ask about this on, but I like my goon opinions too in case anyone is familiar.

Doing our annual Minnesota Boundary Waters (BWCA) trip in the fall this year since we thought COVID would be better by then compared to end of May. Went in October once six years ago and caught zero fish but that was really our first foray into fishing as adults. Even in the summer, we've really only caught a fair number of fish on one trip.

We're thinking of either 9/17 or 9/24. A week difference wouldn't change anything right? Catching walleye to eat is always the goal, but catching anything is better than nothing. Anyone know if lake trout are easier at that time? We haven't tried those before.
You're best off bringing a spoon and flinging it along weed lines for pike and smallmouth.

But if you want to catch walleye in the BWCA, your best bet is on larger lakes at the points were smaller lakes flow into them. There will be a bit of rapids and then a deep spot past that where the water looks slack. That's your spot. Use live minnows or leeches primarily.

I have no idea how to find lakers in the BWCA, but I would imagine it involves a fish-finder and some deep water.

Good luck!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

KingKapalone posted:

The time we were catching them that's what we we're doing. We'd cast into where the water was moving and the bobber would float through this deeper trench and at the end when the line would go taught, there was a good chance a walleye was on. We knew it was a trench because every 4th cast we'd catch bottom. Needed to be quite precise.

Know what the preferred bait is in September? We've used leeches most of the time since I don't know what keeping minnows alive is like.
Leeches and minnows always work. You should be able to keep the minnows alive for several days in one of these. Just hang it off the back of your canoe/kayak while you paddle around.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Someone in the discord (Come join us! https://discord.gg/hJQ3KE ) asked me to do an effort post on how to spot rip currents. There was a well-developed rip at the beach today, so I took a quick video to show what to look for. Spotting rips is key to beach fishing because big fish that you want to catch enter the trough system within casting distance of the beach through the cut punched by the rip current. Having every fish you want to catch within a couple yards of your bait is a winning strategy.

Where I was sitting, there was a shallow sandbar (bad for fishing) all the way along to the rip. You can easily identify shallow sandbars by the fact that the waves wash all the way into the beach and land on the beach with no energy. Look for that in the video. There is no trough here today. I'll post a trough :effortpost: when I get a good video.

The rip is very well developed and easy to spot, as far as they go. Key factors to observe in the video: The waves never break, all the way in. There is no wash on top. There are suds being carried out past the breakers. The waves break harder on the beach than anywhere else in view. The water appears to run back out to sea over the top of the waves. All those things together indicate a big rip current and a cut in the outer bar. If it wasn't too busy to fish, that's where I'd set up.

When spotting rips and structure at the beach, it's more about watching over time. You can't just take a snap shot and be confident. Watch the waves break. If they always break in a recurring pattern, it's due to structure under the water. Caveat: Sometimes a massive roller will break even over the best rip current. For reference, the rip is hitting the beach where the group of 6 people are standing in the upper left corner.

https://i.imgur.com/BwVjmi2.mp4
Yes, there are two people swimming right in the middle of the rip current.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 27, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is it true that Philadelphia catfish will whip a D battery at your head once you get them near shore?
Better than the Chicago catfish and their bricks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Gonna try to make it out tomorrow and see what's it like pre hurricane

My experience with hurricane fishing after Florence and Dorian is that the beach fishing is absolutely epic after the hurricanes. I think it has to do with desalinizing the intracoastal waterways and estuaries. Plus the 'canes carve up some good beach structure.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Y’all are missing out on a perfectly good trolling joke.
The Great Outdoors > Fishing Thread: We're just trolling

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Seeing stuff like that makes getting skunked or doing poorly sting less. Some river otters set up shop in our neighborhood pond, which was cool. They ate all the big fish and left. Less cool.
I once saw a mama mink teaching a baby mink how to catch trout. I sat back and watched them for half an hour before mama mink saw me and they hid in their burrow. That poo poo is amazing.

Also, one time I fished a stretch of creek with no bites, and heard a splash behind me. I turned around and saw a mink scamper out of the creek with a 6" trout in its mouth. I got outfished by a weasel.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

Thinking about heading down to a lake close to my house to practice my casting try for bass, perch, and crappie.

Are there water temperature considerations for bass and other lake species? Trout are incredibly fragile at temps over 67° — so I’m just curious if there’s a temperature over which I’d want to stay off the water.
Nope. No temperature concerns for cyclids.

quote:

Bonus points for fly recommendations. I haven’t caught a fish that wasn’t a trout in over 30 years.
The wooly bugger is a classic for a reason. You can catch just about anything on one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

This is my preferred method of fishing. I don't use a bell though. Rarely a rod holder - a couple of branches will do. Half the fun is lunging after my rod as it skitters to the water. I like to live dangerously.

You can tell the good catfish spots because of the Y-shaped sticks stuck upright in the riverbank.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yesterday I finally got around to taking my sons back to the farm I was born on in Iowa to do some fishing. Had a GREAT time but I have a question.

Several of the largemouths we caught, where they would typically be white on their stomachs were very yellow. The yellow was dark on the bottom getting lighter as it moved up the body. They were very healthy looking fish. Is this just some kind of normal mutation or a result of their particular environment? I've never seen this before, although it's been close to two decades since I've fished these ponds so maybe I've forgotten. Sorry, no pictures.
Likely due to diet. Maybe they only eat crayfish or something?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's a good budget all arounder 5 wt fly line? I probably fish more streamers and nymphs than dry, but poppers and hoppers too.
Depends on what you mean by budget. Scientific anglers is probably the best quality per dollar.

If you're going to spend money on flyfishing gear, you'll get the highest quality of life improvement by buying really nice fly line. I'd much rather cast a cheapo WalMart fly rod with high quality line than vice versa.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Add my name to the dickspoon leaderboard.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Uhhh budget like under $50. I'm thinking WF floating is best. Scientific Anglers has a couple that fit all that. I just can't justify much more than that right now since I need some critical motorcycle stuff.
I've bought several of the $45 price point Scientific Anglers line and they'll all performed well.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elmnt80 posted:

Why would anyone do that? :confused:
Hidden referral links for personal profit.

Anyway, someone suggested a prize for the smallest fish caught on a dickspoon. I submit:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Take my comments with some caution, I am not a great fly caster. But here are some things that might help you with the mechanics of it and that helped me.

Try starting out with like 20’ of fly line out straight on the ground in front of you, leading away. Point the rod straight at the horizon with a straight but not too stiff arm. In one smooth motion, not too fast but fast enough that it bends under the weight of the line, pick the rod up all the way back to 2:00. Stop there and let the line just fall wherever it does. Reset and repeat. Doing that exercise a bunch helped me feel what it likes to have the rod load up. Once you’ve got it smooth over and over, don’t stop at 2:00, but pause there, turn your head, and watch the line fill out the backcast. When the line is about half finished unfurling (1-1.5 seconds maybe?), reverse that smooth motion back to 10:00 and stop, letting the line just fall straight out in front of you. Do that over and over until you have the backcast and forward cast paired up. You’ll know you have it when you feel the rod load up smoothly in each direction. Don’t strip out any more line, but hold onto it with your line tending hand. The more line you have out, the slower this process is, and the easier it is.

After you have the feel of loading up the rod down, then start with a pile of line stripped out at your feet and a longer series of back and forward casts to get the line out. Adding more line to your cast is most complex at the very beginning of the cast because the frequency of the cast is a lot higher and faster. That is, you’re whipping the rod back and forth a lot faster when you have a short length of line out than you do with a lot of line out because the weight of 8 feet of line loads the rod up much less than 25 feet does.
I mean this in the nicest way possible.... Explaining how to flyfish is a fool's errand. It either takes a 10-minute in-person lesson from someone who knows how to cast, or 2 years of self-discovery. There is no middle ground.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I have a couple tiers of spots. I know enough good water to take someone out on that I'll know they'll catch fish. But only family and the guy who taught me how flyfish get taken to my true honey holes.

And, honestly, my honey holes have worse fishing than the mid-range spots. They're just fantastically pristine spots with great fishing. My favorite flyfishing spot I fished on the January 1st opener in Minnesota. When I went back in March, I could still see my old footprints in the snow and nobody else's. That's what I want to see.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

prom candy posted:

where do you guys live that you have these holes? every piece of water near me is either very well known or private.
Southeast Minnesota has thousands of miles of pristine trout streams and sparse population. There are stretches that get fished a single digit number of times a year that hold 30" trout.

One hour west of DC in the Shenandoah Valley, I've caught many trout out of a place a fishing guide told me didn't hold trout. I know several places like that in that area.

Where I live now in NC, I know several places that require an hour hike that don't get fished hardly ever. Most people don't leave sight of their car. Fewer still hike a mile upstream.

Cover the water, find the spots. Ignore the conventional wisdom. Fish are everywhere.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DeesGrandpa posted:

Snagged a permit to get into RMNP yesterday, and it was an absolute zoo by 8AM (I could only get the 8AM-10AM slot), which is par for the course but frustrating on a weekday. To make up for it I hiked myself, a couple rods, a sandwich and a few beers up to one of my favorite spots in the park, and turns out the place is loaded with trout. A+++ would fish there again

Are those goldens? They look gorgeous. I am so loving jealous. Once this COVID thing is under control I'm going to hit up CO and WY for some trout fishing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I live in Charleston and people are always making GBS threads themselves talking about how beautiful it is and I’m like “uhhhhhh have you even been to the loving Rockies?”

It took me whole days to accept how beautiful everything is there. Stunning.
Charleston is amazing though. Lots of green space with live oaks. Stunning. But in a different way.

Also has amazing fishing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Charleston is trying really hard to be antebellum Disneyland while ignoring climate change and building McMansions on every square inch, but yeah it’s pretty enough.

The fishing is good if you’ve got a skinny water boat and a pastel colored acg flappy fishing shirt, sure.
Yeah, the touristy part of Charleston is playing up the antebellum links, but there's a lot more to the city than that.

Got any tips on fishing Charleston? I've done the fly-fishing for tailing reds in southeast LA. Is that a thing in Charleston also? I live a couple hours away and would totally make a trip out of it if there's a shot at fly-casting tailing reds.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LegionAreI posted:

Spent far too much time hiking than fishing today. My usual spot was overrun, so I decided to play Google Roulette and try a new spot. Of course greatly misjudged some distances.
Man, never suit up in full waders and heavy rubber soled boots until you know just how far you need to hike, I walked 3 miles in with full kit and my fishing pack like it was boot camp.
Best part, only bluegills and dinky bass. :( I did get to make a kid happy and save his dad's rep after rolling in and pulling a fish on my first cast. Gave them a pack of plastic worms, showed how to rig it, they hooked up right away. Of course they couldn't wade in under the bridge we were at but it was good enough for them.
Of course then the dad tells me I could have parked at the other end of the trail and saved myself 2.5 miles. Oh well, next time!
Reminds me of a time I went morel mushroom hunting. I did a 5 mile circuit hike and the only morels I found were within sight of my car on the tail-end of the hike. Oh well, found mushrooms. That spot was productive for a good 3 years, so I'm OK with it.

Edit: Also, if there are any newbees or irregulars in here, we have an active discord that is very welcoming and you'll get advice and discussion from other fishing goons. And a custom name color if you catch a fish on a dickspoon. Come join us: https://discord.gg/KfqjK9

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 9, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

did this dude just win the derby
I feel that catching a loving muskie on a dickspoon is so loving epic that they win by default.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Easychair Bootson posted:

Thanks for all of this! The terminology is super helpful. Looking forward to my wife rolling her eyes at me watching fishing videos constantly now.

I don't have a reel (or any equipment beyond hand tools), but I'm sure whatever I borrow will be a spinner or spincaster. Bass fishing seems like a a good way to start out so as to get some repetition. If you handed me a spincaster right now I could cast it just based on muscle memory from the handful of times that I've fished. I've used a spinning reel before too, but I'd have to fiddle with it for a second to remember how to cast it. I don't know how to load line onto a reel, so that's another thing I need to add to my list of things to learn.

What sort of conditions are conducive to this type of fishing and what conditions are hopeless? Air temperatures are currently in the 60s at dawn and 80s at dusk. We haven't had much rain in the past two weeks but the forecast shows some next week.
Join us in discord: https://discord.gg/EyXGGD

Also, just go buy a cheap combo spinning reel/rod from Walmat. It's like $30 and you'll do perfectly fine. If you have access to private ponds, you'll clean up. Worm or crappie minnow on a 1/8 oz jighead 3' underneath a bobber and you'll catch every fish in the pond. Go do it and report back.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I always felt sorry for this poor dope who otherwise does decent videos but was completely unprepared for Hatteras combat fishing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUcxG5TN1g
I hear the CaLo point is even worse. The guys who do that year-round rack up triple digit 40#+ redfish counts per year, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

That's awesome, and some huge smallmouth. You've got some amazing fishing up there, and some monster muskie and pike.

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Western MD fly fishing.

I do several different types of fishing: Spin fishing for whatever, but heavily target smallmouth bass in the Potomac. However, since I live in fly fishing country, I now fly fish. My only rod is a 5 wt 7.5' rod I bought off of a friend of a friend to get me started. This generally suits me fine for when I fish small streams for heavy cover. However, most people go with a longer rod.

Should I abandon the 5 wt 7.5' in favor of a rod that is longer? Or should I keep this smaller rod, and get a 3 wt 9' rod so I've got different weight rods? Longer rod will let me do some nymphing and cover distance in wider streams.

I'm at a bit of an impasse about where to go with either keeping the smaller rod and just getting a longer 5wt (or a 3wt) and just swapping out reels.

Could use the insight if anyone has it. I have a spare reel downstairs too. The current reel I have on my 5 wt 7.5' is a Battenkill BBS III.

Unrelated, I am thinking about getting a bass rod to throw bigger flies. I assume a 7wt would be best.
If you're fishing for trout, 5 wt 7.5' is plenty for anything if you're on foot. You're almost always better served getting into a better casting position and making a shorter cast than casting a long rod from farther away. Also, it's not like a 9' rod is going to add much to your cast over a 7.5' rod.

Also, I wouldn't nymph on a 3-weight. You need an indicator and some lead to get down, be it in a split-shot or a leaded nymph. That can be a pain to cast with ultralights, imho. If you do want to do ultralight nymphing, look into Tenkara fishing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

I could also go up to say, a 7 for smallmouth and just keep my shorter 5 wt for trout. I used a 7 a few times with larger bass flies and it was pretty great
The rod is more about the tackle you're using than the fish you're catching. If you're throwing clousers, get the 7-wt. Smallmouth love wooly buggers, though, and those cast great on a 5-wt.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Farking Bastage posted:

He did. Taught me a lot over the years before he lost his poo poo one day and shot my mom in the face point blank with a .44 magnum.

King of Bees posted:

gently caress, i havent gone on a bird hunt in almost twenty years :(

Dude, read the room.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mukulu posted:

Hmong people are awesome and very enthusiastic anglers! I was fishing next to some Hmong teenagers a few weeks ago and we were all slamming fish. A lot of thumbs up between us.

This.... this hits way too close. I've heard that poo poo so much.
I think there is a generational aspect to it, though. The original Hmong immigrants to Minnesota weren't very respectful of fishing limits or private property, at least in my rural Minnesota hometown. That caused a lot of friction 30-40 years ago. Now, most of the Hmong you see around in Minnesota are US citizens born and raised here. They know the laws and stuff and get their parents and grandparents to follow them.

They are enthusiastic and prolific fishermen, though. Although if you see a family all spread out on the dam, they're just as likely catching brown bullheads as they are walleye or perch.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Discussion Quorum posted:

I assume the various piers around here are turbo crowded and they don't really interest me anyways, unless there is a good reason to start there.
Your assumptions are correct, but the people on the pier are usually very helpful. That's a completely different sort of fishing from any other, though.

Would a 10ft pole and 6000 spinning reel with 12-14lb test be the right choice for surf and jetties? Is it worth getting a shorter/lighter rod+reel combo too (specifically for shore saltwater/bay fishing, I'll probably pick up a cheap combo for the various stocked ponds closer to home)?

e: upon further research, it sounds like a 7' or 7'6" pole might be closer to what I need
7' is a bit short for shore beach/bay fishing. 7'6-8' is the sweet spot, imho. 6000 spinning reel is a good starting one. 5000 is fine too.

Etiquette - how close is too close to other anglers on the beach?
As much as possible, but it depends on how busy it is. 30m is a good distance.

Should I stick to circular barbless hooks? I want to try out both bait and lures so when should I use what?
To start, use bait on barbed circkle hooks. Size 4 or 6 with shrimp, Size 0 or 2 with live bait.

Gear: rod, reel, cooler, sunscreen+hat, chair, stringer(?), pliers, diagonal cutters, first aid kit, maybe a couple buckets. What not-obvious things am I forgetting?
It depends on if you're keeping fish or not. I usually just take small tackle box, a pair of surf rods, and a sand flea rake, along with a chair and sunscreen. If you're using live bait, add in a bucket with an aerator. Needlenose pliers are always useful. If you're keeping fish, bring a cooler and ice. Saltwater ice bath is the best way to both euthanize and keep fish fresh.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Picked up one of these dudes to replace my three smaller boxes that were all stolen, woo! Sad that my license (and gf's license) were in one of those, so no more fishing for the year :(
You can get a replacement license for a small fee in every state I've bought a fishing license.

Also, your fishing license is tied to your driver's license, so conservation officers can check to see if you have a valid license by your driver's license. They might still write you a ticket for not having the license on you, but that's unlikely and very minor compared to fishing without a license.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

joem83 posted:

If you buy your license online, they email you a digital copy. I've been stopped by DFW before and shown it and they had no issue.
I didn't know they allowed you to fish during stopovers at DFW. Although if any airport had a bass pond, it would definitely be in Texas.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

The peregrine falcons are migrating through right now and we saw one destroy tern or something about fifteen feet from us on the sand by doing its 200mph body check plus talon through the head dive. :black101: Problem was he came back again and accidentally threw the body into the surf so he didnt even get a meal.
Cool! One time I was getting skunked at the beach and a loving osprey flew right over head with a 12" pompano still wriggling. It was half the size of the bird. Show-offs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Throw a chunk of hotdog in there and see what you get :)
Also a valid dating strategy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

I played hooky and hit the South Platte today. It was freezing, but extremely windy and very little moisture (side note: Grand Lake suffered severe damage from the Troublesome Creek fire and they’re currently evacuating Estes Park. I’m also worried about Rocky Mountain National Park. It has fires on two sides. Please send positive vibes to the Front Range. We desperately need moisture.)

I got on the river around 9:30 and decided to try my newly acquired New Zealand indicator kit. It’s a bit fiddly relative to a bobber an indicator or corqs, and doesn’t suspend nymphs quite as well — I had to apply desiccant shake every 15 minutes or so — but holy crap is this thing like sorcery for spooky fish. No splash, and extremely sensitive to takes. Plus it’s very easy to move when adjusting for depth.

The first spot, just after I said aloud, “I don’t think there are any fish in this run.”

A #22 green top secret midge did the trick.

another one.

Spot two. Same midge.

Hand for scale.

New Zealand Wool. Good stuff.
I'm partial to lindy rig floats with toothpicks. Easily adjustable and doesn't alter the drift of the nymph. Easy to see and cast as well.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone have any tips for keeping your line guides from icing over when the water is cold?
If you're flyfishing, get good with roll casts and embrace the frozen eyes.

Alternatively, Tenkara rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I've had good luck with stripers/white bass this time of year during the magic hour just as the sun leaves the water. The water temp is as high as it's going to be that day, and the bait fish come out to feed.