Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

fociP posted:

Save your black discs and join us for the true madness that is winter disc golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgLwhc5eC4

I got to play Brookview like a week before they closed it, fun little temp course!

I'm someone who got into disc golf not for the chill aspects, but because I've been really wanting something competitive in my life again. It's been a lot of fun, although the last two years I haven't gotten to play nearly as many tournaments as I wished. I do not play just to get out and drink or smoke, I play to win. Even if it means throwing 150ft at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not to mention it can track stats across every round you play, even if you have someone else using the app (they can choose to either track scores or scores+stats), it'll just pop up on your Udisc saying that a round has been entered for you. They just added Leagues to it so nobody has to trade hands for a scorecard and you can watch other groups in real time too. I will always support them!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got a couple disc golf weekend getaways each year and this year we did like 115 holes in 3 days that included almost 30 miles of walking. What a loving blast my arm is dead

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

net work error posted:

What's the best way to practice in like a backyard or something? I finally caved and bought one of those Innova starter sets that has a driver, midrange, and putter and ready to get out there.

Depends on how big of a yard you've got. I've got barely enough to practice putting so I got myself a basket and any field work I just go to a soccer field or somewhere with space.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr Intergalactic posted:

My boss said I could leave work early yesterday but only if I went to play a round with him. But then I went to play my weekly after work game with the guys. Turns out two rounds in one day is one too many rounds. Glad I picked up a shoulder strap ice pack. Whew.

I haven't been able to make it out too much this year but once you get a solid week or two of rounds in you'll be able to do 36 no problem.

BTW the world record for holes completed in 24 hours is 2,900.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

The opposite side of the rule is my normal course, which has 18 holes crammed very densely with almost no bushes at all, so there are multiple holes where throwing from out of bounds is clearly better than taking the penalty.

But landing out of bounds means you take a penalty stroke, even if you throw from the lie or wind it back to where it went OB.

I did just call out a friend because he was step putting within Circle 1 all the time and I felt like a total dick about it lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
In the world of controversy, the founders of Innova unwaveringly support Joshua Anthon after he murdered a person and is in hot water for having a "white pride" tattoo.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/09/29/anthon-white-pride-tattoo-sparks-new-backlash-innova-boycott

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sound_man posted:

After a few days of unplayable weather I got back on the driving range and course today. It was a bit chilly (like 55ish) but the sun was out.

The next town over has a mini disc golf course and a disc golf driving range that share a parking lot. The driving range has two tee pads and is mostly flat with distance signs out to 650 feet. This is my secound day of really trying to work on my drives. The first time I had 20 discs out, some stuff that was way too fast for me. This time I focused on ten discs between a speed of 5 and 7 to try and work on my form. I seem to be stuck at 200. I'm pretty happy with the grouping but not much got further than 225'. I'm trying to follow Page Peirce and Dan Beto's guide but I'm having a hell of a time getting everything to time out correctly.

I did get my first ace on Thanksgiving day, it was on a 133' hole but it was still awesome. I had hit chains and rimmed out on a few other holes at that course so it felt good to land one.

Hell yeah! Nice job! An ace is an ace, no matter the length. My first and only one came on a 95ft hole my first year, now I'm coming onto year 4 and I've been close a few times since. Even chained out of a 300ft skipper just a few months ago. That felt good.

200ft was a huge hurdle for me, mostly because I was trying to muscle the disc too much or because of rounding. You should also check out Drew Gibson's channel, I think he has a lot of great pointers when it comes to form. And of course loopghost for a huge library of learning. Simon Lizotte also has interesting content along with some informative stuff too. You'll get there!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Feet face about 90 degrees from your target. Also make your front foot staggered with your back one, so that your back toes line up with your heels of the front one

Also try throwing with a nose down angle on the disc. You're likely rounding a bit and pulling on an upward angle so keep an eye out for that too. Definitely film yourself throwing from a few angles to really help visualize it from a different perspective.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not a bad score for Woodcrest either!

I am completely out of the loop on MN tournaments after deleting Facebook and I’m still mulling over if I want to get a membership or not, who knows how long it’ll be until most people are vaccinated.

Would also loveeeee if they could hold another major somewhere with public viewing. Would have been fun to watch Niko win at the Preserve last year.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I really like tracking my rounds via UDisc and have done so almost religiously since 2017 which is when I really started playing more. I’ll always try to be score keeper so I can use the “full stats” option for my round.

One thing I’ve noticed is my C1X putting has slumped considerably since then but my scores have also dropped which confused me. Then a friend mentioned that it’s likely from getting more birdie chances with those putts than putting for par or worse so the pressure is down.

Now every time I get a putt for birdie it just makes me think more about how I’m missing birdie putts and it’s a whole deal.

One thing I wish UDisc did was let someone else keep score for everyone, but merge the stats from someone else. I’ve got a few friends who’ll load up the app before I do, and others who do “full stats” too so it kinda sucks you have to segment a group like that.

Edit: looks like UDisc is adding a feature that will work with everyone in your group called CardCast haha

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 14, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That’s awesome! How do you like playing it versus ultimate? I’ve only been frolfing for like 5 years and finally broke 300ft consistently lol.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is the Innova Sonic like an Ultrastar? There’s a pretty top player that uses one pretty regularly. I don’t think I’ve thrown a frisbee of any kind since I picked up disc golf disc haha

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Throw for show, putt for dough. I think putting is the reason why my game hasn’t improved too much over the years. I can max out at like 325-350ft for driving, but still have issues with two or three putting within C1, which is a huge killer.

Hosted some friends this weekend and we put on about 30 miles of walking, played 7 different courses and over 100 holes. I should have counted how much liquids I put down lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yep. That might be one of the greatest sports moments I’ve ever seen, and I saw the butt fumble live.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You should try out a Valkyrie, River, or Escape too if you're looking for slightly understable fairway drivers. I love those discs and probably throw those more than any other drivers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
They're great discs to start on. More people should start on them. I, like many others who came before me, went the direction of buying a hundred different discs because that will definitely let me break the 200ft mark!

Just kidding it just delayed learning how to throw correctly for like a year at which point I really focused on form with slower discs. I feel like they help seeing the weaknesses in form as there's no large turn or face with them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have you filmed yourself and reviewed the footage at all? I was able to pump out a decent amount to my max just from watching it and seeing how bad it was.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Volunteer scoring at the Preserve Championship on Sunday and then helping out with spectator stuff for the final lead card. Super pumped to finally see the top pros.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Learning to slow down my form was like the single best thing for my game. As Danny Lindahl says, "Slow is smooth and smooth is far".

Also putter throwing is a great way to learn how to throw all discs straight and prevent your wrist rolling, since the slower discs will accentuate any angle it's put on.

I think I need to redo my entire putting form because I can't seem to have any sort of consistency, whether I'm playing well or not. I've done a similar style to McBeth for a few years but I'm almost always hitting the right side or just completely sailing wide. I've also had an insane number of spit outs this year including 6 in a row outside C1X. Maybe I'll try some sort of unconventional delivery or just turbo putt every time.

Also threw a Franklin branded driver and it was the most understable thing. I couldn't not turn it over past a roller angle.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I witnessed a few this year, including a guy who got his first after 5 years. He then lost it on the very next hole after throwing it into some really thick brush. Felt so bad.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Cleaned up the basement and I now have an indoor 25' practice putting spot! :toot: 59/100 shots for my first session, not too shabby.

Jelly of that setup, my Innova skillshot basket finally gave out so I had to toss it, not going to get to putt or throw for a few more months :(

One of my favorite tournaments I did like 4 years ago, Mad City Open, played at Elver. That was a lot of fun. Madison has some really nice courses real close to one another.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Very nice! I've been settling for throwing at a milk crate at my metal shop.

I managed to throw in a field for 2 hours, then play a round on New Years Eve, from the long tees, and didn't do terrible! I did much much better putting, comfortable from 18-20 ft. Playing from the long tees, I knew I wasn't going to make it to the basket from the tee, so it forced me to think of it as 2 shots just to get it there. It honestly put me in a way better spot most of the time. Playing from the shorter tees, I'd usually try to get near the basket right off the tee. That would end up with me in the woods, or with a 40 foot look. I'm not good enough to make 40 footers, so I'm still only getting par most of the time. So why not just go for control off the tee and make it there safely? I know this is dumb obvious poo poo, but there's always temptation to Just Fuckin' Go For It. It was nice to play safe for like an entire round.

Your comment gave me an idea to really practice your mid throws and upshots on a course: Penalize yourself if you hit circle 2 on the drive or 2nd throw (if you'd be shooting for birdie on par 3 or 4 respectively). This will force you to either play safe or put trust in your shot to put it in C1. Maybe add a number to the current Par just to incentivize smarter play than just going for it or something, I dunno.

I feel like I'd benefit from something like that. My drives are getting longer but shot shape still needs a lot of work. On a wide open hole I might be fine, but lol at anything else. You're right in the temptation to want to just go for it, especially when your distance is improving. I just always think of the term "Drive for show, putt for dough" because MANY of my even semi-competitive rounds comes down to making putts.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Signed up for my first tournament in 4 years, pretty excited for that now. Will probably only be able to do 2 or 3 but it will be nice to get back to competitive throwing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I realized on Monday that I've not been holding/throwing my backhand drives properly - basically wasn't getting a wrist snap to get the spin and rotational speed because I was more holding the disc how I would if I was throwing backhand in ultimate, which I'm not great at and only use for short distances. :psyduck:

Definitely already seeing and feeling the improvements of just readjusting how I use my wrist, but that means that my accuracy has now gone into the shitter, lol. Still feels good to have a literal "oh wait a minute... oh... oh poo poo this is how I really SHOULD be holding a disc!" moment.

In bad news, I was throwing out of the brush yesterday and turned my head at the exact wrong angle to take a twig completely into my ear canal. That was surprisingly painful, gently caress.

Scott Stokely, who just had one of the best throws I've ever seen to take down the GK Pro skins match, recently made a video going over how to overcome bad form because of your wrists and not throw nose up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYHFDEmwdWU

Scott's story is pretty cool too, he's been a big part of disc golf for decades and has been mostly retired since the early 2000s but came back to tour full time and is actually doing great for a 52 year old.

Edit: Here's the round he threw one of the most clutch shots I've ever seen (timestamp:45:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VqOClt18g&t=2697s

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 13, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

Holy poo poo, why have I never played two courses in one day. My second round was actually...good!

Last weekend I hosted a bunch of friends and we managed to play 161 holes, walk like 40 miles and got bit by tons of mosquitos. Absolutely drained after each day playing 3 rounds but so worth it. Some bad rounds but some really good ones too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

The most disc golf I've played is 101 holes over a 3 day weekend. And dang were my arms tired. But I also could not throw as far or as accurate as I can now. I'd like to revisit those courses and see how I fare. But jeez, 161 holes? Christ almighty.

It was much more than I was expecting, but we had a really good mix of great weather this year compared to the last few years. Definitely had some bad rounds towards the end of our venture but it was absolutely worth all of the aches and pains afterwords.

We had six people so we did team triples which is really fun. Ended up doing like 5 playoff holes with some weird rules like left hand only or grab a random disc from someone else's bag. I'd like to play a skins style match with friends too, especially after watching all the GK Pro skins videos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I bought something like 40 or 50 discs a few months after I started but then dropped down to 12 for my first full year. Think my staples were Aviar, Leopard, Buzzz, and the River. I really should buy more Rivers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played on a ski hill this week and threw a terrible shot that just kept turning and went down the skihill a good ways before I couldn't see it anymore in the trees. Didn't even bother looking for it because we had just got done climbing a good ways.

Also had this absolute crush with an Avenger SS downhill:

The flight almost followed that darkened trail. Threw it nose down hard towards the left side on a pretty good hyzer angle. Thought for sure it was done flipping when it got to flat and was going to go OB left but it picked up enough speed to flip even more to anny and then flat once I got pin high. The basket was about 150ft below where my lie was.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Are there any other discs out there that differ more per mold than Destroyers? It’s one of the only discs I have no idea how it’ll actually fly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Debating reactivating my Facebook strictly to get into some disc golf groups. I wish social media hadn’t crushed forums as the go-to online discussion platform.

My group's page is public so I didn't even have to reactivate mine to see when things are happening. I agree with your second sentence though, there needs to be a better way to push that info out that isn't owned by some data hungry company.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

What is udisc like? I am sketched out by having extra internet accounts like probably many people posting here. GPS app on my phone? Not so sure. I couldn't figure out their monetization setup so I haven't made an account yet, but it seems like its mandatory to play in any events around here.

UDisc is like the app to have for disc golfers. As most of the info is crowd-sourced, it relies on people keeping up with info of each course, which for the most part works great. GPS is only necessary for finding the nearest courses and for tracking your location per shot, but that is totally optional. You can turn it off and it may just bug you about needing it for precise location reasons. You don't really submit anymore info than an email address and name, and tie it to your PDGA number if you want. Obviously just don't use the same password to log into it as you do with other services.

As for mandatory for events? No way. It does support leagues and tournament scoring but is by no means a requirement for players.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Mcqueen I just want to say that that John Clayton sketch is one of my favorite things on tv ever.

I didn't throw some discs today, but I did sign up for a tournament so yay

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nothing worse than ripping a good throw and the flight looks perfect only for it to make contact with the smallest obstacle in the fairway and go way wide. I had maybe 3 of those tonight, one on an ace run.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yep. Been there nearly every year after wanting to push my distance or consistency. For driving, filming myself has been the best thing for getting a look at what you’re doing, obviously. I did a session at 120fps and that really helps when I’m scrubbing through video to get the fine details of motion.

For putting… lol I have no idea. My C1X % has been the lowest out of every year I’ve played. I’m hitting GIR much more but the scores don’t quite reflect because I can’t putt. Really need to find a new stroke and hone in on the mechanics.

Also throwing putters for distance was a big help for my mid range game since putters really exemplify the angles you throw.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My friend grip locked a throw and hit a black ace. Absolute laser straight towards it. It was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
There’s one in my area too. I haven’t done one since like 2016.

Also played a tournament this weekend during an absolute downpour. Played conservatively and tried to minimize mistakes, was pretty happy with shooting almost 10 over but that would have put me tied for 3rd in Open (I play INT). Shot a 950 rated round which is by far my best round ever.

Then fatigue set in and I got nervous and I ended up 3rd in my division. Still won $75 in funny money!