Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Always pay your ace funds. Hit two in the last 6 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Innova is dope. Discmania is dope. Most manufacturers are dope. Companies make like 75% the same discs with a few signature discs for each brand. Why you don't like Innova?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Anton is getting his white pride tattoo covered. There was an announcement from Innova (the same day as #respecthergame came out) What else can he do?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
This local guy has a good video. He's a math teacher so good at teaching I'd say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfD3oLMoKI

Also I've been reading a pitching book someone recommended me. Once I started thinking about hip/shoulder separation more my forehand is getting better. Haven't been doing it too much because I tried to throw some hard the other day and hurt myself.

Final tip I overheard. Puff your chest out at the end. It was told as kind of like pushing a football practice sled (which I've never done) but the whole idea of getting your chest up and out also helps.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So any brands/models that are a little wider and taller than most? Or should I give up on a lighter runner model and just get big ol' clonky hiking boots?

I have some Oboz, I'd say there is plenty of room in the ball of the foot and they're the most durable of this stye of shoe I've ever had vs Salomon, Adidas, Columbias. The ones I got are $145 though and most of their line looks pretty technical but they have some low waterproof ones that look mostly like normal trail-ish shoes. https://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-sypes-low-waterproof I did have a hot spot on the top of my plant foot over the ball but it turned out the tongue had a little extra fold in it that got overlooked in QA, once I smoothed it out it went away (and stopped tying that part of the shoe so drat tight, now I only snug them tight higher up on my foot in general on any shoes, feet are much happier.)

My other tip is though: Just wear normal sneakers and save the waterproof trail runners for when it's actually wet outside.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 2, 2021

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well it's spring in Vermont, so that's gonna be a while.

Currently only a couple places around are open, and they're free courses, which is nice, but because of that less maintenance, especially the tee boxes. Giant mud pits, very little to no gravel, certainly not concrete.

I think they sell those Oboz at REI, I would go check them out. They have an aggressive tread, but not too aggressive for concrete when you use those kinda pads. And when you do, the sole has barely "ground" down at all from throwing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Disc golf fuckin' owns. While I've had the innova starter set for like 2 years, this summer I've finally been bitten by the bug. Solid 5 weeks of going out every weekend to play with friends. Even if I have a bad round, I'm still just throwing disc with friends in the woods, so a good time.

I really suck at putting, getting better, but often I'll miss from 20 feet out and my disc ends up past the basket 20 feet out again, which is maddening. Drives are inconsistent at best, 1 in every 10 I'll actually do everything right and get some decent distance. I really should just practice more but oh well. Right now I'm content with a bogey round. Hit my pars when I can, and try not to double or triple bogey.

This weekend will be my first time going out with a larger group. There's gonna be 6 of us, all different skill levels. I'm sure we'll be letting a lot of people play through. But I'm real excited. Just want to throw disc

Awesome. Sometimes I want to get good and practice a lot, sometimes I just wanna go goof off and throw discs.

It takes a while to find a putting stroke that works for you. Try adjusting your grip different ways. Also make sure your follow through is pointing at the basket and use your brain to visualize hitting one individual link. Helps a lot.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS USDGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPs 2021 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JAMES CONRAD. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME PUTTS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY THREW IN AN ENVY FROM 247 FT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

(I threw in an Envy 185' or so the other night to win league by a stroke.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Then there are other companies that just make stamps for discs that have a huge following. Look up https://dfxdiscs.com/

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Played the same course Mon-Thurs of this week, short tees to long baskets first 2 days then short tees to short baskets second two days, feels good :toot:

Shaved 7 point off my score just from Wednesday to Thursday. Watching and really thinking about your form really does help, who would've thought?! Playing a different course on Monday right by the big disc golf store here in the city, definitely gonna pick up a Buzz but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Are you forehanding or backhanding your Wraith and Boss and what plastics are they? They're both stabler discs depending on the plastic.

Sidewinder
FD
Leopard/Leopard3
Escape
Essence
Undertaker
Heat
Beast
Hatchet
Vandal
River

Then you got Prodigy discs but I can't remember what they have in that area.

I like 9-speed rims the best but there's tons of slower fairway drivers. Any of those in premium plastic should work well. You want something like 9/4-5/0-(-3)/0-3 to compliment your more stable discs.

Get a Reactor over a Buzzz if they have them they're dope.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Those are cool but not legal in a sanctioned tournament.

Sharpies can also make cool art on discs if you don't want to get into the whole dying thing and they hold up pretty well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Whelp trying Disc Golf for the first time tomorrow. Apparently we have a pretty large and active community of disc golf people and a few courses are only 30 minutes away from me. Got invited to meet up with some people and pretty drat excited
Since the Buzz in the OP appears to be sold out I ordered this one for the mid range and for the putter
That was before seeing how the owner of Innova is so at some point I'm likely to get some other disc. I love the crazy look of some of the disc but let's see if I like the sport before buying more. Will post a report tomorrow

You picked the right discs. Well, I don't like the Aviar too much but the Mako3 is great. I bought one today actually. Next on your list for drivers is probably the Leopard or Leopard3.

Elysium posted:

Got my longest throw yet, all it took was concentration on form a big tailwind and a 30 foot elevation drop. My normal average is far shorter. Hoping to hit 500 one day. I’m curious to what extent age is a limiting factor. If I started at 25 (or like… 6 like half of these pros it seems) instead of 36 would I be boosting that extra 50-100 feet?

Terns bomb. I try to evangelize Terns all the time. Second best bomber is Westside Sorcerer. Current bomber: Used Infinite Sphinx Zoe Andyke edition.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

highme posted:

Also, there was a guy in the group ahead of us that was throwing a weird overhanded forehand on drives that looks like it could be fun. The disc rotated slowly as it reached the peak and dropped, anybody know what that might be called so I can look at youtubes.

A tomahawk or a thumber. They pan different directions. There is also the grenade, but that uses more of a backhand motion. Look up "disc golf utility shots" on Youtube for an overview. Be careful, they hurt my arm a lot but my rotator cuff is kind of a wimp.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

highme posted:

Yep, that was it, thanks!

Why you're at it, look into forehand rollers. They are a utility shot I use all the time. Not so much for drives but for getting out of trouble/dealing with low ceilings with a putter or mid.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just sign it and have whomever sign it that's with you. Don't matter.

I got one at league Fri for $200. Hadn't had one in almost a year!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've been studying form for a long time so maybe this guy won't help 'cause I already have a lot of knowledge.

But some of his videos have finally made certain things click for me, might check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCys7gcYGyBtPYxYxrlGzO1Q

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The Yikun base plastic is the same as Discmania Active base plastic and is actually very good.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
A guy goes by Disc Golf Strong has a lot of disc golf strength stuff.

And when you practice putting don't just keep doing it when you stop paying attention, that doesn't do any good. When you stop concentrating quick practicing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for custom print jobs on a disc? My best friend of two decades (and the guy who got me into this hobby) is moving up north and I want to get him a disc with our picture on it as a forget-me-not.

For just one you'll probably want someone to make a stencil and die it or you can do a Dyemax disc from Dynamic Discs. The latter is a full color print of whatever on a a disc. I think they're 30 ish bucks and disc choice varies.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I have an Uplink which is more stable than a paradox but still flippy as gently caress. I use it to get out of trouble. Like a forehand that needs to go left or a backhand that needs to go right.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You can get a pro, DX, or used Destroyer or lighter.

Or just throw a Tern instead.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My Facebook is just dog pictures and disc golf stuff. Good luck not letting Facebook seep into everything else ad-wise though.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You don't have to pay for it to use it in league - you just have to pay if you want to keep track of more than X rounds per year. And it's like a couple bucks a month. Well worth it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG38sH8fwSM

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Thinking of getting into Streamline discs

I really like the Drift and Lift a little less. Pilot is also really popular. They have good plastic (MVP) and were cheaper than most discs last time I bought one.

headcase posted:

I found an unmarked nova today... worth a try?

It's good for getting good - you got to throw it real smooth for it to go straight and smooth.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Quantrill posted:

i love finding the disc that just becomes your go-to for a while. Mine has been a Thrasher so far this year.

Found a Halo Savant in the used bin the other day. Think it's my new go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Gotta buy used Innova discs if you want something understable. Everything new is always overstable for a while.

MVP often do what they say out of the box unless it's that cosmic plastic.

Trilogy breaks in real fast. Good for US discs.