Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MW posted:

I have unironically been thinking of climbing Everest (via a guided expedition of course). But I probably won't because of the risks involved and I couldn't do that to my wife and children. Nevertheless, wife has given me OK to go to first base camp and I'm looking at going 2022.

Please don't climb the thing. Give the money to local people instead and feel the glow that comes from not risking anyone else's life.

I'll never forget that 'Everest' TV show - one of the guys was sitting on the mountain and saying earnestly "There's nothing in my life more important than my children" and I couldn't help but think, well obviously there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I know what you mean about all the countryside in the UK being heavily human-influenced but I think there's plenty of beauty to be found. It's all subjective though I guess - if evidence of human activity is automatically unbeautiful to you then yeah, I guess there's not many places to go. The Lake District is gorgeous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I remember driving with a boyfriend from Chicago to Macomb, Illinois. It wasn't a hugely long drive but boy there was just nothing there for so long. It was January so there was no corn and it looked like the drat Moon. I saw a hill once and watched it go by for minutes on end.

That old cliche is 'The British think 100 miles is a long way, and Americans think 100 years is a long time' and it's held absolutely true. My brother's about to move 200 miles away to Hull and my mum is distraught.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Do the people on that show cooperate or are they all individually alone?

Because the best piece of advice I ever heard about wilderness survival is that the #1 best most effective tactic is to not be alone, and the less alone you are, the better your survival chances are.

They are all individually alone and separated by water or mountains so they can't hike to one another.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Rinkles posted:

wouldn't that just be further reason to think it's staged?

I mean I saw one lady cut the poo poo out of her hand with an axe. That didn't look staged. Why would you think it's staged? People camp in woods like that all the time. Things can go wrong and people can get hurt in lots of these kinds of reality shows.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Mash posted:

I don't understand. Don't antibiotics solve this problem?

That depends on how quickly you start treatment, and which bacteria are involved. Not all bacteria are easily killed by antibiotics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there anywhere I can watch Alone as a dirty foreigner? My usual Linux ISO sites are failing me.

I mean, some of it's on dailymotion. It's all files though so you might wanna check through streaming services first.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Switchback posted:

I hated survivorman for the same reason. He’s miserable and bitching about working the cameras the whole time.

I’m hoping that the Primitive Technology dude is getting a cable series soon. He’s amazing. He doesn’t talk so turn on subs, they explain what is happening.

https://youtu.be/-cgQUrdBoaM

This is really cool and satisfying to watch! Thanks for posting the link.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's a mountain-climbing game out called Insurmountable but I doubt it'll let you caulk your wagon to get up the Hillary Step.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Did these people fall into unmarked springs while in the backcountry? I'm sorry they died horrible deaths but I've seen too many idiots standing off trail next to 'GROUND IS THIN HERE DO NOT STAND EXTREME HEAT DANGER' signs to feel all that much sympathy. Maybe this makes me a bad person. Those quotes do sound a bit grim.

I think it's possible to have sympathy for someone dying a horrific, painful death even if they were stupid and caused it themselves.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I only have so much sympathy. I'm sorry. There are too many horrible things in the world and too many people to feel bad for people who read the sign that says YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO THIS and then do it. I have sympathy for their families and loved ones and anyone who had to watch it happen.

Yeah, yikes to both then. Made a bad assumption based on so many summers in yellowstone seeing so many dumb people.

and yet despite my just-learned-of-hubris my first reaction is 'they probably weren't being bear safe', mostly because I myself need to be able to sleep in the wilderness. shout out to the fuckin whatever it was that left a sun bleached moose bone right outside my tent overnight this summer.

I mean, that's fair, you do you, but I think it's a shame to cut off sympathy, especially when you don't really know what's going on with someone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Laopooh posted:

The Alpinist: Excellent, it's a must watch. I loved everything about it. Great people, story, footage, emotion, points for contemplation, relatability, etc. Don't read spoilers, just roll it.

Honestly since 'Dear Zachary' I'm never watching a documentary unspoiled again. Don't look it up, it's a bummer. I like to know going in if someone dies or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

'I can't any more' or roughly that I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I always think of that one guy from the Everest TV show sitting at the summit and saying to the camera 'Nothing is more important to me than my kids'. I mean-- obviously that's not true or you wouldn't be taking this huge unnecessary risk. I suppose he didn't say 'nothing is more important to me than making sure my kids don't lose their father' but I feel like that should be bundled in, when you have kids. Like, try not to die. At least while they're little.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Honestly, hosed up but I have to respect the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think that's kinda nasty, don't do that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Captain Toasted posted:

Why would a c130 be leaving the mountain?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think a lot about that guy from one of the seasons of 'Everest-rest-rest-rest' who was filmed sitting on the mountain and talking about how nothing, nothing in his life is more important than his children. Wondering if he could hear himself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Facebook reminding me that it was 10 years ago today that I flew by Everest in an Air India 737 and snapped one of the best photos I've ever taken.

Daaaamn what a beautiful photo. You should submit that to some competition or other.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well I just watched that PBS Frontline 'Storm over Everest' documentary and I'm sad and furious all over again. What a loving waste. What a loving *shame*.

I feel like folk who've only heard about this thread think that it's full of bloodlust, that posters here actively hope people will die. And they don't realise maybe that it all comes from this howl of fury and distress that this *keeps happening*. And for what? For nothing. Argh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving hell. What a waste.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Elukka posted:

And then there's the "I paid for this! I'm not going back down!", ignoring the obvious advice given to save her life. So not exactly a professional mountaineer here.

Why do people insist on going to Everest to die.

I don't blame anyone specifically for things they say once they're up in the death zone. It's a place where rationality goes to die. Hence *nobody should be up there in the first place*.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Elukka posted:

This was, however, near base camp, during acclimation. Though maybe that's not much different depending on the state of her heart.

Oh poo poo really? I totally missed that, apologies. In that case yeah, she should never have been allowed near the drat mountain with that attitude.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Outrail posted:

People have a right to make their own choices and if that's to attempt to enter the death zone with death inducing conditions that's their choice.

Deer culling themselves from the herd as a cost efficient alternative to wolves.

Nah, we limit choices in a lot of ways when those choices are nothing but harmful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's in bed now. Looks utterly exhausted. This silly bastard is going to get someone killed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He's lying down and his heart rate is 115. That seems kinda high for sleeping.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well thank gently caress that didn't go any worse. Silly bastards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Switchback posted:

Have any of you watched Alone Australia? I loved it. There’s a dude who’s all “IM AN ALPHA MALE” who taps out on day 2. There is a super badass woman who brought a possum coat and a salt block and has an amazing incredibly tragic story, and I’m going to one of her workshops in two weeks. Can’t wait.

Thanks for the tip! Watching now. That land looks so *deeply* unfriendly. Mud and moss and cold water.

e: Aww that one lady is freaking herself out so efficiently. At least she's honest about it though.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 18, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The CNN article says it has either 70 or 96 hours of oxygen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Now I'm thinking about the Byford Dolphin incident. Which is both really gross, and the name of a fantastic track by general fuzz.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thrillseekers: As above, so below

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

In some ways I'm glad. It probably would have happened so fast they wouldn't have been aware.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Guy on CNN reporting that they found the pieces of the submersible but that, "The search for the crew continues."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the crew essentially a liquid now? I'm ignorant of these events, is there anything recognizable as human even left?

It's really hard to say, it depends exactly how the tank failed. This is going to seem ghoulish as hell and I don't mean it that way but there might be identifiable chunks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

drat someone at the BBC hates him, that is not a flattering picture lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

He died while Discovery+ was filming a documentary he and his team were in. Head's up: the trailer starts with the launch that killed him: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10715506/

The crazy rocket guy in my neighborhood and his son were also in the documentary. Here he is riding one of his jet carts down the road at 83 last summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuSj4l3SL_U
I originally found out about him because Spanish Colonials are really loving weird in Minnesota, the guy has giant rockets in his lawn, and the city lets him get away with hanging a fake Rocket Man Rd street sign on a city owned pole.
Take the house tour! Dude still has a lot of cool rockets and rocket vehicles on display he's built over the years and displays from his time working in the stunt industry.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...yp898?entry=ttu
The "Go Fast" rocket in the second picture was the first amateur rocket to hit space.

I'm probably going to be in Minneapolis sometime this year visiting my SO, perhaps we should pop over and see the rocket house.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I saw Robocop too young. What gave me nightmares wasn't any of the gory violence. It was the scene where the robot won't stop demanding the guy put his gun down even though he already did it. Brrrr.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really hope it's fake. That's horrible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jesus from that article:

quote:

Glue was coming away from the seams of ballast bags, and mounting bolts threatened to rupture them; both sealing faces had errant plunge holes and O-ring grooves that deviated from standard design parameters. The exostructure and electrical pods used different metals, which could result in galvanic corrosion when exposed to seawater. The thruster cables posed “snagging hazards”; the iridium satellite beacon, to transmit the submersible’s position after surfacing, was attached with zip ties. The flooring was highly flammable; the interior vinyl wrapping emitted “highly toxic gasses upon ignition.”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

:same:

That froze me numb for the rest of week when I first saw it. Meanwhile, dad and the rest of the family are laughing and moving on like the scene never happened.

Right?! My cousin was younger than me and he didn't care at all, but jeez. I still find it kinda hard to watch. I think if something gives you a proper scare as a little kid you'll never be able to see it differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Who cares? Rings!