Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Canadianjerkey posted:

Ideally I'm fishing to harvest meat, but local parks asks that largemouth go back, so that's what I do. If there are any folks in the SF Bay who want to link up and socially distance fish feel free to let me know. So far all I've fished is Lake Chabot north of Castro Valley.

I am out towards the Valley and I regularly hit up Los Vaqueros and Del Valle near Livermore. I believe both places have begun planting trout again, or will soon.

I know Bethany Reservoir near Tracy/Mountain House definitely has big stripers in it. I was there on a relatively windy day a few weeks ago, and a giant one splashed right near shore just as I was on the phone with my buddy telling him nothing was really biting that day, lol. Unfortunately, it seems that bass that have survived that long are savvy enough to leave alone a simple chunk of chicken liver on a circle hook. Maybe the Ned rig is worth a go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I haven't been fishing since I moved, since most of the tackle I have was for chasing stocked trout, and none of the closest lakes stock trout. (Although one is apparently starting to again after 40 years -- I found news of a single plant back in December but nothing since.) However, one of the lakes claims they have the only population of white bass in California, while also having largemouth/smallmouth, channel catfish, and crappie. White bass don't look much bigger than trout but are maybe harder fighting? Seems like maybe I want a bit sturdier setup, perhaps a medium rod. I'm overwhelmed by the vast amount of bass tackle. From this thread, it seems like maybe my best bet is dragging Ned rigs around weed beds, and jerkbaits like the Vision 110 above? I've also got plenty of spoons and a few small spinners, maybe 1/8oz.

I think I want to buy a medium rod setup anyway. When I started up a few years ago, I told somebody I wanted to go for catfish, and I got sold a 7' medium heavy Ugly Stik, that I since added one of the Okuma baitfeeder reels to. But I almost feel like that's too beefy for anything I'm going to encounter in relatively high-pressured inland freshwater lakes, as I've struggled to catch anything with it ever since. I almost feel like some of this is sold off of what's appropriate back in the Midwest or the Great Lakes, especially buying from a chain store like Bass Pro. One might hook into a very hefty striper or a sturgeon in the California Delta, but I've never heard of anything like the 50-100lb giant catfish I hear about from the midwest. The good news is I feel pretty confident I can use it as a basic surf-fishing rod now that I live closer to the coast, before having to go out and buy a 10-12' big boy.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

titties posted:

When you say "spinners", do you mean an online spinner or a spinnerbait?

Around the time that bass season opens (late May) I have the best luck with spinnerbaits or buzzbaits. Just haul a chartreuse spinnerbait in front of their fat stupid face until they get pissed off

I presume you mean inline spinners? I have a few of those in smaller sizes.

Are you talking about the jig heads with the attached spinners? Like this?

I haven't tried those at all. I picked up some Ned rig stuff for bass and some Trout Magnets for panfish and any remaining trout, we'll see how that goes in the local lake.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

DamnitGannet posted:

I bought a spinning reel after using spincasters my whole life and I feel like everyone is playing a prank on me by saying how great they are. If I even look at it wrong all the line pops off and manages to get tangled around. It came with the line already on so anytime it loses tension it just goes sproing in little tangled circles. Would putting fresh line on it help?

Does the reel have an anti-reverse switch? Towards the back, on the bottom? If that switch is present and you can turn the handle both ways and make the reel spin either way, then the switch needs to be flipped. I had forgotten these were even a thing until I pulled one of my reels out of storage and realized it had one.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Sickening posted:

I can't remember the name but yeah, this guy existed.

Mike Long.

Looks like the original site is down, but archive.org has the whole story:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221027004053/https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

For sonar chat, anybody had any experience with the castable smartphone-linked sonars, like https://deepersonar.com/en-us ? What kind of difference am I looking at in terms of detail, aperture size, etc.? I'm attracted to this idea not just for shore fishing, but also because one lake in particular I like to go to insists on only allowing their fleet of electric rental boats. I'm also planning on getting an inflatable boat that will be rolled up and stored while not in use, but it seems like there are options for mounting traditional transducers even in that scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I've been contemplating getting an inflatable with a trolling motor or smaller electric as the sole power source, and most of my money would definitely be in the batteries. As a sole power source, I'm going to want at least a 24-volt motor, and more likely a 36V if I want to even begin to approach the power of smaller gas motors. Newport, who's got all sorts of trolling motors on Amazon, is pushing a 36V they claim is 3HP for $1,100: https://newportvessels.com/products/nt300-electric-outboard-motor That's a big jump up from their most powerful 86lb 24V trolling motor at $300.

I'd also likely be purchasing a set of 12V batteries to run in series to get the necessary voltage. That way, I can also use them in 12V applications as necessary. From one of the heavier-advertising battery retailers that seems to make pretty well-sealed batteries, that starts at $1,100 for a 24V set of two batteries: https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-36v-54ah-deep-cycle-marine-trolling-motor-battery/ and $1,800 for a 36V set of three: https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-36v-54ah-deep-cycle-marine-trolling-motor-battery/

And, since I'm spending the money, I'm probably actually going to go for the higher capacities anyway, and I'm also going to put them in battery boxes out of an abundance of caution. And that's all for a blow-up boat that still won't have as much power as even the cheapest available gas outboards. It's still an option to me because I'm currently driving a hatchback with no room for a folded-up boat AND a gas outboard, and I really don't want to deal with maintaining and storing a gas outboard right now. For most people who are going to take boating seriously, it still probably doesn't pencil out, even though more affordable motors are becoming available.