Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I'm surprised this thread isn't talking about this tech bro who is suing his Everest guide for canceling the climb once they were in base camp due to hazards on the route: https://www.geekwire.com/2020/seattle-mountaineering-guide-legal-battle-tech-ceo-wants-refund-failed-everest-climb/

quote:

Of Madison’s 13 Everest expeditions, 10 have reached the summit. He failed in the spring of 2014 when an ice avalanche killed 16 Sherpas in the mountain’s Khumbu Icefall. The following year, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake hit Nepal, killing 9,000 people, including 22 at Everest Base Camp. Madison’s third miss came last October, on the trip with Bookman, when a towering serac, or tower of ice, was hanging over the climbing route and he called off the expedition.

Autumn is a challenging time to attempt Everest. There hasn’t been a successful summit of the mountain in the fall season since 2010, and before that, 2006, Madison said.

Bookman said he was invited by Madison to join a small team that included Kristin Bennett, president and CEO of a tech and science consulting firm in Boston, who had climbed with Madison previously, as well as Joe Vernachio, CEO of outdoor gear maker Mountain Hardwear, and Tim Emmett, an extreme athlete who is sponsored by Mountain Hardwear.

By Oct. 3, Madison was still watching and waiting for the cliff of ice to fall and clear the way for a summit attempt. Located high above the Khumbu Icefall, it was midway between Base Camp and Camp 1 and estimated to weigh some 27,000 tons by another team that was there.

Three days later, Madison tweeted and blogged again that the Everest expedition had come to an end.

The decision to cancel caught Bookman by surprise, and in legal documents and an interview with GeekWire, he disputed the reason for why the trip was called off, questioning the mountain readiness of Vernachio as well as Madison’s commitment to the expedition beyond the Mountain Hardwear element of it all.

“I think Mr. Bookman wanted to continue climbing. And he was not afraid of the risk,” Madison said. “If he were on a personal expedition, he could pursue climbing the mountain on his own. The reason people hire me is, I believe, not only for logistical support, but also as the decision maker on the mountain. Because of all of my experience and my safety record.”

Bookman signed a contract to make the trip with Madison Mountaineering in which he assumed the risk that weather and safety issues could cause problems with the expedition. The company’s no-refund policy is explicit in those documents. The same contract also recommended participants get trip-cancellation insurance, which Bookman declined to do.

“The contracts they sign to go on the trip are pretty explicit that there are no refunds,” Madison told GeekWire. “If they don’t understand why I can always explain why. Once the trip has begun we’ve spent the money on permits, the logistics, the accommodations, the equipment, the Sherpas, the oxygen, the food, the guide service, etc. There’s no guarantee of reaching the summit or even a specific high point on the peak. I would say everybody understands this.”

In an attempt to protect himself against the costly litigation filed in California, Madison filed his own suit (see PDF at bottom) in King County Superior Court in Seattle on Aug. 4. seeking a declaratory judgment that would cut off Bookman’s path to a refund. Madison’s suit alleges that Bookman “knows it would be much cheaper” for Madison to pay him off rather than go to trial.

The suit calls Bookman the CEO of a “technology company valued at $290 million” who is performing a “shakedown” that puts a mountain guide like Madison, and future guides, in the position of “take me to the summit or die trying, or I will sue.”

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, the dummy didn't get trip insurance, he's a multimillionaire, he's doing because he's butthurt. Leave him in a crevasse.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jesus christ the well of pointless vindictiveness from the rich just never runs dry does it?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If you live in a world where nothing is ever denied to you because you can just pay to make it happen, having something denied to you(for reasons out of anyone's control - not that you, theoretical rich person, care about that) must feel like the most grievous insult possible. The solution is to use your money to punish whoever you think is insulting you.

quote:

“I don’t mind if they think I’m some titan of industry, but they act like I own the entirety of the company,” Bookman said. “He wants a narrative that I’m trying to pick on this mountain guide who’s earning a humble living, and that’s not accurate. It strikes me as odd because this business is based on taking people who have jobs and professions, other than mountaineering, into extreme environments. So I don’t know why you’d want to insult your clientele.”

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I can just hear that “other than mountaineering” thrown in with slightly too much of a pause

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If litter wasn't such a problem I'd suggest taking him back up the mountain then punting him off the top. So I'd make do with a good old fashioned guillotine.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Take all the rich assholes of the world, chopper them up to the summit and then leave them there to die. That would make the mountain so holy to me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus christ the well of pointless vindictiveness from the rich just never runs dry does it?

No really this is a good thing, because when this entitled poo poo loses his case and stamps his little feets in rage, every mountaineering company will have TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT YOU CAN DIE ON THIS MOUNTAIN ITS YOUR LIFE YOU MORON in bold capitals on the contract and force them to sign it off in triplicate before they let them set foot on a plane and everyone, from the mountain to the guides will be happier and safer. Perhaps slightly poorer, but safer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ewe2 posted:

No really this is a good thing, because when this entitled poo poo loses his case and stamps his little feets in rage, every mountaineering company will have TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT YOU CAN DIE ON THIS MOUNTAIN ITS YOUR LIFE YOU MORON in bold capitals on the contract and force them to sign it off in triplicate before they let them set foot on a plane and everyone, from the mountain to the guides will be happier and safer. Perhaps slightly poorer, but safer.

That Canadian woman had guides telling her 'you're in danger, you need to turn around, you're going to die, get going like right now' and she still refused to leave and dithered about on the peak for half an hour taking photos. Her last words were something like 'please don't leave me here to die'. So yeah clients shouldn't have any decision making authority once they hit basecamp.

Unless they have 'body litter removal insurance' to pay for needlessly expensive retrieval. Then I can get behind that.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Outrail posted:

That Canadian woman had guides telling her 'you're in danger, you need to turn around, you're going to die, get going like right now' and she still refused to leave and dithered about on the peak for half an hour taking photos. Her last words were something like 'please don't leave me here to die'. So yeah clients shouldn't have any decision making authority once they hit basecamp.

Unless they have 'body litter removal insurance' to pay for needlessly expensive retrieval. Then I can get behind that.

Just call it a core charge like they do with car parts; if you don't bring back your body you don't get your deposit back

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Hey folks, while I don't disagree with your sentiments of the tech guy suing the guide company for mother nature giving him the finger, let's try to curb the outright blood lust and stay quasi on topic. It might be a little off-putting for someone coming into this thread for the first time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure those firms already have contracts that say their guides can call off an expedition at any time. That was part of that reality show about an expedition company; the head guy was constantly evaluating if the climb was even going to happen or not and he could deny individuals if they weren't acclimating well or were fuckups in general.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm pretty sure those firms already have contracts that say their guides can call off an expedition at any time. That was part of that reality show about an expedition company; the head guy was constantly evaluating if the climb was even going to happen or not and he could deny individuals if they weren't acclimating well or were fuckups in general.

Yup. The story says that not only was that clause in the contract, the contract also recommended buying trip insurance, which the CEO didn't.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Verman posted:

Hey folks, while I don't disagree with your sentiments of the tech guy suing the guide company for mother nature giving him the finger, let's try to curb the outright blood lust and stay quasi on topic. It might be a little off-putting for someone coming into this thread for the first time

the whole point of this thread is to mock rich idiots who do nothing but exploit locals and die

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

i say swears online posted:

the whole point of this thread is to mock rich idiots who do nothing but exploit locals and die

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “credit card declined” meme but for Sherpas.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

i say swears online posted:

Mocking idiots who die due to their own stupidity and privilege is fine. Being pissed that they exploit the locals and endanger them with their stupidity is good. Openly calling for the guillotine not so much. Basically, schadenfreude good, bloodlust bad.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Nah, guillotine the rich.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The whole “how dare you wish death upon ghouls whose lifestyles of excess are fueled by grinding normal people into dust?” bullshit will become increasingly risible as more people die from pandemic, pandemic-induced bankruptcy, and police brutality all with enthusiastic state approval so long as market performance sates the capital class.

But sure, let’s cry huge tears for the vampires. Seems good and reasonable. Definitely don’t keep a mental inventory of conveniently nearby lampposts at all times.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

The whole “how dare you wish death upon ghouls whose lifestyles of excess are fueled by grinding normal people into dust?” bullshit will become increasingly risible as more people die from pandemic, pandemic-induced bankruptcy, and police brutality all with enthusiastic state approval so long as market performance sates the capital class.

But sure, let’s cry huge tears for the vampires. Seems good and reasonable. Definitely don’t keep a mental inventory of conveniently nearby lampposts at all times.

you are ridiculous and childish

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, boo, down with this type of thing!
I come to the Dunning-Kruger's graveyard for my sensible, grown up chat, something something comedy forums...

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
gas

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Eh, works for me. This thread got tossed to the rsf when it first got made. After chatting with HGB, he's been missing it in GBS (and I feel its overall tone fits better there) but doesn't want to have me just move this over, so whoever wants to, make a new OP in GBS and once thats done, I'll punt this version into the graveyard.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2020

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Move it to CSPAM

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Elmnt80 posted:

Eh, works for me. This thread got tossed to the rsf when it first got made. After chatting with HGB, he's been missing it in GBS (and I feel its overall tone fits better there) but doesn't want to have me just move this over, so whoever wants to, make a new OP in GBS and once thats done, I'll punt this version into the graveyard.

I had no idea it was here, managed to bookmark it somehow. Yeah, definitely GBS foder

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolfy posted:

Move it to CSPAM

That might work. It usually gets quickly poo poo up in GBS.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wolfy posted:

Move it to CSPAM

This is the solution

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Move it to Business, finance and careers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

That might work. It usually gets quickly poo poo up in GBS.

This thread came up in the GBS OSHA thread and a GBS mod said they'd be willing to deal with the shitposters if it went back to GBS.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I would be happy to have it back in GBS if someone makes a good op, that thread had great book and movie recommendations.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

No issues probing for threadshitting.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Just want to second the thread had some amazing book recommendations. "Buried in the Sky" talked about the climbers during the 08 K2 tragedy, focusing on the Sherpa guides (which most of the media ignored).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
cspam seems like a good fit for the threads mentality of eating the rich

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Minrad posted:

cspam seems like a good fit for the threads mentality of eating the rich

Can't eat the rich if they are frozen solid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

yaffle posted:

Just preserving them for later.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yaffle posted:

not with that attitude

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301

Old thread for reference, to GBS it goes!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ground floor base camp

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Adios old Everest Thread location, may your corpse strewn mass be a warning to us all.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

welcome back to GBS my old friend

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
does anyone have a good write-up or article about the canadian woman and what happened to her?

I remember hopping into whatever thread it was when they started talking about her, and everyone laughing at her photoshopping herself into everest and literally doing no training for the mountain whatsoever, and then, woops, she died,

but I wasn't really following the whole saga and I'd find it interesting. thanks

also I finished reading into thin air not too long ago and while it was a good and interesting book I had a weird feeling about it, like, the way krakauer assigned motivations to people and tried to sort of make characters out of them with playing around with the blame. it's been too long for me to bring up specifics tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

My eye doctor has her summit listed on her webpage. She owns though so not sure if I mind it. I asked her about it and she said there was a line at the top. I was like drat, I wouldn't get on four planes and climb 20 miles or whatever to have the same experience that I can have holding my breath at costco.