Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
Problem description: I built my parents a fairly basic PC recently, and it's running into a weird problem: the mouse and keyboard have pretty bad input lag. It takes a few tries to get the mouse to where you want it to go, because it will stop moving in the middle of the movement and I have to reset. The keyboard also shows a lag - if I hold down a key, for example, it will produce 4 or 5 letters, pause for about a second, and then start up again. The weirdest part is that these problems don't happen at all if I remote into their PC using TeamViewer. I even confirmed it by opening a text file and holding down a letter on the keyboard, and then having my parents do the same. Input lag for them, but not for me. Really odd. I've had them try wired and wireless keyboards and mice, and it doesn't change anything for them.

Attempted fixes: I've been looking around google trying to find various things that might fix it. CPU-Z seems to report that their RAM is running at the right frequency, though I'll probably guide them through the BIOS to confirm soon. I installed the AMD Radeon Graphics drivers, but that didn't change anything in terms of the input lag. I found some suggestions that said turning off HDCP Support in the graphics settings might fix it, but those were from ~1.5 years ago, and I can't find HDCP support as an option in the 2020 AMD graphics settings.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs::
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD AM4 mATX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3400G
Graphics: Integrated
OS Storage: Inland Premium 256GB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
PSU: Corsair SF450 450 Watt 80 Plus Gold SFX Fully Modular Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

-----------------

Solved it! Weirdly, it was a USB drive that was plugged in. Taking it out resolved all issues. No clue why, but I'm not complaining.

Chemical Shift fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU