Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wasn't gifted anything disc golf related, but I got myself a new actual bag! Before this I used either an old backpack or a small camera shoulder bag. The camera bag was perfect for 6-8 discs, but had no room for anything else. I settled on the Axiom Voyager Lite, which seems like a bag with a good layout, without paying for a Grip bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried out my new Spin the other day. What a weird and fun disc! I needed to clear an obstacle so I threw it flat, nose up. It just flew upwards, lost power, and fell straight down with zero fade.

I bought myself a proper bag for Christmas, an Axiom Voyager Lite. I like it, not too expensive and keeps upright on the ground. The real neat trick is having loops for a towel, because there's a lot of mud out around here.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

My wife and I went to a disc golf store in the Twin Cities area and picked up some beginner discs. We downloaded the UDisc app and found a course close to our house and played 9 holes.

We finished 16 and 18 over par but had a really good time. Now we just have to figure out how to throw these things and get them to some somewhere close to where we hoped it’d go.

I have a driver and a putter and she has a midrange disc and a putter. We are probably gonna go back and start filling in more discs but the dude at the store told us to buy the cheap less durable plastic to start since we were gonna spend a bunch of time hitting trees and parking lots and it’s silly to spend a bunch of fancy stuff since we have no idea what we really need.

That’s my disc golf story. Had fun. Probably have a new hobby that gets me out of the house and moving around.

People say this a lot, and while I agree that there's no point spending too much on the first discs, premium plastic often does feel really nice. Right until you throw away an "expensive" disc and can't find it.

A couple of days ago I lost a driver in a lake, first time I've done that. I tried looking for it, but could not find it, that sucked. Literally three hours later someone texted me, he'd fished out the disc looking for his own.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

Yeah I am old and broken and can't really do the run throw thing but I think I started to get the hang of the fairway driver I have. If I tilt the nose down just a little bit, it seemed to fly truer and straighter. However, that was like 1 out of 3 times I'd throw it. Other times I'd release too early or too late and it'd go all over the place.

It's nothing serious for us and we aren't in a hurry to get great. It's just nice to have a reason to get out and move around and getting to see some trees and a little bit of nature is a bonus.

That "It" disc seems a lot like the Westside Underworld, except a bit more stable (going by flight numbers). Should be a good beginner disc. Assuming you throw RHBH and you release it flat (sideways angle), and it hooks left without ever going right, then you probably aren't throwing it with "enough" power (for its speed). Nothing wrong with that, but you won't see big gains from going to an even faster disc. If it sometimes goes right, sometimes goes left, sometimes goes straight - then it sounds like a matter of angle control. Or wind!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a bad round yesterday, I was tired and the course was crowded. But I did learn a thing that seems obvious in retrospect.

I had shanked a drive way left into an area with way too many trees. Trying to find some way to get just past them, I pulled out my Berg in K1 Soft plastic. Of course I hammered that right into a tree :sigh:. However, because it's so soft it just kinda folded in on itself, folded out, and then fell straight down. All the energy had gone into folding the disc so there was no kick left.

Now I kinda want to get a K1 Soft Falk or similar driver, just for the gimmick with those drives where you don't want to risk a hard kick. There are plenty of trees around here.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Did they cancel events in affirming states? I can’t decipher the PR speak.

Yeah basically. The argument is that they don't want to fight any more lawsuits, to which the obvious answer is "then let her play".

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Catrina Allen is probably the most vocal anti-trans FPO player, but she definitely isn't alone. There were a lot of big names on that declaration some months ago, including Kristin Tattar and Jennifer Allen.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last fall, Natalie Ryan, a trans woman, won the DGLO tournament's FPO division, an elite series tournament. Her ranking otherwise puts her in the top 20 or so.

Over the winter, the DGPT announced rules effectively banning women who have transitioned post puberty from competing in the FPO. Before that I believe they followed the more lenient Olympic guidelines from 2015. Those are based on max levels of testosterone (for trans athletes only), time since transition, etc.
The new rules only apply to the DGPT. A-series tournaments still follow the previous rules, but obviously have less prestige and smaller prizes.

Natalie Ryan said she would sue to be allowed to compete in the DGPT, and she did. I don't think any of that has been settled yet, but there have been temporary rulings. In California, for the OTB Open she got a temporary ruling allowing her to compete, then PDGA appealed and won the appeal, so she only got to play one round. In Minnesota she also sued, and competed in the Preserve tournament at the end of June, placing 14th.

Simultaneously to this, in this spring after the new rules came out, several prominent (cis) players have protested trans inclusion in the sport saying it's unfair blah blah.

Now the DGPT has cancelled FPO tournaments in several states where she'd be likely to win a lawsuit. I believe most/all of those tournaments have been moved to the A series.

Mcqueen posted:

What a gross organization. I can’t see myself supporting this sport at the pro level.

Yeah.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. In my head I'm thinking if elite, touring FPO players wont play A-tier events, than a player who would otherwise be top 20 FPO in the world (Natalie Ryan) but limited to A-Tier events will be running roughshod over the usual A-Tier field. Maybe this is some tinfoil hat poo poo, but it seems like this would only incite assholes already living in an TERF echo chamber that Natalie or players like her have no place in disc golf. It's almost as if this was by design?

Bag talk:
My watermelon Voyager Lite is starting to tear at the pockets and is pretty worn. Looking for a sick replacement that will hold up longer than a year and a half. I usually carry around 12 discs, a water bottle and a light rainshirt so I don't need a huge bag. All my usual 4-some have the AX5 from GRIPeq which seems like a great compromise of price, durability and size. I did come across the Pound Rufus which seems very stout and just about perfect for what I carry (and the turquoise color is woooo). What say you thread?

Also I bought a Gripeq Paige Pierce G2 shoulder bag some time ago that just does not work for me. If anyone is interested I'd ship it out for 60 bucks. Used twice.

I had to look back, and you were the one warning me about your bag when I mentioned that I'd bought a Voyager Lite (teal) - I'm glad there's not a regular epidemic of those bags falling apart. I still like mine, although it is a bit heavy.

For other brands, I think Squatch is also well liked although I haven't been able to find them here in Europe wouldn't get the Catrina Allen signature model!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's more luck than skill, but getting a throw into the basket from outside circle 2 feels so good.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't really throw with that much power, but I love both the envy and spin as throwing putters. Everyone knows the envy.

The spin (R2 Neutron) is fairly deep and rounded (near the flight plate, so not really like a Løft Bohrium, and way less in any case), A power grip feels a little weird on it, if that's your style. It's by far the disc I have that has the least amount of fade, essentially zero. Even a low speed throw, upwards over some bushes, will just stall and fall straight down.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I saw it when I ordered, but I had completely forgotten it again.

The dark gray overmold rim on the Powergrip/MVP Glitsch is glow plastic! The effect is weak, but it's a nice blue color.

Edit: even the flight plate is speckled with fluorescent "particles". They fade within a few seconds but it's still super cool.

NFX fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 11, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I threw a pink fairway driver in a field of not particularly tall grass. It flew behind a bush and disappeared, even after I spent 30 minutes looking. I've lost that disc before, I bet it'll come home again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

thotsky posted:

People who write their name and phone number on discs. Are you expecting me to take hours out of my day to return you something that costs 15 bucks?

I expect you to swim across Kattegat and deliver it to me in person!