Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I just started playing in March of 2022 with a group of friends/coworkers as a completely clueless newbie. What started out as a monthly goof off game, turned in to a full blown obsession by August. As a 45 year old dude that hasn't been terribly engaged in anything remotely athletic in 30 years, I'm having a blast.

This holiday season I went a little nuts buying disc golf stuff for myself. Discmania mystery box, a nice practice basket, an Upper Park Rebel bag, and probably another 20 or so random discs. Next up I'm going to have to figure out some disc storage with all the excess stuff I currently can't or don't throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

If you have an IKEA near you, there’s a really great shelf that is the perfect size for discs that I use. I’ll see if I can find the name when I get home.

Where’s Simon going? MVP? Infinite? Franklin?

Yeah I found these after a little more searching. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vesken-shelf-unit-black-30450807/

I bookmarked it for later. The box my new vacuum came in was almost the perfect size and fit neatly under my bed, so I just hacked it up a little. This will do for now.

Blurb3947 posted:

Franklin would be hilarious. I threw one of their drivers a few years ago and it was the most under stable thing I've ever thrown. Like, past roller angles.

That's the joke. They only make dogshit token effort starter pack discs as far as I know.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Placeholder posted:

So I broke the radial bone of my right arm about a month ago and it looks like it's going to be a while until I'm able to throw discs using that hand again. I still want to throw though so I guess I'm going to give learning to throw lefty a go. Have any of you tried learning to throw with your off-hand?

My forehand is so bad that I've given it some serious consideration. I played baseball in my youth, so off hand backhand feels pretty familiar.

I watched a video where some guys compared that Franklin starter set with other sets and they are irredeemable trash. The "mid range" and "driver" are virtually identical and flip over immediately.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm sure the laugh you get out of it will be worth the 13 bucks but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g26kdVS0yw&t=19s

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

Simon to MVP! Between him and James Conrad, Team MVP is now “Team Most Likable Guys on Tour”

Plus, check out the glow Hex tour series. I got a Hex from the space race last year but I’ll def be getting another… the addiction to plastic is real.

Seriously. I've never even held any MVP discs, but I watched Simon's new in the bag video and now I'm intrigued. I did end up dropping by Ikea for a couple of those Vesken shelves, so fortunately I have a lot more space to fill.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm a complete novice, but I've got probably 7 different molds and have practiced a ton with all of them. I really like the Discmania Link for putting. It's got a very slight bead on the rim that just feels great to me.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Quantrill posted:

i love finding the disc that just becomes your go-to for a while. Mine has been a Thrasher so far this year.

I'm kind of in that same neighborhood right now. I had been trying to find something with the right amount of turn for my arm speed in calm conditions and picked up a Hades and a Vanish. The Vanish is a touch more stable than the Hades for me, but both are competing for longest disc in my bag when its not too windy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sorry for the Reddit link, but this is hilarious. Florida man tries to retrieve a disc from water next to a gator, and it escalates from there.

https://redd.it/13j9hyr

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Even funnier that it was a borrowed disc. Some people worry too much about what other people are doing.

I really wish I hadn't ignored all the people saying just "throw putters (and mids)" when you are getting started. I've been playing not quite a year and a half now, and I never cleaned up my release. As my general form got better and I added more power, I eventually got to the point where everything short of a 10 speed would just wobble and burn. Never put two and two together somehow. Don't skip steps, folks!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

calandryll posted:

A friend has a lasercat disc that I love. More companies need to make stuff like that. I'd love a happy cat one.

Trilogy (Lat64, Dynamic, Westside) has a bunch of discs on which they will do a custom printed stamp for you. We have a group of 15 or so people at work that play together pretty regularly, so we had a big batch of Vandals made up with a company logo for not very much money. They did have a significant amount of flashing I had to sand off but otherwise came out really well. They come in the midrange Gold/Fuzion/Tournament plastic.

Starts at $25 for one disc. They also have a bunch of goofy random pre-made stamps.

https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/collections/custom-disc-golf-discs

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

thotsky posted:

People who write their name and phone number on discs. Are you expecting me to take hours out of my day to return you something that costs 15 bucks?

To add to the dogpile on your baitpost, I have several well seasoned discs in my bag that are worth more to me than the literal $20 replacement cost.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

No reasonable person expects a stranger to spend more than 5 minutes of effort on their behalf to get them their disc back. I expect most people just keep the disc, and that's fine. None of the eight or so discs I've lost in the last year and a half have been returned.

It takes 15 seconds to put your name and number on the disc. There's no reason not to, and there are some decent people out there that will spend a small amount of effort helping you out. Even if it is unlikely.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

Hell yeah dawg. How will you know which putter (the most important disc in your bag) is for you if you don’t try them all?

In a very short amount of time disc golf became my primary hobby and preferred form of exercise, but I absolutely have an addiction to buying discs at this point. It took me a long time to find a putting putter that felt right (settled on PA3's), so I have probably 19 different putter molds. Do not follow my example. Envy is best, and grab a Proxy as a straight to understable compliment.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

americanzero4128 posted:

drat, this is what I've been doing wrong.

Edit - for a quality post, I've been using an Infinite Discs Alpaca putter for the past couple months (because it has the coolest art if you get the marauder stamp) and it's doing pretty well for me. The new Alien Aztec stamp is pretty cool though too. I throw my discs based off what artwork is cool and so far it hasn't let me down.

Thoughtspace has ton of great artwork on their discs. It's 100% gotten me to give them a shot, and I ended up bagging a couple.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

You know, I intended to mention that in my post, but it fell out of my brain before I finished typing.

Currently bagging a Pathfinder for straight to slightly understable mid shots and a Mantra for longer turnover shots. I picked up a couple Constructs I'm still figuring out as well. The art on all of them is great.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

I also just got selected to be a brand ambassador for Upper Park! Making stupid videos on Instagram is finally paying off. I should get my code here soon if anybody wants to buy something from them. The Rebel I got for Christmas last year has been amazing. Plenty of space to put everything you could possibly need.

That's pretty cool. I bought myself a Rebel for Christmas last year. Its pretty much perfect, but as a nit pick I wish it were a little more stable on uneven ground. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

thotsky posted:

My mako3 chafes my index finger so bad.

I picked up a Star Mako3 last year since everyone raves about them, and it had a crazy amount of flashing on the inner rim that I had to sand down. I can't throw it (or a Buzzz) straight to save my life, but I'm sure that's just my form/release. Eclipse Hex is my straightest mid.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Threw my Grace into the brush today, found it, threw my up shot, then left it on the ground like a dumbass. The guy playing behind us found it and called me before I even realized it was gone. First lost disk I've had returned. It does happen!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah give that Wave a shot before counting it out. It's a great disc, even if you don't have a gigantic arm. If you can make use of a PD, you can throw a Wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

OTB has a couple regular-ish price options if you aren't picky about color or stamp.

https://otbdiscs.com/?s=Chroma+fd&post_type=product