Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ashamed by how much this tempts me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Christ, my buddy thinks he's gonna be a millionaire doing this poo poo. Fucker also thinks they stole the idea for tik Tok from him. Good guy but brain dead as hell

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what have you got to lose? sex toys are meant to be a good starting point as people prefer to buy them online

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The trick is that you have to get around the Chinese sizes. It wasn't a bad idea a while ago but the first gen of influencers that adopted it also had the bodies to match. That demo is hip to it now so you are left with, well, people who can't buy the products you are dropshipping unless there is some other "lifestyle" component like making it a "mystery box" where you curate a bunch of dumb poo poo for people. But at that point, it's more of a dollar shaveclub model repackaging as opposed to straight dropshipping.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
There were some really good threads 8-10 years ago about the whole dropshipping thing then I think the wider world got wise to it and there's not too many niches left.

My brother has a buddy who's done it for for a couple years now with something for dogs, like clothes or carrying case or something seemingly lame, but business is booming and he quit his job and is now making hundreds of thousands a year, it's absurd but more power to him.

In short, invest in an index fund OP.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Send it to me, I have proven 40% return since march!

A few years ago people (including a friend of mine) use to do the dropshipping thing. I think now it's not quite as attractive and the cheap bastards learned to use aliexpress themselves. But apparently it's still possible to pull off if you rebrand a generic product and bribe influencers to peddle it for you.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
i recommend avoiding this harrowing conversation with your next of kin

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pokeman cards OP. Opening up a foil charizard is better then heroin

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Invest it in stocks for companies that you would personally like to see do well, and that have a low P/E ratio and/or have good growth potential.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
If this was 2019, and you were an Australian like me, I'd say "Buy Aussie Shares!"
Now that it's 2020, and the market has dropped like a brick, I'd still say "Buy Aussie Shares!"

Shares
Shares.
SHARES!

If you have cash, it is not going anywhere if you just keep it as cash. Inflation will eventually make it worthless. Bank "savings" will maybe keep it up to the CPI, but that's just letting the bank reap all the rewards.

The market is...[I'm not qualified to say], right now. But the regular bluechips are always strong if you want to privately invest.

The trick is, a lot of actually decent people, not just crooks, are looking at your 10k right now, and the decent ones know that they can invest it super well, get a good slice of the return for themselves, and give the rest to you. It's a good way to start, you still get something, but some nerd at a computer is still winning more than you. Those are investment funds and exchange traded funds.

Otherwise, go it alone. But I'm Australian, I invest in Australian shares, and I've never regretted it. If you're American, and you invest in solid American companies, you'll never regret it either.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
fundsmith is full of american tech but they scared me by going into the red a week after i trebled my investment. well, it's still better than just sitting there i suppose

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Cheap call options are fun

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Invest in myspace, its due for a comeback

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Should've bought bitcoin

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

snowparty posted:

Tell me ways I can at least double it. I’m not really interested in putting it in a savings account or anything like that with slow return rates. I already have money in savings accounts, 401k, IRA, etc.

If you're trying to do this and don't know the answer you shouldn't be doing it.

Since you clearly don't know what an [removed] is or whatever you're even more likely to piss it away than the [removed] dorks.

Edit:

Strongly recommend you visit Cumshitter's business hole and see what Capital Under Management can offer you.

I've also changed my post since I realized OP is probably the type to google the things I said not to do rather than spend any time reading investopedia or googling actually sound advice.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 30, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mobby_6kl posted:

Should've bought bitcoin

It’s not too late to get in on the ground floor, these are still early days and the value can only go up!!!

Extrinsic Value
Dec 2, 2020

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

It’s not too late to get in on the ground floor, these are still early days and the value can only go up!!!
Unironically this. The rocket is currently on the launchpad. All you have to do is step inside. No risk, no reward.

05:11 EST December 2nd, 2020. As of this post, Bitcoin was trading at 19,053 USD / BTC

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Put it all on the horse with the longest name

mystes
May 31, 2006

Airbnb and Doordash just IPOed. I hope you got in on it, OP.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kaal posted:

If the OP had invested $10,000 in Vanguard's VTI fund, rather than posting this thread, he would have bought 61.305 shares that would now be worth $10,459.17.

Four months later, those hypothetical shares would now be worth $11,659.60.

SocialValuationLOL
Dec 16, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

Four months later, those hypothetical shares would now be worth $11,659.60.
Wow, a whole $1,659 dollar in gains in four months. Bitcoin did that in the past 24 hours.

Buy Bitcoin.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

The problem with Bitcoin is its high risk relative to other investments. If you have $100,000+ to play with this is not such a big deal and I’ve known people with this kind of money to have a small proportion of crypto in their portfolio, in the same way you would hold e.g private shares as an angel or exotics like fine art - they’re high-risk assets which help diversify your portfolio but which can also crater it if you rely too heavily on them.

$10,000 is way too small an amount to really be thinking about building a portfolio though, so echoing what other folks have said, just find a good index fund and put it in there. Maybe in a pension fund as I believe there’s tax benefits to investing in a pension in the US?

Most crypto is notoriously unstable and liable to lose all value if it turns out the developers were actually running a massive fraud, under delivered on promises, or the value was built on hype and memes. Bitcoin isn’t likely to go under tomorrow but it has the very real problem of being massively overvalued as an asset: it can’t be exchanged for most real goods and services, so its value comes from its perceived value alone (and drug and gun prices). This is different to, say, the dollar, which is widely used as an actual currency.

Considered as an asset, Bitcoin is very high risk and volatile; considered as a currency, it’s not great unless you’re a hardened criminal.

That said, goons were saying similar things a decade ago and I wish I’d bought in back when Bitcoin was $100 a coin. But there is certainly a parallel universe (or many / most) where goons were right and early Bitcoin adopters lost everything.

E: $10,000 is also more than enough to start many small businesses if you’re of the high risk mindset and fancy being self-employed.

E2: PS thanks for teaching me some forums history, permabanned poster seraph84

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 17, 2020

GoonsRalwaysWrong
Dec 17, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Purple Prince posted:

That said, goons were saying similar things a decade ago and I wish I’d bought in back when Bitcoin was $100 a coin. But there is certainly a parallel universe (or many / most) where goons were right and early Bitcoin adopters lost everything.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion > Ask/Tell > Tell me how to smartly invest 10k: There is a parallel universe where goons were right

TheLaundryGoon
Jan 11, 2021

by Cyrano4747

Extrinsic Value posted:

Unironically this. The rocket is currently on the launchpad. All you have to do is step inside. No risk, no reward.

05:11 EST December 2nd, 2020. As of this post, Bitcoin was trading at 19,053 USD / BTC
I hate to say I told you so, but... 5 weeks later 1 btc is trading at 32,000 USD / BTC

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Invest it in a US traded stock that pays dividends.
Reinvest the dividend money into the stock for a couple years to build some generation power. Then start using the dividend cash to buy other stocks that pay dividends as well. Rinse and repeat for 20 years. Its not fast money, but it is consistent.

Telecom and medical research are not bad fields.

637dollars
Jan 14, 2021

by Athanatos
The balance shown below in my savings represents a $637.50 investment. Held for 7 years, 2 months.

$50,000 more is on its way as we speak. This will be a ~30% down payment on a 475-500k property.

It's not too late goons, Bitcoin's momentum isn't going to stop. Ever.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It kind of has to in order to be useable as a currency. Otherwise it's just a fad collectible and will die whenever the next one comes along. I'm sure someone thought the same as you about beanie babies once.

e: If it's such an amazing investment, why are you pulling it out to buy real estate? Property values don't go up that quickly.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 14, 2021

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

if op had bought tesla on this date, they'd have 2.5x'd their money by now lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hmm what can I do to prove I’m good with money.

I know, I’ll post a made up bank account where I have a definitely not photoshopped even 100,000 sitting in an account and less than 1500 in my checking account and talk about how I’m gonna buy a house with a 5k/month mortgage soon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Internetjack posted:

Invest it in a US traded stock that pays dividends.
Reinvest the dividend money into the stock for a couple years to build some generation power. Then start using the dividend cash to buy other stocks that pay dividends as well. Rinse and repeat for 20 years. Its not fast money, but it is consistent.

Telecom and medical research are not bad fields.

Alternatively go back and buy tech stocks in winter 2019. Would have made you at least $2500 in the last year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

truly there will never be any shortage of people who don't understand the difference between investing and speculating

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

PIZZA.BAT posted:

understand the difference between investing and speculating

This repeated a 1000 times over. Both are fine, but understand the difference.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just spend it on good food op. Why be rich in 10 years when you could be well fed this week

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

snowparty posted:

Straight to the point, I have 10k just sitting in my safe. I’d like to put it to work. Tell me ways I can at least double it. I’m not really interested in putting it in a savings account or anything like that with slow return rates. I already have money in savings accounts, 401k, IRA, etc.

I guess I’m looking for a high risk, high reward way of investing. Otherwise it will potentially go to real estate.

Tell me your success stories with investing!

If you had bought GME stock when you made this post, today it would be worth $758,536

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you had bought GME stock when you made this post, today it would be worth $758,536
There's still time to get in on GME while it's up!

GoonInvestmentsLLC
Feb 3, 2021

by Athanatos
Goon investment advice explained:

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Goons when bitcoins are $100 each: "what a bubble, if you buy now you're an idiot who deserves what you're about to lose"

Goons when gamestop jumped to $40 a share: "just another pump and dump, you already missed the curve, the only people making money now got in weeks ago"

Goons when Dogecoin jumps 800% in 6 hours after an Elon Musk tweet : " THIS is the way, boys! Time to hop aboard Lmao meme economy straight to the moon. HODL rofl :cheerdoge: :shibewow: "
Seraph84, looking at Dogecoin: “. . .”

Dogecoin, 24 hours later:

Dogegoons: "Well gently caress."

Meanwhile:

Goons when bitcoin is at $5 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $500 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $5,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $15,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $35,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”

Seraph84 when bitcoin is at $255 and every day since: “buy and hold bitcoin!”
Seraph84 when bitcoin is at $40,000 each: “I just realized $150,000 in profit. Time to buy some Manhattan real estate.”

Never take investment advice from goons, unless that goon's name starts with Seraph and ends with 84.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

A) You're not a goon, Seraph84. You've been repeatedly rejected in your attempts to join the community of goons and just can't take a hint.

B) At this point all purchases of digital currency for speculation purposes are gambles, not investments. You can find any number of economists who have gone into great detail as to why, but you can't take a hint there, either. Anyone who gambled on bitcoin or dogecoin or etherium or whatever digital currency you want to cite and made money was lucky. Good investments are not based on luck.

C) gently caress off.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was gonna suggest closing this thread but it seems to be a pretty reliable revenue stream for the forums so gently caress it. I think it's a wise investment to leave it open

mystes
May 31, 2006

GoonInvestmentsLLC posted:

Goon investment advice explained:

Seraph84, looking at Dogecoin: “. . .”

Dogecoin, 24 hours later:

Dogegoons: "Well gently caress."

Meanwhile:

Goons when bitcoin is at $5 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $500 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $5,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $15,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”
Goons when bitcoin is at $35,000 each: “It's a scam, it's a bubble, never invest in this poo poo!”

Seraph84 when bitcoin is at $255 and every day since: “buy and hold bitcoin!”
Seraph84 when bitcoin is at $40,000 each: “I just realized $150,000 in profit. Time to buy some Manhattan real estate.”

Never take investment advice from goons, unless that goon's name starts with Seraph and ends with 84.
With your ability to predict these trends, don't you think you should get a bit more leveraged? It seems like you could be making a lot more than $150,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
he needs the liquidity to buy dozens of accounts on a dead forum for compulsive, sad reasons